BBC Alba / STV - Machair

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

BBC Alba / STV - Machair

Post by ozsat »

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction?

It maybe an online newspaper subscription is what I need - but can't find one that provides Scottish nationals with tv listings for the 1990s.

I'm trying to locate the original transmission dates for the series currently airing on BBC Alba called 'Machair'.

The programmes were originally on STV in the 1990s - but STV sold off the rights and handed over all the paperwork many years ago.

Anybody any ideas where to start?

stearn
Committee

Re: BBC Alba / STV - Machair

Post by stearn »

Well, The Times digital archive has an article from August 1992 about a new STV soap called Machair and Gaelic speaking actors suddenly finding themselves in demand. Listings in the regional panels seem most abundant in late 1995 (Oct-Dec).

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

I found a few entries in the STV variations - but only a very few and looking for about 100 or so.
Edinburgh Central Library have no digital versions of newspapers for that era available online or within. Only fiche.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

From The Guardian online archive, Grampian were showing it in late 1993 and it is also appearing in late 1996 for Grampian and STV. I think it will be a case of using the search to find the dates, fill in the gaps manually and then use fiche for more info from a Scottish newspaper.

The Lennox Herald is available on British Newspaper Archive, but that appears to be a weekly paper, so only has a couple of days listings at best and Machair is only picked up 4 times in a search of the 1990s! The Lennox Herald is available to 1997.

The Perthshire Advertiser is the only other Scottish newspaper that is available for the 1990s on BNA, and that appears to be a twice weekly paper. The edition I looked at had 3 days schedules in, so it may cover what you want, and it seems to be available to the end of 1996.

You may be lucky and your library will offer access to the BNA on site. A subscription isn't exactly expensive if you know you know you are going to use it.

As an afterthought, if any of the libraries near you hold back copies of Radio Times, March 1991 saw the inclusion of ITV schedules in the magazine, so that's probably the most concise source of information.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll need to prebook some archives and spend a day there.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Someone on the forum here once told me about the glasgow herald archive where I found TV listings.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

But the Glasgow Herald doesn't go up that far, unfortunately, otherwise I would have mentioned it. I think the cut off is around 1990, from memory, and Google have made it impossible to search and very difficult to navigate through now. I am sure it is only a matter of time before they kill the newspaper archive altogether.