Forces TV: Space 1999

What's currently on the box
swills
405 lines

Forces TV: Space 1999

Post by swills »

Did anyone see the 1st episode of SPACE 1999 in Forces TV,, really good to see this on TV again, cant really go wrong with any Gerry Anderson stuff :-) HOWEVER..they cut two and half minutes out, I assume to make it fit, the bit they chose was the whole reason for the two series ! The explosion that took the Moon out of orbit, and how of course the premise for the rest of the series ! Now who thought that was a good idea at Forces TV ? :-)

Mark
Committee

Re: Forces TV: Space 1999

Post by Mark »

I did wonder what had happened when it came back after the break, and they were all flying about!...tech problems.

The missing bit was shown before tonight's episode, and the complete version again on Saturday.

"UFO" repeats had cuts made for violence and also the scene in ep 1 of Lt Ellis getting changed!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote: ..."UFO" repeats had cuts made for violence and also the scene in ep 1 of Lt Ellis getting changed!
Egad! You could see her ANKLES!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote: ..."UFO" repeats had cuts made for violence and also the scene in ep 1 of Lt Ellis getting changed!
Egad! You could see her ANKLES!
Not to mention her knees ( Gulp!).

Actually I'd be surprised if Forces were responsible for the various cuts though.

The ITV Saturday lunchtime repeats in the 80's, were uncut AFAIR.

Alice80
405 lines

Post by Alice80 »

Mark wrote:I did wonder what had happened when it came back after the break, and they were all flying about!...tech problems.

The missing bit was shown before tonight's episode, and the complete version again on Saturday.
I said to my husband it looked like they'd left the tape running while the ads were on...

But I've noticed that the slots are now going to 5 minutes past the hour so I guess they realised they'd need the extra time...

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

swills wrote:Did anyone see the 1st episode of SPACE 1999 in Forces TV,, really good to see this on TV again, cant really go wrong with any Gerry Anderson stuff :-) HOWEVER..they cut two and half minutes out, I assume to make it fit, the bit they chose was the whole reason for the two series ! The explosion that took the Moon out of orbit, and how of course the premise for the rest of the series ! Now who thought that was a good idea at Forces TV ? :-)
Not that different from Central's repeat of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons in the 1980s where they cut out the bit that made it clear that the Martians' intent was only to look more closely at the MEV crew, this making it appear that the MEV crew were responding to an possible attack and so all of CSatM was perfectly justified rather than a horrible mistake.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The ITV screening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK on 2nd Jan 1989 tried to fit a 115 minute film into a 135 minute slot that also had to have a space for a fifteen minute news bulletin.

The solution? End the first part with Jones trapped with the snakes in the Well of Souls, and after the news viewers rejoined the film a good ten minutes or so further on.

HTV West thought more of the execrable George Walker/PKP series WORLDS BEYOND than critics and viewers, and gave a handful of episodes repeats. It was because of that I realised that one of the original screenings was from an edited print, which had had the opening three minutes or so, (which included the title and star captions), removed. I forget which ep it was, and I junked the tapes long ago, but the longer repeat made slightly more sense with its prologue intact...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Alice80 wrote:
Mark wrote:I did wonder what had happened when it came back after the break, and they were all flying about!...tech problems.

I said to my husband it looked like they'd left the tape running while the ads were on...

But I've noticed that the slots are now going to 5 minutes past the hour so I guess they realised they'd need the extra time...
Oh yes, I see what you mean, the missing bit shown before ep 2 was about the length of the ad break, how unfortunate it was the crucial bit!