Thoughts on Van Der Valk

What's currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Thoughts on Van Der Valk

Post by fatcat »

Don't recall much of Van Der Valk just remember it was a popular show. Now watching Van Der Valk on TPtv my first reaction was that it all seemed rather odd in every way (for a detective show.) including.. titles..music..Van Der Valk as a police officer etc.

However thanks to Bazza Foster I am enjoying it now and along for the ride.most enjoyable was the ep with some of our favourite actors playing Serbian rascals and Christopher Benjamin as a very shifty boss, and a reminder that issues that can happen with drifting populations are same today as the were in 1972.
I hope viewers have stuck with it( if their first reaction was the same as mine) and wondered what the forum's opinion of it is?

Mark
Committee

Re: Thoughts on Van Der Valk

Post by Mark »

As a Multi-Cam studio fan, I always prefer the VT series, although the first series of "VDV" seems to take a while to get going, Van Der Valk and Kroon seem to spend a lot of the first episode drinking and eating.

For series 2, Robert Banks Stewart was story editor, and writers like Phillip Broadley and Jeremy Paul were brought in, which seems to liven it up a bit, with more interesting storylines.

Series 3 started last night, and you can tell it's Euston films, right from the opening scene, with...a car chase!...we are in Sweeneyland now.

A number of set action pieces tell the story now, as opposed to the character and dialogue driven plots of the first two series.

That's not to say series 3 isn't good, it works very well indeed, but it does seem a little more shallow than the early series.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Having said that, tonight's episode ( from Ted Childs) was at least an attempt to be more like the first two series, somewhat calmer than the 'Action' opener, to grab the viewers, but still, as you would expect, shorter scenes, so more of them.

It's a nice touch that they retained a version of the look to camera, in the end credits, as with series 1 and 2.

By co-incidence, tonight's episode was directed by Tom Clegg and featured Patrick Troughton, and if you then switched over to Forces TV, you could see the last episode of "Space 1999", "The Dorcons", same director and guest star.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote: Series 3 started last night, and you can tell it's Euston films, right from the opening scene, with...a car chase!...we are in Sweeneyland now.

A number of set action pieces tell the story now, as opposed to the character and dialogue driven plots of the first two series.

That's not to say series 3 isn't good, it works very well indeed, but it does seem a little more shallow than the early series.
Haha yes I hadn't realised that it had gone to series 3 ..then saw VDV flying around Amsterdam in a Taunus ( Dutch Ford Cortina) and thought hmm yes this must be Euston Films .. I'm now expecting swag bags,shot guns and battered vans now LOL

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

As a re-formatted revival, it does work quite well though, it's certainly no struggle like the filmed "Special Branch" series.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:As a re-formatted revival, it does work quite well though, it's certainly no struggle like the filmed "Special Branch" series.

Oh yes almost a seamless transition i thought, and Special Branch should have stayed in the Thames studio.

Not sure if TPTV are doing the complete run of VDV ..but it looks like they are going back to Public Eye in a couple of weeks.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Looks like we are getting the two hour specials, so the whole lot.

Not up to the 70's episodes but still watchable.

In a later interview, when he was white haired, he said he was often mistaken for Jon Pertwee!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:Looks like we are getting the two hour specials, so the whole lot.

In a later interview, when he was white haired, he said he was often mistaken for Jon Pertwee!
Oh good - shame Joanna Dunham appears to be just chewing the scenery so far (I am a bit behind on catch up), she got some early acclaim in an Armchair Theatre which got banned and thus nobody saw it..and then got the lead role as a young nun battling convention,rascism,superstition etc in a popular drama Sanctuary which has subsequently been lost..and nobody today has seen that either LOL

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:

Oh good - shame Joanna Dunham appears to be just chewing the scenery so far (I am a bit behind on catch up), she got some early acclaim in an Armchair Theatre which got banned and thus nobody saw it..and then got the lead role as a young nun battling convention,rascism,superstition etc in a popular drama Sanctuary which has subsequently been lost..and nobody today has seen that either LOL
Wait till you see last Friday nights episode, "Dead On Arrival" set in London, she more or less solves the whole thing for VDV!...and appears throughout.

Great Actress, always a joy when she turned up in something, a dreamy Doctor in "Sykes", Brian Blessed's missus in "Into Infinity", and a turn with Peter Cushing in "Space 1999", and of course a guest spot on the VT series of VDV".

It is a shame some of her work is lost, she was so good in everything she did.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Wait till you see last Friday nights episode, "Dead On Arrival" set in London, she more or less solves the whole thing for VDV!...and appears throughout.

Great Actress, always a joy when she turned up in something, a dreamy Doctor in "Sykes", Brian Blessed's missus in "Into Infinity", and a turn with Peter Cushing in "Space 1999", and of course a guest spot on the VT series of VDV".

It is a shame some of her work is lost, she was so good in everything she did.
Seen it now thanks. very entertaining. what more could you want ..Concorde..Bob Hoskins....and Joanna (who along with Sheila Fern) must qualify as a 'Yummy Mummy' ..and I had forgotten that Joanna has been in almost everything at some point.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was a good episode, Richard Davies in it as well...Pricey from "Please Sir!".

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Not sure why they didn't leave the advert breaks where they were with the nice music stings? . I just saw one where it briefly flashed the bumper 'end of part two' or something and returned the programme ..very shoddy edit for the technology available these days.

Ah maybe it's because there are more breaks these days (I don't count them)?
in VDV's time, you would have only got two ad breaks in the programme.

But this is just an observation and no criticism, TPtv are doing a terrific job and probably have a lot of difficult circumstances to contend with.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:Not sure why they didn't leave the advert breaks where they were with the nice music stings? . I just saw one where it briefly flashed the bumper 'end of part two' or something and returned the programme ..very shoddy edit for the technology available these days.

