"The London Studios:Home Of The Stars"

What's currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"The London Studios:Home Of The Stars"

Post by Mark »

Get the Kleenex ready.

A tribute to The London Studios, Saturday, 8pm, ITV..
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: "The London Studios:Home Of The Stars"

Post by fatcat »

Seems incredible it's all being destroyed as Kent Tower (was that what it was called?) is by no means an ugly blot on the landscape IMHO. I think the last traditional VT drama made there was the The Charmer which of course is long time ago now. But LWT upped it's game to ATV when it moved there and it did indeed became "'home of the stars" and while it's LE output was glitz and glamour it wasn't all garishly coloured game shows that we have to put up with on the weekend now.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

fatcat wrote:Seems incredible it's all being destroyed as Kent Tower (was that what it was called?) is by no means an ugly blot on the landscape IMHO. I think the last traditional VT drama made there was the The Charmer which of course is long time ago now. But LWT upped it's game to ATV when it moved there and it did indeed became "'home of the stars" and while it's LE output was glitz and glamour it wasn't all garishly coloured game shows that we have to put up with on the weekend now.
The entire site was known as ‘The South Bank Television Centre’, the tower block which contained mainly offices was known as Kent House (after the Duke of Kent who opened it and no doubt we will see the 16mm footage of the construction of the site and the topping out ceremony by the Duke - it is widely available on YouTube). The studios were largely contained within the 3 story block to the East and North of the tower block and was known as the ‘Podium’. It was a long time ago and it may well be The Charmer was the last Studio drama produced there, but I think it would be a close run thing with ‘Wish me Luck’.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

You’re right, “Wish Me Luck” ran into 1990 (presumably RX 1989) and “The Charmer” was 1987 so I rather think that “Wish Me Luck” was the last LWT multi-cam drama recorded at TLS. Although of course there may have been subsequent stuff. Where was “A Perfect Hero” recorded? TX 1991 and it was a co-production involving LWT...? Although perhaps I’m misremembering and it was entirely location video...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

LWT was my favourite ITV company, so this show was as ultimately depressing as the tribute to TV Centre.

Some nice set pieces though, such as the "World Of Sport" one, some good albeit brief clips including "Russ Abbots Madhouse", but no clips form another favourite, "Cannon And Ball".

Very pleased to see "Metal Mickey" covered and some clips from "Saturday Scene".

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Roll ACR wrote:You’re right, “Wish Me Luck” ran into 1990 (presumably RX 1989) and “The Charmer” was 1987 so I rather think that “Wish Me Luck” was the last LWT multi-cam drama recorded at TLS. Although of course there may have been subsequent stuff. Where was “A Perfect Hero” recorded? TX 1991 and it was a co-production involving LWT...? Although perhaps I’m misremembering and it was entirely location video...
I don’t know about ‘Perfect Hero’ off the top of my head I’m afraid.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I could never think of it as "The London Studios" only the LWT studios. I was working the other side of the rive when they still had the scaffolding up on the tower and the building next to it had Daily Mil on the frontage. It was only modern looking building between Blackfriars and Waterloo bridges as the National Theatre was still in its early building stage. It definitely seems to be the end of an era.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Brian F wrote:I could never think of it as "The London Studios" only the LWT studios.
Bit late for that attitude, is it not?

LWT has been gone for 16 years and you could argue it spiritually died with the 1990 Broadcasting Act.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Brian F wrote:I could never think of it as "The London Studios" only the LWT studios. I was working the other side of the rive when they still had the scaffolding up on the tower and the building next to it had Daily Mil on the frontage. It was only modern looking building between Blackfriars and Waterloo bridges as the National Theatre was still in its early building stage. It definitely seems to be the end of an era.
There are many pictures of the building during its construction phase but I’m afraid they are not publically available.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

What a strange programme. I’m sure a huge amount of the audience were oblivious as to the building’s significance (it’s not the symbol that TVC was) and also, since LWT went, it has become even less significant. People were mourning that it’s closing, though of course no one told us why!

The fact that Upstairs Downstairs got a five second clip but Metal Mickey got a whole section was bizarre. I thought it was very dreary actually, though I was tickled by the idea of Bradley Walsh playing Knock Down Ginger.

Although he was very frail, I thought Dickie Davies looked pretty good for 89!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Simon36 wrote:I’m sure a huge amount of the audience were oblivious as to the building’s significance (it’s not the symbol that TVC was)
Probably not if you lived outside London, but if you were an LWT viewer in the 70s/80s then you'd see a picture of the tower sticking up behind the continuity announcer at every programme junction.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Brock wrote:
Simon36 wrote:I’m sure a huge amount of the audience were oblivious as to the building’s significance (it’s not the symbol that TVC was)
Probably not if you lived outside London, but if you were an LWT viewer in the 70s/80s then you'd see a picture of the tower sticking up behind the continuity announcer at every programme junction.

As I said, less so since LWT wound up, and even before that, it was never a symbol of tv like TVC was to Joe Public. As a child I always thought that building was just their offices.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Have to say that I can’t visualise anything for the London studios. Given that the vast majority of viewers live/lived outside London it really seems a fuss over nothing compared to TVC.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Simon36 wrote:The fact that Upstairs Downstairs got a five second clip but Metal Mickey got a whole section was bizarre.
The demographics being aimed at - people who were young kids in the 1980s who remember and loved Metal Mickey. You would have to be getting on in years for the original Upstairs Downstairs to have a meaningful emotional connection.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Duncan wrote:Have to say that I can’t visualise anything for the London studios. Given that the vast majority of viewers live/lived outside London it really seems a fuss over nothing compared to TVC.
I had similar thoughts. I couldn't help thinking about all the other shows that could have been made over the last couple of decades. Fred DInenage did one for Southern's Northam studios which for me was far more interesting (and incidentally also featured Metal Mickey and Mike Mansfield).

~iw

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Duncan wrote:Have to say that I can’t visualise anything for the London studios. Given that the vast majority of viewers live/lived outside London it really seems a fuss over nothing compared to TVC.

Obviously like TVC it's programmes were shared all over the place and you might have enjoyed something that came from there?

However I thought the so called tribute was just a bit of fluff

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Simon36 wrote:What a strange programme. I’m sure a huge amount of the audience were oblivious as to the building’s significance (it’s not the symbol that TVC was) and also, since LWT went, it has become even less significant.
Surely it became more well known nationally in the last few years - Ant and Dec used the tower both in it's titles and for stunts, and Good Morning Britain featured the tower in it's title sequence. It was seen more on air than it had been since the early 80's.

It did seem that they made more of the building after TVC closed to make the most of the loss of one iconic TV building

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Brian F wrote:I could never think of it as "The London Studios" only the LWT studios.
They stopped being LWT's studios in the late 80's when they spun off their production resources as a separate company, eventually called 'The London Studios'. Not long after that a load of other TV companies moved into the building itself.

They were The London Studios for longer than they were LWT studios.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

And of course, it was seen nationally here:

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I have to say, I always think of it in relation to LWT ( but then I still think of their previous home as Wembley Studios) and the recognisable look of the building.

I suppose the tribute was more to do with all the well loved programmes that were made there, rather than the look of the building for most people.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

yellowtriumph wrote:There are many pictures of the building during its construction phase but I’m afraid they are not publically available.
There's a brief glimpse of the tower with scaffolding round it that popped up in this video.https://youtu.be/_6vU7bWyLNg?t=441.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Went there in 2006 for a studio recording of E4's truly horrendous Blunder "comedy" sketch show. I still have nightmares....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]