Dad's Army Remakes

What's currently on the box
Dave Homewood
405 lines

Dad's Army Remakes

Post by Dave Homewood »

I thought there might be some discussion here on the forum of the planned remakes of three of the lost episodes of Dad's Army (The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker, A Stripe For Frazer and Under Fire).

https://www.floor8.com/posts/14777-sir- ... ners/42822

Any thoughts and casting suggestions?

We have a thread on the Dad's Army Discussion Forum here for anyone interested:
http://walmington.proboards.com/thread/ ... t-episodes

brigham
HD

Re: Dad's Army Remakes

Post by brigham »

Joanna Lumley is the obvious choice for Sgt. Wilson...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:Joanna Lumley is the obvious choice for Sgt. Wilson...
Well, he did have an eye for the ladies!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Can't say I like the idea much really, obviously like most, I'm still hoping the originals will turn up, but as it's Gold it could be an amusing novelty.

I suppose there's a few Actors who can do reasonable impressions of the characters, but as the recent film proved, despite a good cast, there can never be a substitute for the original performers who are inseparable from their on-screen counterparts.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Like the suggested Mainwaring - David Jason, and Wilson - Hugh Lawrie

Frazer - Graeme Garden
Godfrey - Giles Brandeth
Pike - Rob Beckett
Jones - Jeremy Irons
Walker - Jonathan Ross
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Private Frazer wrote:Like the suggested Mainwaring - David Jason, and Wilson - Hugh Lawrie

Frazer - Graeme Garden
Godfrey - Giles Brandeth
Pike - Rob Beckett
Jones - Jeremy Irons
Walker - Jonathan Ross
I doubt Gold could afford some of them, to be fair.

What about Brian Murphy as Jones?

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Or Bernard Cribbins as Jones, Timothy West as Godfrey.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Of course it's easy to forget that Jones was played by relatively young Actor in Clive Dunn, are there any young Actors now that can do 'Old'?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:Of course it's easy to forget that Jones was played by relatively young Actor in Clive Dunn, are there any young Actors now that can do 'Old'?
It would probably be seen as 'offensive'.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Also needs to be made, (even if only using one) EMI 2001 Cameras, to keep it in line with the originals, recording in digital will not work at all.

If they need laughter, play the episodes out to an audience at TV Centre or Pinewood.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

swills wrote:Also needs to be made, (even if only using one) EMI 2001 Cameras, to keep it in line with the originals, recording in digital will not work at all.

If they need laughter, play the episodes out to an audience at TV Centre or Pinewood.
Surely trying to mimic the original too much will make it all the worse. Use the scripts but make it look fresh and don't use look-a-likes at the expense of good actors.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

swills wrote: If they need laughter, play the episodes out to an audience at TV Centre or Pinewood.
With the Eidophor.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

David Jason is far too old play Mainwaring. Lowe and Le Mesurier were in their mid-50s when the original series started, with Lowe being the younger of the two. Both are supposed to be Great War veterans, which is plausible given that their characters would have been in their late-20s/early-30s during that conflict. Jason is 78, for God's sake, and looks it. It would mean his character would have been 50 when he was posted to France in 1919. Ridiculous.

On a related note, given that BBC2 have now cycled round to the first series yet again, and will no doubt run into what survives of the second, it will be interesting to see if they include the animated A Stripe for Frazer....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Must be zero chance of the animated one getting a showing, as good as it is, it remains a novelty.

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

I agree with Nick Cooper that David Jason is way too old. He's even older than Arnold Ridley was when the episodes were made in 1968.

I had an idea, since there are a lot of smaller characters in the three episodes perhaps they should try to cast some of the regulars of the Croft And Perry company who would not only add some great performances to the shows but also they would probably be truer to the legacy of the great writers. So my ideas for casting the lesser characters with C&P actors are:

To add a little bit of Croft and Perry magic to the remakes it would be great if they could cast some of the cast from their other shows in roles for these ones.

