Television now.

What's currently on the box
prisoner5
625 lines

Television now.

Post by prisoner5 »

Saw for the first time on Saturday night Mrs Browns boys on bbc 1 and started thinking of tv years ago and all those clip shows that air today showing programmes we would see with the family eg The black and white minstrels,i wonder what we would have thought if back in the 60s we could see what we,ed be watching here now in 2018, the "F" word used frequently amongst other bad language. If the likes of Minstrels, mind you language, etc was the norm back then and explicit swearing acceptable now, whats going to be the norm 50 years from now ?

wittoner
625 lines

Re: Television now.

Post by wittoner »

I don't know but I think there's a good chance that future TV clip shows will look back with amazement at "Mrs Brown's Boys".

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

I don't think Mrs Brown's Boys could ever claim to be the pinnacle of Western culture, but I'm surprised that saying 'fuck' after the watershed should be seen as being on a par, in the ranks of 'things that probably shouldn't be the basis for an entertainment show', with caricaturing people on the basis of their skin colour.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Excessive swearing wears off, needless, becomes boring and not necessary and only done as a spice to jazz up a comedy, "Till death us do part" worked well with out it, controversial in many other ways and wouldnt probably get an airing today.
Just think Saturday night prime time viewing on a major network should be more family friendly or toned down a degree or make the watershed 10.00pm.
Its a pity because i reckon the show could be funnier and better than it is.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I am utterly mystified as to why anyone objects to post-watershed swearing.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

In my opinion this show would be better with less F words, appealing to more people, no need to try and be more outrageous,look at other popular comedy shows they dont rely on the number of times the star says "fuck". Its Saturday night tv for everyone, just think it would be better toned down.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Swearing on television these days seems to be done more as a badge of credibility. Look at Westworld. The swearing in that always seems so forced to me. It's as if they have a minimum quota of F's that have to be fitted into each episode. Some of the cast do it so badly too, overemphasising the expletives and making it unconvincing. The sad thing there of course is that it's a perfectly good enough show without having to try and be "edgy".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against swearing on television, I just don't think it should be done for the sake of it.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Agreed Michael, bang on.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ghughesarch wrote:I don't think Mrs Brown's Boys could ever claim to be the pinnacle of Western culture, but I'm surprised that saying 'fuck' after the watershed should be seen as being on a par, in the ranks of 'things that probably shouldn't be the basis for an entertainment show', with caricaturing people on the basis of their skin colour.

That old chestnut again about the minstrels.. while the minstrels may have sinister origins, you could say the same about a clown's origins caricaturing very sick and mad white people with it's pasty face,red nose and red lips (although I have yet to see a black person with white lips as the minstrels had)
..I hardly think old ladies and men stuck around their one bar electric fire and 17 inch TV (after a very tiresome war) were thinking "oo I like the minstrels because they have funny black people"..the minstrel show for them was an hour's fantasy escape from their probably drudge laden world.
Even in the 60s the BBC were well aware of the mounting criticism against a very popular show and so piloted a show called 'Masquerade' ..this was basically the Minstrel show without black face. This was not a success because it turned off the heterosexual male viewer ..with black face the fantasy and disconnection from reality enabled the heterosexual male to enjoy the dancing and singing routines without embarrassment..however once they became ordinary white blokes (in the dialect of the era) they became 'poofters prancing about' ..and if they had used real black people I think the result would have been just the same.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

fatcat wrote:
ghughesarch wrote:I don't think Mrs Brown's Boys could ever claim to be the pinnacle of Western culture, but I'm surprised that saying 'fuck' after the watershed should be seen as being on a par, in the ranks of 'things that probably shouldn't be the basis for an entertainment show', with caricaturing people on the basis of their skin colour.

