The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
mikew
405 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by mikew »

Thanks for posting those fascinating clippings, I've not seen those before.

Apart from the bit about "looking as much like the original as possible" the oddest thing reading it now is the description of Doctor Who as a "three year old series". Amazing to think even the new series is now well over twice that old, let alone the whole 50 years thing.

Funny thing, time.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Yes, the clippings are interesting. I'd like to see the Mirror splash on the changeover, which I'm just about old enough to remember seeing, as well as the first Troughton episode (Bonfire Night 1966, I remember the bonfire/fireworks party we had at our place with most of the neighbours coming round. Magic days).

With later changeovers the media coverage seems to be greater but the Hartnell/Troughton one may have got more coverage than some of us realised.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I've seen references to Hartnell being sacked elsewhere. I've always assumed all parties just wanted to move on. So what's the truth of it?

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

I believe DWB made reference to the theory that Hartnell had been sacked when they ran their ratings articles c.1988. The reason was falling ratings. I think they also trotted this theory out when they ran the Tom Baker ratings showing the slump in ratings in his last year.

Theres also the letter Hartnell wrote to a fan that is mentioned in Haining's 20th Anniversary book; namely that he saw too much menace in the show and disagreed with the producers about the tone and content.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

SteveBoyce wrote:...Rings of Akhaten was an interesting attempt to do drama without any drama, or events, or story, or ... anything ...
The Doctor taking Clara to see something awesome is great to watch. It immediately reminded me of what Rose does in her trip to 'The End Of The World' and of the fact that Doctor Who is full of such new companion situations. Here it's Jenna-Louise Coleman who makes it dramatic, if not emotional, several times in the way she makes Clara such a believable real person.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Doom Patrol wrote:I've seen references to Hartnell being sacked elsewhere. I've always assumed all parties just wanted to move on. So what's the truth of it?
I've always regarded his departure as a sacking. Innes Lloyd told Billy (at, or en route to a party, I seem to recall) that his contract was not being renewed, and the old boy was devastated by the news. The subsequent BBC press release gave a rather different version of events, as they so often do. At least Lloyd spoke to Hartnell - there are plenty of examples of BBC presenters reading about their "sacking" in a tabloid rag.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

New brooms and all that, I suppose.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Private Frazer wrote:
SteveBoyce wrote:...Rings of Akhaten was an interesting attempt to do drama without any drama, or events, or story, or ... anything ...
The Doctor taking Clara to see something awesome is great to watch. It immediately reminded me of what Rose does in her trip to 'The End Of The World' and of the fact that Doctor Who is full of such new companion situations. Here it's Jenna-Louise Coleman who makes it dramatic, if not emotional, several times in the way she makes Clara such a believable real person.
I wasn't sure about The Rings of Akhaten at first but I had only just watched Delibes opera Lakme on Sky Arts and I realised that was what it was like - a 19thc romantic opera about an exotic location with crowd scenes and arias - like parts of "Snake Dance" and this was made even clearer by the chunk of it on the Dr Who prom. Maybe we'll have an all-sung episode one day. Some people might hate it but I hope Who keeps up the variety. There need to be some that people hate. For me it was the Cybermen one wbhich seemed to make nonsense of the cybermen but did have a few good things - like the allusions to the chess playing automaton.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Don't even get me started on that...

In light of the recent discoveries it might be interesting to see the reaction to the upcoming anniversary special I think.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

When BBC Four showed the Coronation Street biopic a couple of years ago there was a paucity of studio set recreations because of budgetary limitations, yet for "An Adventure in Space and Time" the budget seems to have stretched to a complete reconstruction of the junk yard set and the Tardis interior. The console alone would have been very expensive - the one which was built for the Blackpool exhibition cost a small fortune. Rather lavish for a handful of scenes, don't you think? I know that certain elements of the set are CGI (like the enormous hexagonal power "hood" above the console) but it made me a little suspicious. They have the sets, the lookalike cast and a solid script, so I wondered if perhaps they might be shooting a remake of the first episode in parallel with the 90 minute drama?

Recent events have shown that secrets can be kept, so perhaps there are more modern surprises in store for the anniversary.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I'm not sure of the timeline but the 'new' sets have been at the Cardiff Experience for quite a time, so if it was re-shot it must have been done and dusted quite a time ago. I suppose the cost of the sets might have been offset by their re-use in the experience.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

drmih wrote:I'm not sure of the timeline but the 'new' sets have been at the Cardiff Experience for quite a time, so if it was re-shot it must have been done and dusted quite a time ago. I suppose the cost of the sets might have been offset by their re-use in the experience.
I'm not so sure that exhibition use "offsets" any production cost. During my time with BBC Exhibitions we didn't pay for anything. With very rare exceptions, if it wasn't free we didn't use it, which is why visitors rarely saw hired items on display. That was generally the case with costume exhibitions too - if a costume was "make-to-hire" (made for a production to a BBC design but ultimately owned by the supplier, who provided the garment at reduced cost) we rarely considered renting it for display.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Now that there's a gap, can I quickly ask if the defective Series 6 boxset issue has been resolved?

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Post by Kieran Seymour »

A few people on Gallifrey Base over the last few months have reported that Amazon have been sending out corrected stock of Series 6.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

brigham wrote:Now that there's a gap, can I quickly ask if the defective Series 6 boxset issue has been resolved?
What was defective? I got the complete Series 6 DVD set, and the only things wrong were the quality of the writing and acting.
Great News Inside, Chums!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
brigham wrote:Now that there's a gap, can I quickly ask if the defective Series 6 boxset issue has been resolved?
What was defective? I got the complete Series 6 DVD set, and the only things wrong were the quality of the writing and acting.
You mean they've finally got the music and the captions right?

