The New Avengers - on ITV4

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

The New Avengers - on ITV4

Post by ozsat »

In case anyone is intereted - The New Avengers starts a daily run on ITV4 at 4.50pm on 11th Feb.

DMatthews
405 lines

Re: The New Avengers - on ITV4

Post by DMatthews »

Thanks for the heads-up! Undoubtedly they'll have at least five minutes slashed from the runtime but it will be interesting to see the print quality.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

DMatthews wrote: Undoubtedly they'll have at least five minutes slashed from the runtime
Been given a 65 minute slot - 4.50-5.55 - so not necessarily, assuming 3 ad breaks within the episode!
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

MrThunder
405 lines

Post by MrThunder »

They're not actually HD prints though, are they ?

Dandy Forsdyke
405 lines

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

MrThunder wrote:They're not actually HD prints though, are they ?
Not at all. I think they just altered some of the controls and taken away some of the detail as a consequence. I've not watched any of them, I'm just repeating what others have said.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

Checked the first 2 and they were uncut . Pity they don't give the same degree of respect to their other filmed action shows of the 70's .
The Sweeney and The Professionals both go out with much of the footage that made them infamous edited out , regardless of the time of day they get shown .Lazy ITV4 prepare one version and can't be arsed to air an uncut version and of course some of the more controversial episodes of both series don't ever get shown anyway.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Have been admiring what a really smart car the Rover SD1 remains today and the TR7 is not bad either,
terribly mocked at the time, slung together by unhappy workers and measly management using parts from the Morris Marina part bins - result many irrate customers sitting in Niagara falls during a shower.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

In the early/mid 80s my Dad had a blue Rover SD1 and a bright yellow Triumph TR7 for the weekends. Both good cars generally. I used to love the Rover as a kid, very comfy.

The period 70s cars are really part of the charm in these series. There's a beautiful metallic blue NSU Ro80 in a few eps of "the Protectors" too.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Roll ACR wrote:In the early/mid 80s my Dad had a blue Rover SD1 and a bright yellow Triumph TR7 for the weekends. Both good cars generally. I used to love the Rover as a kid, very comfy.

The period 70s cars are really part of the charm in these series. There's a beautiful metallic blue NSU Ro80 in a few eps of "the Protectors" too.
Must have had plenty of oomph too?- love that shot of the tyres squealing as Steed kicked down in mid flight

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Though never a TR7 fan, the other cars in TNA are gorgeous. That Jag Coupe, lousy a runner as it was, Purdey's Stag and those lovely Range Rovers. Oh and theres a Mini and an XJS thrown in! Heaven.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

As with The Professionals I was never a fan of The New Avengers way back, but now quite enjoy both shows on ITV4. Nice to see Pat Macnee and a young Joanna Lumley again.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The cars were great and added more style to it, but it remains a litle odd seeing Steed in anything other than a Bentley.

Don't think "Target" has been shown in this run, so far, has it.?..problem..?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

mariocki
405 lines

Post by mariocki »

'Rights issues' allegedly.

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

mariocki wrote:'Rights issues' allegedly.
More likely the emphasis on guns I would think.
Rights issues should be a thing of the past . Power of veto for actors was removed in the late 90's for non mainstream broadcasts.
Not sure what the situation is regarding writers but not heard of writers stopping repeats since the days of ITC on Bravo

deltavega
405 lines

Post by deltavega »

deltavega wrote:
mariocki wrote:'Rights issues' allegedly.
More likely the emphasis on guns , what with their involvement in several recent major news stories I would think.
Rights issues should be a thing of the past . Power of veto for actors was removed in the late 90's for non mainstream broadcasts.
Not sure what the situation is regarding writers but not heard of writers stopping repeats since the days of ITC on Bravo

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

bill wrote:As with The Professionals I was never a fan of The New Avengers way back, but now quite enjoy both shows on ITV4. Nice to see Pat Macnee and a young Joanna Lumley again.

Around 75/76 I recall the local news saying something like "guess who is coming back?" with that came the usual superb,crisp colour clip of Mrs Peel being chased in Murdersville. So when the New Avengers started I was dissapointed with the look which half the time looked like it was shot through net curtains with the studio scenes being also uninspiring and might as well been shot on video.
'The Look' can be completely forgiven though eh? if the story and pace is there and once again I felt (like Thriller) there was just too much Brian Clemens with his usual recycling and contempt for the viewer.

FFWD to today and I am enjoying the repeats and had whimsical thoughts that perhaps Joanna, Gareth and Ian Hendry would have been a great team working for somebody else? (even if to save the latter two from drifting into out of work alcoholism)

Dandy Forsdyke
405 lines

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I've read about Ian Hendry's alcoholism but not Gareth Hunt. According to his IMDB entries he was still working in his last years on TV and I know he toured in a play around this time because I nearly went to see it. He was also seen in an episode of Doctors a month before he died.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

The only episodes that I didn't warm to were the ones that I believe were filmed in France most of them for me were a snoozefest.