That old chestnut again about the minstrels.. while the minstrels may have sinister origins, you could say the same about a clown's origins caricaturing very sick and mad white people with it's pasty face,red nose and red lips (although I have yet to see a black person with white lips as the minstrels had)
..I hardly think old ladies and men stuck around their one bar electric fire and 17 inch TV (after a very tiresome war) were thinking "oo I like the minstrels because they have funny black people"..the minstrel show for them was an hour's fantasy escape from their probably drudge laden world.
Even in the 60s the BBC were well aware of the mounting criticism against a very popular show and so piloted a show called 'Masquerade' ..this was basically the Minstrel show without black face. This was not a success because it turned off the heterosexual male viewer ..with black face the fantasy and disconnection from reality enabled the heterosexual male to enjoy the dancing and singing routines without embarrassment..however once they became ordinary white blokes (in the dialect of the era) they became 'poofters prancing about' ..and if they had used real black people I think the result would have been just the same.

Well, er, wow! So we can either have funny darkies, or poofters prancing about? And it's wrong to think that perhaps those attitudes, even at the time, were a bit past it? I was alive back in the 70s and remember thinking the minstrels were a bit odd and not quite my experience of the single black kid at my school, who had to put up with a lot of shit.
Dragging a war which had finished more than 30 years earlier into the argument to justify it looks like a bit of a stretch, at best.

And those aren't supposed to be white lips, they're teeth. The source of the 'wide-grinning picaninnies' mentioned by Enoch Powell.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

fatcat wrote:

Sorry, something else that strikes me about the comment, and which deserves to be treated separately:
On the one hand, the Minstrel Show wasn't racist because the audience didn't notice that the performers were doing comedy nigger (let's use the word) stuff. But it was a huge success?
But on the other hand, when they did the same material, *without* the comedy nigger make up, it was a flop?

Hmmmm.

But to get back to where this thread started, would Mrs Brown be funny without the fucks? Is it funny anyway? Do the fucks have anything to with it, or is it just a load of slapstick crap where a bloke in a dress falls off a Christmas tree and an audience of imbeciles wet themselves laughing?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ghughesarch wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Well, er, wow! So we can either have funny darkies, or poofters prancing about? And it's wrong to think that perhaps those attitudes, even at the time, were a bit past it? I was alive back in the 70s and remember thinking the minstrels were a bit odd and not quite my experience of the single black kid at my school, who had to put up with a lot of shit.
Dragging a war which had finished more than 30 years earlier into the argument to justify it looks like a bit of a stretch, at best.

And those aren't supposed to be white lips, they're teeth. The source of the 'wide-grinning picaninnies' mentioned by Enoch Powell.
You have totally missed my point that the Minstrels represented a separate non existent human entity ie a fantasy.. .nobody you knew looked like them did they?..just as no white person you might know looks like a clown ( unless they are very ill) and the racist overtones appear to be coming from you as granny and grandad didn't sit down each week to 'have a laugh mocking black people' they wanted a bit of glitz and glamour escapism ..The B/W Minstrel Show started in the 50s, when the UK was the last euro country to come off food rationing and so yes there was still the fall out from WW2.
... and yes if grandad had sat in his tea break at work saying "did you see the Lionel Blair dancers and singers on Sat night wern't they good" he might have got at least a funny look from those at his work with perhaps a macho culture of the time- however if he had said "did you see the B/W Minstrel Show dancing and singing to 'if I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake'" they would have probably said "yeah wasn't it good"

My classroom also had one black guy in it- and he was certainly more popular than I was.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

I was born in 1954, so as a kid the family gathered around the tv on a Saturday night and watched this singing and dancing show, that was all it was, just that, this was normal back then, and as for the cowboys and indians,we would cheer when an indian got shot, we all carried guns as kids reliving those scenes from American western series.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

As you're all intent on showing off that you can use the f-word in postings, can I point out that mostly Mrs Brown uses the Irish word 'feck' which comes from the Scots and late Middle English word effeck (from which come the words efficacy, effect). The word has no sexual connotations and is in general use in Ireland. Burns used it, as in
"I hae been a Devil the feck o' my life,
Hey, and the rue grows bonie wi' thyme;
"But ne'er was in hell till I met wi' a wife,"
And the thyme it is wither'd, and rue is in prime"

On other occasions, Mrs Brown uses the word 'buckin' which you may also have misheard and interpreted in your own mind as something else.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

When Carroll was asked to say something in character on "The One Show", with it's 7pm start time, he used the word 'feck', or 'fecking' and the presenters had to apologise, presumably because It sounded to close to the other!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Splitting hairs .