Public Eye on Talking Pictures TV

What's currently on the box
Focus II
625 lines

Public Eye on Talking Pictures TV

Post by Focus II »

Surprised no one else has mentioned this.
Been showing all the Thames produced episodes, now currently showing the 1972 series.

Good news- original Thames branding present and correct. Break bumpers missing but otherwise two breaks per episode.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: Public Eye on Talking Pictures TV

Post by Ian Wegg »

Focus II wrote:Break bumpers missing but otherwise two breaks per episode.
...although curiously not in the right places.

I was first made aware of Public Eye by an item on our local daily news programme Day By Day. Alfred Burke was interviewed, in character as Frank Marker, on the platform of Brighton railway station talking about why he had been in prison and what he was going to be doing in Brighton; so this would have been just before the start of series 4 in July 1969. Watching the series on TPTV has been enjoyable, not least to see parts of Brighton that have now disappeared (I had completely forgotten about that revolving "sputnik" on the seafront), but I don't recall any of the details of that season.

Now were are into series 5 set in Windsor I am seeing episodes I recall. I can remember that the side issue of the empty coffee tin in episode 1 was something that originally drew me to the show, that sort of mundane detail gave the programme the sort of realism that was rare at that time.

For various reasons, some episodes are colour and some black and white. This seems to be one show where the B&W actually works better.

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Fatcat did mention it on the 'Coming Soon On freeview channels thread.

Series 4 was supplied with the wrong ident sometimes though.

Saw the last of Benda Cavendish, several eps ago, shame that, and the Christmas one Is always good fun, one of the joys of the series is the little touches like Marker lighting the heater or making coffee/Dinner, and the on-going joke with the increasingly tatty tea mug.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I noticed on TPtv in his first adventure at Apollo Aerials there was muted dialog here and there - a bit odd if it was swearing as all the previous eps seemed ok with it.

I vaguely remember Frank's move to Chertsey and the fact he had moved was a sign that we were in for a long run, but of course it disappeared forever after that season.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, not sure why the swearing was muted, the same was done on some episodes of "The Gentle Touch".

Last series, supposedly because Alfred Burke didn't want to do it if it went over to a proposed all film production, as it would have changed it too much, if so I agree with him.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Yes, not sure why the swearing was muted, the same was done on some episodes of "The Gentle Touch".

Last series, supposedly because Alfred Burke didn't want to do it if it went over to a proposed all film production, as it would have changed it too much, if so I agree with him.
Ha yes Someone said they wanted to move it over to Thames's "swag bag and Ford Transit" department Euston Films.
-poor old Frank would have been chased with sorn off shot guns and Jags flying through his Apollo aerials window LOL..So agree good move for Alfred.

The series has been a reminder of how caring people use to be, because grumpy Frank is the very last type of person anyone would care about today..but then they did not expect anything in return from Frank just to see if he was ok ..I remember those attitudes.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I actually think a move to all-film could have been really interesting, just to shake things up a bit. Euston were doing amazing work so I am sure they’d have produced excelllent episodes.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Simon36 wrote:I actually think a move to all-film could have been really interesting, just to shake things up a bit. Euston were doing amazing work so I am sure they’d have produced excelllent episodes.
I'm sure it would have been a great series, but not necessarily a follow-on to the original Public Eye.
A bit like 'Special Branch' in its latter incarnation.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It would have been very different, less dialogue led, losing that melancholic mellow paced atmosphere that made it so irresistible to watch.

I was never a big fan of Euston Films, the best examples, for me, were "Danger UXB" and "Quatermass", as good as the latter was, I can't help feel the BBC version would have been better (presumably Multi-Cam).

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Nice to see it being shown on TV. Does seem strange that the into/out of break sting & cap have been removed and the breaks placed at odd moments even though the cue dots are there to leave no doubt where they were intended to be. Has anyone else noticed that although most eps of this and “The Gentle Touch” on TPTV look fine as 50i video, the odd ep of “PE” and a good many of “TGT” crop up appearing to have been de-interlaced or perhaps wrongly processed for file delivery. The motion is filmic rather than smooth “video look”.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Roll ACR wrote:Nice to see it being shown on TV. Does seem strange that the into/out of break sting & cap have been removed and the breaks placed at odd moments even though the cue dots are there to leave no doubt where they were intended to be. Has anyone else noticed that although most eps of this and “The Gentle Touch” on TPTV look fine as 50i video, the odd ep of “PE” and a good many of “TGT” crop up appearing to have been de-interlaced or perhaps wrongly processed for file delivery. The motion is filmic rather than smooth “video look”.
Yes, I have noticed that, as you say, might be how TPTV received them.

On last nights episode, there were more sound mutes for swearing, B*****D was muted twice later on, but left in tact on one occasion near the start, very odd.!