BBC: Dracula (2020)

What's currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

BBC: Dracula (2020)

Post by Don Satchley »

Well last night's initial episode was different and quite entertaining. I will probably stick with it. I had hoped for something similar to the novel but alas I think that will never happen as people have labelled it as impossible to do. I saw a play version about 10 years ago which was splendid and if memory served was fairly faithful to the original but instead of diary entries it used text messages! Cully from Midsomer Murders was in it.
The character of Agatha was the best thing about episode one. I wonder what surprises will be in store for tonight's episode...

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Re: BBC: Dracula (2020)

Post by Paul Hayes »

Well, one fairly big one!

Isn't the 1970s BBC version meant to be quite faithful to the book? I must admit it's a long time since I have read or watched either.

I'm no Dracula purist so only a casual, 'normal viewer' of this, but I'm very much enjoying it so far - and as mentioned, the twist at the end tonight was great!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

I find the james-bond-quality puns distracting. Even at the start they're a bit over the top with the double meanings. Now, I'm the last person who has the right to accuse anyone of making puerile jokes. But the mix is odd. First the whole thing seems rather serious, and then they just chuck it overboard with a cartoonesk performance. "I'm undead, not unreasonable."
Don Satchley wrote:Well last night's initial episode was different and quite entertaining. I will probably stick with it. I had hoped for something similar to the novel but alas I think that will never happen as people have labelled it as impossible to do. I saw a play version about 10 years ago which was splendid and if memory served was fairly faithful to the original but instead of diary entries it used text messages! Cully from Midsomer Murders was in it.
The character of Agatha was the best thing about episode one. I wonder what surprises will be in store for tonight's episode...
Not sure if I agree. First of all, I don't think the novel is necessarily that good. But mostly, doesn't the 1991 movie come close enough, or surely some other adaptation of the many, many times it's been done?
This is nøt å signåture.™

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

"Dracula" was one of our set texts when I did my degree and I remember the first thing our lecturer said about it was " well obviously this is absolute trash!"

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I really enjoyed reading the book. I think it was probably 20 years ago now, so I should definitely refresh my memory. I recall imagining Malcolm Macdowell as HG Wells when thinking of Jonathan Harker, when reading the book. The only horror book of this sort I have read over the last few years was The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. That was splendid but the film of it looks awful from the clips I have seen. I seem to recall in that book at the bad guy in the book also gives an explanation about why crosses are feared by such creatures, which was something Dracula alluded to in episode 1 if memory serves.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I really enjoyed reading the book. I think it was probably 20 years ago now, so I should definitely refresh my memory. I recall imagining Malcolm Macdowell as HG Wells when thinking of Jonathan Harker, when reading the book. The only horror book of this sort I have read over the last few years was The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. That was splendid but the film of it looks awful from the clips I have seen. I seem to recall in that book at the bad guy in the book also gives an explanation about why crosses are feared by such creatures, which was something Dracula alluded to in episode 1 if memory serves.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Didn't see it, but TPTV did show the "Mystery And Imagination" version last Sunday,, which is up there with the BBC's 77 one.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Don Satchley wrote:The only horror book of this sort I have read over the last few years was The Keep by F. Paul Wilson. That was splendid but the film of it looks awful from the clips I have seen.
I quite like the film, but then I've not read the book.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

I watched the first episode and despite it's revisionist tendencies, thought it was atmospheric and well executed - episode two started well but started to go downhill rapidly - as many have remarked it degenerated into a pc version of "Carry on Dracula"

It's a while since I saw a production start so well and go completely off the rails - what where Mark Gatiss and Steve Moffat on when they wrote episode three ? - Perhaps it was something to do with the Netflix involvement, although Many of their productions have been excellent (Narcos, Mindhunter)

AMC's recent showThe Terror produced by Ridley Scott shows how a period drama can be relatively historically accurate contemporary and entertaining (series 1)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

tiswas2 wrote:It's a while since I saw a production start so well and go completely off the rails - ...
I guess you didn't see War of the Worlds then?

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Haven't watch this yet but I see it is on Netflix US in 4K/HDR with 5.1 audio.

UK viewers had the choice of either 4K/HDR or 5.1 - but not both.

I'm surprised iPlayer is still unable to do 5.1.