Bless This House Series 1 (B&W) - on Forces TV

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

Bless This House Series 1 (B&W) - on Forces TV

Post by ozsat »

Bless this House will be on Forces TV from 9th Sept starting with the Series 1 B&W episodes.

swills
405 lines

Re: Bless This House Series 1 (B&W) - on Forces TV

Post by swills »

With a combination of Forces and TPTV. the evenings can almost be like watching TV back in the 70s :-) with the THAMES idents and shows, makes me imagine I am back in those times ....it's good !

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Don't forget to check True Entertainment too: Rumpole of the Bailey, The Agatha Christie Hour, The New Avengers.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

ozsat wrote:Don't forget to check True Entertainment too: Rumpole of the Bailey, The Agatha Christie Hour, The New Avengers.
Of course :-) although Mr Rumpole has already had an outing on TPTV...that I am still watching :-) never liked it when I was younger, but now am of an age where I am finding I am like him at work now !

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

Fraud Squad starts on TPTV In September - All the episodes from the beginning.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

This is still running and I started watching recently. I saw the occasional episode as a kid but had not seen much of it. On checking the synopsis for the movie I was surprised to see that it had no connection to the series at all from a storyline point of view. Some things that happened just didn’t relate to the series so it must be a different universe entirely. I know that many of the sitcoms of the day had movie versions but aside from the wretched Rising Damp I haven’t seen them. Was it commonplace for the movies to have no continuity with the series?

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Nor sure about others but Porridge was like just another episode, but longer and The Lovers was almost the whole story retold. Both of theses were with with more location filming.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brian F wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 pm
Nor sure about others but Porridge was like just another episode
I don't agree. The story in the film of Porridge could never have been told in a half-hour episode. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it but it was extremely ingenious.)

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

This is a bit off-topic but the film of Porridge did contribute something that had been lacking since the series started - a decent theme tune. Joe Brown's 'Free Inside' gets the emotional message just right. Really a pity it couldn't have been composed years earlier.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The "Porridge" film is excellent, but a very bleak atmosphere, due to the real location used, same as the "Rising Damp" film.

As for continuity, some films tended to have different sets ( such as "Bless This House" and "Man About The House") which was a bit annoying.

My personal favourite is the 1971 "Please Sir!" film, which is actually a prequel to series 3 on TV in 1970, in that series Hedges has a girlfriend, Penny, whom he marries at the end of the series, and the film shows how they met.

The "Bless This House" film is also very good, but is made by the "Carry On" team, so obviously feels more like the Carry On's than the TV series, as much as I love the Carry On's and the actors in them, it was a great shame Anthony Jackson and Robin Stewart were replaced.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

SgtPepper wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Was it commonplace for the movies to have no continuity with the series?
The two Doctor Who movies had very little continuity with the already-discontinuous TV series.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Mark wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 am
As for continuity, some films tended to have different sets ( such as "Bless This House" and "Man About The House") which was a bit annoying.
I remember that was the one thing that annoyed me about the original Dad's Army film when I first saw it. I could understand why a TV studio couldn't be used for a feature film but not why the film set had to be so very different. However, the story and characters were all consistent, the movie being pretty much a mashup of TV episodes, and it was nice to actually see parts of Walmington-On-Sea that we'd previously only heard about.

The Please Sir film is good but not set in the school. Similarly, Are You Being Served is not in a department store but, implausibly, set in Spain. Similarly, the action in Holiday On The Buses takes place at a holiday camp with very few buses in it.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

SgtPepper wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Was it commonplace for the movies to have no continuity with the series?
Most of the 70's comedy spinoffs have poor reputations for that exact reason. To be fair it would be difficult to create a 90 minute movie for a cast in the usual studio location that was usually just 24 minutes.
So they rather misguidedly would take them away from the confort zone of the tv show and move to holiday resorts or more exotic locations.
I don't think it was a coincidence that the most successful of all the spinoffs were the On the Buses movies where they managed to make the first 2 into an enjoyable extended tv episode without going too far afield although they played with the continuity in making Olive and Arthur parents 3 years before the tv series ended and they never had kids ever in the tv show.
But for Holiday on the Buses they fell into the usual trap and sent them to a holiday camp. The film does have its fans but I think it was the last one for that reason.
Man About the House did quite well too and apart from the tour inside Thames studios toward the end the rest wasn't too far removed from what you might see on a tv episode.
Fairly sure none of the movies were ever produced by the companies that made the tv shows so the original studio sets would not have been available anyway.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:03 am

The "Bless This House" film is also very good, but is made by the "Carry On" team, so obviously feels more like the Carry On's than the TV series, as much as I love the Carry On's and the actors in them, it was a great shame Anthony Jackson and Robin Stewart were replaced.
Rumours were that Sid had a hand with replacing Robin....he was not impressed with Robin's attitude to the TV show and felt he would not cope with the highly disciplined world of film making where say if they want you there at 6am (even if they do end up sitting around)they expect you to be there.
I suppose if it is true it was a case of the old pro who had got his career the hard way and the young upstart who perhaps didn't appreciate the golden opportunity he had been given on Bless this House... who knows?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Blunderbirds wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm
Most of the 70's comedy spinoffs have poor reputations for that exact reason. To be fair it would be difficult to create a 90 minute movie for a cast in the usual studio location that was usually just 24 minutes.
That was part of the genius of the Porridge film: how could they possibly take the action out of the confines of the prison? Amazingly, they managed it.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:26 pm
Rumours were that Sid had a hand with replacing Robin....he was not impressed with Robin's attitude to the TV show and felt he would not cope with the highly disciplined world of film making where say if they want you there at 6am (even if they do end up sitting around)they expect you to be there.
Wikipedia has a rather more mundane explanation (again unsourced): "Robin Stewart ... was replaced by Robin Askwith because he had already been booked for the summer season on Bournemouth Pier and could not also appear in the film".

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Which is, more-or-less, what Stewart said both onstage and off at a Kaleidoscope meeting shortly before his death.

Robin Askwith’s autobiography is the source of the unprofessional behaviour tale.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I never believed the 'Sid stopped him appearing' story, didn't sound like him at all, and never heard the summer season story, but makes more sense though.

Looking at Sid's schedule, it was a busy time, "Carry On Matron" late 71, followed by "All This And Christmas Too", ( although that could have been made Pre-"Matron" I suppose), then "BTH" series 2, on to "Carry On Abroad", and then the "BTH" film, which would take it up to Summer I guess.

I wonder if Anthony Jackson was unavailable as well?

The "Are You Being Served" film was based on the stage play, and included some TV script moments.

There was some involvement from the TV companies, the "Please Sir!" film was an LWI/Leslie Grade Co-Production which explains why the School sets were accurate or even the actual ones, although as Ian said they weren't in it much).

The "Father Dear Father" also featured the TV series sets and was directed by William.G.Stewart, I imagine he was disappointed not to handle the "BTH" film.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Wasn't the Father Dear Father film made with a multi camera 35mm set up and taken in long sections so that it seemed more like the TV programmes (and was cheaper to produce)?
I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I think you are right about the Multi-camera set up, but it's down in the KAL guide as 16mm.