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

brigham wrote:
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
You mean they've finally got the music and the captions right?
Apparently so.
Great News Inside, Chums!

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

In a recent interview Moffat stated that the direction of the show and that of The Doctor will be forever changed in The Day of The Doctor. In truth we'll find out that the Doctor is really a Zygon who has been living an alternate lifestyle for the last 50 years!

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

He always says that, or something very like it. It's either arrogance or a capacity for talking complete nonsense. I can't quite decide which. But, in any case it's usually hot air and it would be difficult to see how he could change direction significantly and still be Doctor Who.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I am not of fan of Moffat's writing at all, I'd prefer we go back to the melodramatic stories of RTD.

dprisoner
405 lines

Post by dprisoner »

A bit of a rant on the whole worldwide simulcast thing...

<rant>
ONLY 11 cinemas in the whole US to show it live!!! The only showing in my market (pop >4mil, are appx 4k sq mi) is in a city that's so hard to drive to and park in (45 minutes to the city limits and another 45 in traffic to get to your destination) and is sold out before I even wake up!

Oh, but console yourself, there's a showing on Monday night for the rest of the poor souls who will have already downloaded it off the internet because they weren't given a legal outlet to see it with everyone else - because, you have to pay extra on top of the already extortionist cable/satellite rates to get BBCAmerica (and that's if you have cable/satellite) only to see it with commercial interruptions.

My personal geographical rant is that just because San Francisco is more well known, doesn't mean they're better. The San Francisco station never supported Doctor Who when it was on PBS - the San Jose one ran it continuously for 22 years (the continuous looping of the series means the show's had more air time here than the on the BBC). The local fan club (now nearly 32 years old) is located in the San Jose area. We have more cinema screens with free parking than San Francisco. Plus, we have a larger population than they do, and we're part of the Silicon Valley (where science fiction becomes science fact!)

Personally (and even professionally, though I'm out of TV these days) I feel that BBCWW has cocked this one right up...

</rant>

Thank you for indulging me...

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

There's a seven-page piece on Doctor Who in the new edition of Empire magazine by Dorian Lynskey.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I bought the Series 7 Part 2 Box Set BBCDVD3802 (I don't often buy New Who) and it was worth it as I got more picture compared to off Freeview. However 'Bells of St. John' freezes briefly at 31m20s just after the waitress says to the doctor "I do love showing off". Does it on the two players I tried. It's annoying and I'd be interested if anyone who has it can see if theirs does the same - thanks.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Are you sure it's not just a layer change?

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

dprisoner wrote: ONLY 11 cinemas in the whole US to show it live!!!
They don't have unlimited budget. If they're doing the live simulcast via a remote feed from the UK (which would be the best way as far as security goes - no need to send copies out in advance), that's expensive.
My personal geographical rant is that just because San Francisco is more well known, doesn't mean they're better. The San Francisco station never supported Doctor Who when it was on PBS - the San Jose one ran it continuously for 22 years
And the people who organised the US screenings are supposed to know or care about that? Sorry, but where only a very limited number of cinemas can show the live simulcast, it's inevitable that a city like SF will win out over SJ.
Personally (and even professionally, though I'm out of TV these days) I feel that BBCWW has cocked this one right up...
If the US screenings have sold out (which I believe they pretty much have), how have they cocked up?

dprisoner
405 lines

Post by dprisoner »

GarethR wrote:
dprisoner wrote: ONLY 11 cinemas in the whole US to show it live!!!
They don't have unlimited budget. If they're doing the live simulcast via a remote feed from the UK (which would be the best way as far as security goes - no need to send copies out in advance), that's expensive.
My personal geographical rant is that just because San Francisco is more well known, doesn't mean they're better. The San Francisco station never supported Doctor Who when it was on PBS - the San Jose one ran it continuously for 22 years
And the people who organised the US screenings are supposed to know or care about that? Sorry, but where only a very limited number of cinemas can show the live simulcast, it's inevitable that a city like SF will win out over SJ.
If the US screenings have sold out (which I believe they pretty much have), how have they cocked up?
The Saturday simulcast in 11 cities have sold out (they even had to add a couple more screenings in SF) but they could have had sell outs in more cities. I don't think the Monday night showings are even remotely sold out (or even will). Fathom events do live simulcast in more than those 11 cities all the time, so technologically not a problem. If they had done a massive Saturday booking, they'd probably get more people to attend than the limited Saturday and massive Monday - because all the people who care to see it will have seen it (by any means) by the end of the weekend (and if it's crap, the fan who would have attended the simulcast - if it had been offered in their town - will now bypass spending $17 for the non-event showing).

For me, the 3-D is not an attraction. Seeing it with the rest of the world (sorry, Australia) was an attraction! I will, however, be seeing it late on Saturday (about 7-hours after the simulcast) with my local Doctor Who Fan Club. If it's good, I may decide to see it on Monday (I have better things to do on Monday nights).

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Unfortunately I will be seeing it via one of the less than legal routes.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

dprisoner wrote:Fathom events do live simulcast in more than those 11 cities all the time, so technologically not a problem
Of course the technology isn't a problem, but what about the cost? I strongly suspect that budget is the reason for only 11 simulcast cities.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

GarethR wrote:Are you sure it's not just a layer change?
After finding out what that is I think it is a layer change. The DVD is dual layer and I just tried a third DVD player that plays seamlessly. Thanks!

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

My wife just mentioned - in a vague sort of way - that she thinks she has a Hartnell Dr Who autographed photo "To Pauline, Dr Who" . Is she suddenly a millionaire?

B