Randall & Hopkirk

What's currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Randall & Hopkirk

Post by fatcat »

Dear old Randall and Hopkirk seems to have been following me around all my life.

I do pop into True Entertainment occasionally and visit an old friend.

I noticed a couple of things on my last visit..I was pretty sure I remember the Humber car was seen in the titles before it knocked Marty down..but does not seem to be there any more, just Marty's reaction.

... and when someone asks Jeff (in the one with David Jason and the mind reader) how long he had known Jeannie,Jeff jokingly replies "oh about 50 years"...but how true is that LOL

Mark
Committee

Re: Randall & Hopkirk

Post by Mark »

It's a great series, with arguably Edwin Astley's best incidental scores.

50 years on, Marty is still roaming the mean streets, just 50 more to go.

Can't say I recall seeing the car in the titles, I know it's been mentioned many times in threads, but as good as the titles are, it's the Graveyard ones I prefer, because they are the ones I remember from the original screenings.

Has it ever been cleared up as to why they suddenly reverted to the Office titles for the 80's repeats?

They surely wouldn't have gone to the trouble of re-editing them, so overseas prints perhaps?...with just the UK and US ( "My Partner The Ghost") using the Graveyard ones.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Still a mystery why the titles were changed and sages/ authorities/fans on these sort of series don't seem to know either.

IIRC the graveyard titles remained during the 60/70s screenings but then changed from the 80s screenings onwards.
I would have thought that the graveyard titles would have given anyone watching for the first time an immediate explanation of why Marty is in a white suit.
Another oddity is the word 'deceased' has been slowly played down over the years and now True Entertainment does not even mention it.
Perhaps because everyone involved gives their all on RH is why it remains special for many ..except the production itself and those oh so irritating stingy production values.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

There was certainly a thing in the eighties for retrofitting older shows with a uniform set of titles, thus The Professionals' season one titles with the Rolls Royce and assault course was largely lost to public view for a long time. I've never seen the original Randall and Hopkirk opening titles - have they ever turned up as an extra or on YouTube?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Both the UK and US 'Graveyard' titles are extras on the DVD box sets, it's Marty's line at the end of them that those of us that saw them at the time, always remember, when Marty explains he can only be seen by Jeff ( even if that didn't' turn out to be true)..."Only You Jeff... Only You!".

As for stingy production values, all ITC shows were like that to a certain extent, despite the big budgets, even shows like "Space 1999" a very expensive show, used a variety of cost saving tricks, like the episode when they went out on the air filled surface of the moon ( one day's filming in Pinewood Car Park) or using the same models or even the same shots in different episodes.

Of course, we can't forget the famous backlot used many times in various series, all part of the charm of them ( and the Jag over the cliff!".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"