But this is just an observation and no criticism, TPtv are doing a terrific job and probably have a lot of difficult circumstances to contend with.
It is a bit odd, they did it with a "Robin's Nest" just recently, break followed moments later by both Adcaps!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

One interesting aspect of the various incarnations of the series, is Music.

None in the VT series, ( IIRC) , library music in the Euston one and specially created in the 90's version.

It's a very good score, if a little doom laden, with little or no lighter pieces, and gives the series a somewhat different atmosphere.

Like the version of 'Eye Level' that's used though.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:One interesting aspect of the various incarnations of the series, is Music.

None in the VT series, ( IIRC) , library music in the Euston one and specially created in the 90's version.

It's a very good score, if a little doom laden, with little or no lighter pieces, and gives the series a somewhat different atmosphere.

Like the version of 'Eye Level' that's used though.

The VT series without music worked very well I thought as I am not a fan of the old 2' VT series with music -with the exception of ATV productions - they seemed the masters of getting it right. I have to say I am not a fan of the final season music score either, it does nothing for Van Der Valk's character as the sort of 'nice, cheery bloke in a dirty job' ..just drones on.
I did not understand how 'Eye Level' got to the top of the charts at the time..but do now it's a sweet catchy tune which evokes everything about the series.

I am still running behind a few but one highlight of season 3 was Diane with Jane Merrow and rather depressing in
the final season is the sight of (a happy go lovely in Father dear Father) Natasha Pyne with all her locks chopped off as a drudge of a secretary with a couple of lines.

Had Barry Foster lived I reckon VDV could have gone on to this today coming back every so often with a couple of specials.

u03drp
405 lines

Post by u03drp »

Mark wrote:
fatcat wrote:Not sure why they didn't leave the advert breaks where they were with the nice music stings? . I just saw one where it briefly flashed the bumper 'end of part two' or something and returned the programme ..very shoddy edit for the technology available these days.

It is a bit odd, they did it with a "Robin's Nest" just recently, break followed moments later by both Adcaps!
Could be just a cock-up with a soft-parted master. Remember seeing a Foyles War on ITV3 a couple of years ago where each commercial break cut mid-sentence, then returned having missed about 10 secs of footage and almost immediately gave us about 10 secs of ad-cap. Presumably the server was supposed to cut in and out of the adverts whilst skipping the ad-caps.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

In the case of the "Robin's Nest" episode, it was an unusually late Ad break in the actual recording, about 17 or 18 minutes in, and the TPTV break was the usual 15 minutes in.

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

There has been a remake of Van Der Valk.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9128874/

They will be coming to ITV.

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2019/07/18/i ... lk-series/

There are three, 1hour 30mins episodes. They where shown on Dutch TV in January (2020). They can be found on the internet if you are familiar with "Usenet"
They are OK-ish - watchable. Well made, though.

The Post Office
405 lines

The Van Der Valk remake begins Sunday, 26th April at 8pm on ITV

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020 ... haracters/

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

The Post Office wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:46 pm
The Van Der Valk remake begins Sunday, 26th April at 8pm on ITV

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020 ... haracters/
Actually that looks like its worth a watch.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Moody, not married and lives on a boat..?...Mmmm, not sure!

Very good Actor, but, big shoes to fill.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:31 am
Moody, not married and lives on a boat..?...Mmmm, not sure!

Very good Actor, but, big shoes to fill.
I imagine he'll turn out to be...so.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

NO "Eye Level" theme...the worlds gone mad!

The Post Office
405 lines

Mark wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:55 am
When I watched them there were subtle hints of the original "Eye Level" theme in the the "new" theme music - you can clearly hear it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Post Office wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 pm
Mark wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:55 am
When I watched them there were subtle hints of the original "Eye Level" theme in the the "new" theme music - you can clearly hear it.
You were right!..it could be clearly heard, that's something.

I gave it a watch, and despite my belief that they should bring back the death penalty for anyone reviving of remaking beloved classic TV series, I would say...it wasn't bad!

It had a touch of the "Wallander" style broodiness, but wasn't too bad, and thankfully didn't descend into the downright depressing.

The cast were good, and I liked the main characters, and it had a decent plot, so decent shows can still be made...who knew?

Too many ad breaks though!

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Have just got round to watching first one, nice to hear 'Eye Level', even if you do have to almost strain to hear it, so subtle.
It all seemed OK, still kept picturing Barry Foster though, but, it did not disappoint as much as I thought it would, rebboots tend to be dire these days, have not seen 2 and 3 yet, but I trust they will hold up as well :-)

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Mark wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:42 pm
It had a touch of the "Wallander" style broodiness, but wasn't too bad, and thankfully didn't descend into the downright depressing.

Yes, two things that ran through my mind when I caught up with it on the very crashable ITV hub. As a first episode, there was a lot of promise.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

swills wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 am
Have just got round to watching first one, nice to hear 'Eye Level', even if you do have to almost strain to hear it, so subtle.
It all seemed OK, still kept picturing Barry Foster though, but, it did not disappoint as much as I thought it would, rebboots tend to be dire these days, have not seen 2 and 3 yet, but I trust they will hold up as well :-)
I expect there will be more, eventually.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Cole wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:43 pm
Mark wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:42 pm

Yes, two things that ran through my mind when I caught up with it on the very crashable ITV hub. As a first episode, there was a lot of promise.
Still not as bad as the break quota in the US, but getting there, seems so anyway.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Having now seen the last episode, we have now been given a potential reason for his broodiness (although, that might have clashed with his propensity to sleep around).

Also, for Eye Level fans, a recognisable version at the end of the third episode.