Censorship

What's currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Censorship

Post by fatcat »

If you have ever wondered why there are some bizarre (to us anyway) cuts and fuzz outs in your remembered favourite programmes now being revived.. then have a bit of sympathy for the TV station hosts ..as apparently stations like TPtv have been regularly hauled in front of OFcom ... including for a single word used in an episode of A Family at War which had one single complaint.

I suppose it's easier to show an old movie because that comes with a certificate, but trying to revive an old TV programme must be a bit of a nightmare as every frame has to be inspected for anything that might 'offend' somebody today.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Re: Censorship

Post by David Boothroyd »

It's worth reading OFCOM's report on broadcast complaints which appears usually fortnightly here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/la ... -bulletins

They have found against TPTV for offensive language in archive programmes which is no doubt why almost everything on the channel has some sort of warning beforehand. But the most recent finding was some time ago.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

fatcat wrote:If you have ever wondered why there are some bizarre (to us anyway) cuts and fuzz outs in your remembered favourite programmes now being revived.. then have a bit of sympathy for the TV station hosts ..as apparently stations like TPtv have been regularly hauled in front of OFcom ... including for a single word used in an episode of A Family at War which had one single complaint.
That'd be this, presumably?
fatcat wrote:I suppose it's easier to show an old movie because that comes with a certificate, but trying to revive an old TV programme must be a bit of a nightmare as every frame has to be inspected for anything that might 'offend' somebody today.
I've been most miffed at the lack of anything I found offensive in the recent repeats of Rumpole of the Bailey - they keep on telling me I might be offended, & even tho I squinted really hard I found nowt to worry about!

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

TPTV cut the word “bastard” from PUBLIC EYE but I was even more surprised to see it was also cut from the 1961 film LOSS OF INNOCENCE and that was shown at 11.20pm!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Amazing isn't it! modern tv can be littered with the F word which old tv would never use and old tv could have a few B words but now that is outlawed. Maybe somebody is trying to justify their job now that the F word has gone mainstream LOL?

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

fatcat wrote:Amazing isn't it! modern tv can be littered with the F word which old tv would never use and old tv could have a few B words but now that is outlawed. Maybe somebody is trying to justify their job now that the F word has gone mainstream LOL?
I wonder if the problem is that channels want to have a version of a film/programme which is safe to show at any time of day, no matter what the intentions of the original creators. That's why The Professionals and The Sweeney are so heavily edited these days - the same versions created about 20 years ago for the old Granada + channel are still being shown, sanitised so they can be shown at nine in the morning.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

On the subject of "Bastards" I can remember ructions in the early 70s when an Australian series (sadly can't remember which one) was shown in an early evening slot. The Aussie habit of using the word as an affectionate greeting caused some British viewers to splutter into their tea!

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

wittoner wrote:On the subject of "Bastards" I can remember ructions in the early 70s when an Australian series (sadly can't remember which one) was shown in an early evening slot. The Aussie habit of using the word as an affectionate greeting caused some British viewers to splutter into their tea!
"OK, which of you bastards called this bastard a bastard." (Vic Richardson to Jardine.)

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Daytime repeats of The Bill seem to suffer from this to varying degrees. "Hilariously," footage of a cooper being shot with a machine gun was recently cut from the episode proper, but was intact in the recap at the start of the next episode!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]