BBC Ghost Story: Martin's Close (2019)

What's currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

BBC Ghost Story: Martin's Close (2019)

Post by Don Satchley »

This was a misfire for us. A lovely cast but some poor direction, no scares and a too clear, laughable undead person made for a poor show. Nice to see Rebecca Lacey and Peter Capaldi did well enough. I returned to the most recent boxset of BBC Ghost Stories to entertain us after that. Over on Roobarbs someone mentioned a British Library set of Tales of the Weird (anthologies of weird stories by forgotten writers) that they recommended instead of just M R James stories in terms of future production material. I recently bought the one featuring tales of the deep and am thoroughly enjoying it.
By way, can anyone confirm that the location for the trial in Martins' Close was the location also used in the period episode of Iniside Number 9?

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: BBC Ghost Story: Martin's Close (2019)

Post by Ian Wegg »

Don Satchley wrote:... a too clear, laughable undead person made for a poor show.
Yes I agree, that was a major problem. The Boxing Day Susan Hill's Ghost Story on C5 suffered from the issue to an even greater degree, the ghosts were far too tangible. I finally gave up at the sword fight scene.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Don Satchley wrote:... a too clear, laughable undead person made for a poor show.
Yes I agree, that was a major problem. The Boxing Day Susan Hill's Ghost Story on C5 suffered from the issue to an even greater degree, the ghosts were far too tangible. I finally gave up at the sword fight scene.
Unless I missed something, the ghost remote control car was very out of place too; we certainly didn't get toys like that in the early 70s!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I thought MC was lousy: hammy acting, no lead character to care about, very poor direction and the comedy got in the way. (The Stalls of Barchester has some very funny bits but they are much better controlled and don’t undermine things. It can be done.)

I did enjoy the Susan Hill, not necessarily for the story but for the look and mood of it. Only four characters, sparse dialogue, leisurely pace. It kept reminding me of Jose Larraz’s Symptoms in its look and feel. Too long and too in your face though.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

I was probably in the wrong mood for it, really. Some bits worked - mostly the bits whipped/homaged from the originals - but the framing story with dear old Simon Williams didn't work for me at all. I know I'm being ungrateful - if it wasn't for Gatiss we would get nothing - but it really needed a bit more atmosphere.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Mr_Wolf wrote:I was probably in the wrong mood for it, really. Some bits worked - mostly the bits whipped/homaged from the originals - but the framing story with dear old Simon Williams didn't work for me at all. I know I'm being ungrateful - if it wasn't for Gatiss we would get nothing - but it really needed a bit more atmosphere.
Simon Williams is a terrible ham these days. Those scenes were awful, and so badly shot too. Looked like he was advertising a pension plan.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Simon36 wrote:Looked like he was advertising a pension plan.
That's in my head forever now.

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.