For example:

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Walker
Private Sponge (originally Colin Bean) Perry Benson
Mr. Reed (originally Edward Evans) Jeff Holland
Chairwoman (originally Diana King) Susie Brann
Capt. Cutts (originally Michael Knowles) Richard Gibson
Medical Officer (originally Robert Lankesheer) David Griffin
Soldier (originally Larry Martyn) ?
Blonde (originally Gilda Perry) ?
War Office Brigadier (originally Anthony Sharp) Michael Knowles

A Stripe For Frazer
Captain Square (originally Geoffrey Lumsden) ?
Policeman (originally Gordon Peters) Gavin Richards
Captain Bailey (originally John Ringham) Arthur Bostrom

Under Fire
Mrs. Mavis Pike (originally Janet Davies) Catherine Rabett
Mrs. Witt (originally Gladys Dawson) Su Pollard or Vicky Michelle
Captain Square (originally Geoffrey Lumsden) ?
Warden Hodges (originally Bill Pertwee) ?
Captain Bailey (originally John Ringham) Arthur Bostrom
Sigmund Murphy (originally Ernst Ulman) Guy Siner
Mrs. Keen (originally Queenie Watts) Ruth Madoc or Kirsten Cooke

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

I think the casting will be an extremely tricky task for whoever is making these shows.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm not sure Catherine Rabett is still Acting, is she?, thought she was great in "You Rang M' Lord".

What about Nigel Havers for Wilson and Brian Conley for Hodges.

Mention of Larry Martyn, he was spot on as Walker in the Radio version.

By the way, not seen it mentioned, but Gold have a four-part Doc coming up in November.

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

You're right about Larry Martyn being spot on, he really had Walker down to a tee. But then he should have, because James Beck and Larry Martyn had been best friends for many years. It must have been a little tough but also a privilege stepping into Jimmy's role and bringing his best mate's most famous character back to life.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Walker was my favourite character, and Larry Martyn certainly did him justice, he was a very good actor.

I loved it when Walker would make a cheeky remark, and then look surprised when Mainwaring threatened to send him out.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Hopefully not too far off topic but I've just watched the 4 part UKGold documentary 'Saluting Dad's Army' and I wondered whether there was a reason Ian Lavender was nowhere to be seen - the only main cast member was Frank Williams, along with a few crew; people who stared in an odd episode; and sons of the cast. On the topic of actors who appeared in the occasional episode, both Michael Knowles and Jeff Holland were talking heads. Both apparently were part of Jimmy Perry's rep company, which he seemed to favour in all of the series. However, aside from their huge success in the C&P series, they never really did much outside of them - was it a case of typecasting, or perhaps they weren't that talented and without those they never got much tv work?

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

Ian lavender has been very ill lately with Sepsus. Perhaps that is why he was not part of the series.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I don't get UKGold so haven't seen the series so can anyone tell me if the Radio Times photographer Don Smith appeared in it? I know he went along to be interviewed but documentary makers like known faces on screen.

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

He does appear Steve. Someone kindly linked the series to the Dad's Army Discussion Forum if you want to watch

http://walmington.proboards.com/post/17071/thread

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

stearn wrote:I don't get UKGold so haven't seen the series so can anyone tell me if the Radio Times photographer Don Smith appeared in it? I know he went along to be interviewed but documentary makers like known faces on screen.
He got quite a bit of screen time and was telling a story of taking his son to the set and how Arthur Lowe was nice to him.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Ah, nice to hear it. I'm having lunch with Don in a couple of weeks so will see if I can hunt down a copy for him.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Glad to see they used a short clip I suggested. :) Although I got no "thanks to" note. :(
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:Glad to see they used a short clip I suggested. :) Although I got no "thanks to" note. :(
Which one was that?

Seen the first three, as shown on Gold, very interesting, not sure about the Bontempi theme though!

The Don Smith stuff was lovely, it's thanks to great photographers like him, we have such a visual treat of classic shows.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Glad to see they used a short clip I suggested. :) Although I got no "thanks to" note. :(
Which one was that?
Clive's appearance on a foreign quiz show. :)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:
Which one was that?
Clive's appearance on a foreign quiz show. :)
Nice one, great clip, interesting to see examples of various shows popularity overseas.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:Nice one, great clip, interesting to see examples of various shows popularity overseas.
There's a video online of three people walking in a mall in Holland just a few years ago, all dressed in nazi uniforms...
But it's OK, everybody was fine...!

Why? Because they were some of the 'Allo 'allo cast! It left such an impression that it excuses going out dressed as a nazi. :o

(OK, the general, colonel and lieutenant may have been wehrmacht and not necessarily party members, but they were all on the same side.)