Going a Bundle - Southern TV

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

Going a Bundle - Southern TV

Post by ozsat »

Talking Pictures have scheduled an episode of 'Going a Bundle' on 22 Feb. From Southern TV in 1976.

Mark
Committee

Re: Going a Bundle - Southern TV

Post by Mark »

Wouldn't mind seeing that again, haven't done since it was on.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Enjoyed this hugely, Fowler's banter reminded me of his great double act with Kenny Lynch on "Get This", we even got a 'Follow Flogger' from him.

It was also a great snapshot of the printing world back then, and had to laugh at the PG rating, not suitable for younger viewers...!

Service Information
405 lines

Post by Service Information »

Yes, I too was puzzled by the PG rating. Guess they use it as a catch-all in today's snowflake-y world.

Did enjoy the insight into the days when papers were produced by moving bits of metal about - can't be long before kids are asking 'what was a newspaper?' !

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I was wondering about the theme music, it seems it was also the theme to Southern TV's news programme, "Day By Day".

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Mark wrote:I was wondering about the theme music, it seems it was also the theme to Southern TV's news programme, "Day By Day".
Funny, I remember the theme being a song (possibly sung by Fowler?). Unless that was just either the opening or closing. And unless that was just the series that I remember seeing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
Mark wrote:I was wondering about the theme music, it seems it was also the theme to Southern TV's news programme, "Day By Day".
Funny, I remember the theme being a song (possibly sung by Fowler?). Unless that was just either the opening or closing. And unless that was just the series that I remember seeing.
Don't remember that, and I can't recall what the theme was for "Get This", although I would assume both series themes were Library tracks.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

if memory serves, The Theme to "Get This" was an original song written and sung by Kenny Lynch in a contemporary 70s funk/soul style.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Could be, I remember the series well, but not the theme, although library music was used more often in children's series of course.

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
I recently got a copy of a single by Harry Fowler that has 'Going A Bundle' on the b-side - presumably that's the same song? I did wonder whether the Day By Day theme was written for Going A Bundle first though, especially as John Hawkins gets a credit for it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Mclean wrote:
Nigel Stapley wrote:
I recently got a copy of a single by Harry Fowler that has 'Going A Bundle' on the b-side - presumably that's the same song? I did wonder whether the Day By Day theme was written for Going A Bundle first though, especially as John Hawkins gets a credit for it.
Nigel's memory was spot on then!, just had a quick look and both sides 'from Going A Bundle'.

John Hawkins appeared in the first series in 1974.

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Coo. Ta for that.

Harry Fowler single

Al

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

And I tell you that I'm so relieved that I didn't imagine it!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, very good memory there!

Odd though, I remember both shows but not the themes, and I used to Audio record ones I really liked, every thing from "Seaside Special" to "Devenish", but not those two!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Jonathon Coudrille was responsible for the theme to "Get This" , it seems, not a library track then.

No sign of a commercial release though.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

wittoner wrote:if memory serves, The Theme to "Get This" was an original song written and sung by Kenny Lynch in a contemporary 70s funk/soul style.
Ok, entirely from memory the lyrics:

"Hey there look at the world, dig what you see,
It's such a groovy place to live in and it's calling to me,
If you want to be a drifter use the world as your home,
Goin' to travel like a rolling stone,
GET THIS!
"

The tune is also in the same place (my unreliable memory) but I'm afraid I lack any ability to transcribe it. Certainly 70's, though not sure if it's exactly "funk/sole". It is just possible that I have a recording of it somewhere in my audio tape collection.

Jonathan X Coudrille was responsible for the music on Get This! but I see on his own website that he only claims credit for the theme to series 1, so perhaps the one I remember is a later Kenny Lynch one.

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Impressive memory there Ian!

Shame that one didn't make it to a commercial release.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Thanks for confirming my memory Ian.

I was winging it a bit when I said "written and sung by Kenny Lynch". I may be basing that on a memory of something in the credits
or just making a leap because of Kenny's history as a songwriter and the fact that it just sounded like him.

And yeah maybe not "funk/soul" more Blood Sweat and Tears style jazz/pop/rock. It's all fragments of memory from long ago!