The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Jezza
625 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Jezza »

I had a bit of trouble understanding what Capaldi was saying sometimes...he's just...too Scottish!

Apart from that, it was the same drab Moffat writing!

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Take away the sonic screwdriver and the Doctor would have been dead aeons ago. The damn thing just annoys me. Last night it undid all the straps and buckles on the coachman's tack for God's sake. It can probably whip up a souffle, perm hair and take stones out of horses' hooves too. It's a sloppy, lazy plot device which Moffat probably can't get rid of because of merchandise tie-ins. They might as well just call it the Doctor's magic stick as it has nothing to do with sound or screws.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

Quite a good opener, actually felt a little slow at times. I think Capaldi and Jenna Coleman will be good together! Was a little strange that Clara was unsure of the new Doctor given that she is aware of all the other Doctor's, although this is more to do with her relationship with the Smith Doctor.
Love the new titles! Not sure about the theme!

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

There was less action than usual but, considering that Peter Capaldi said that his doctor doesn't run around the TARDIS console, it was to be expected. I quite liked it, the plot was quite a new idea and the cyborg was very convincing. They certainly got the fact that he is older done and dusted; I think he'll be a bit of a serious doctor like the first doctor.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

The production values seemed a bit lax, almost as if the Beeb had cut Moffat's budget in half.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I really liked the title sequence, felt it completely overshadowed the music. Capaldi and Coleman were lovely, and I appreciated the fact that for once there was some room to breathe and some moments of stillness. But the plot didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

The bad thing that's coming is that their going to introduce Clara's boyfriend as a new companion which will ruin things once again.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

It wasn't bad. And that's about all you can say about it. I didn't care for all the post regeneration stuff. It just wasn't that interesting or well done. There were some genuinely creepy moments though. Right, that's that over. We can forget about it now and move on.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I think Moffat really botched the regeneration.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Juswuh wrote:I think Moffat really botched the regeneration.
Crivvens! They're not still wheeling out that tired old plot device, are they?

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Did you know that the lizard lady and her servant are married?

Oh, by the way - did you know that the lizard lady and her servant are married??

And here's a thing - did you know that the lizard lady and her servant are married?

Shock horror.

B

Irongiant
405 lines

Post by Irongiant »

Are you sure about that? I don't recall any mention of such a thing in the episode .............

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Having only dipped into the series occasionally, when I do watch I usually haven't a clue what's going on. There is so much backstory and to my mind at least barely any attempt to let casual viewers in on it all. At the start I was asking myself who the hell the lizard woman was, why there is a Sontaran butler etc etc... Any soap makes sure that a new viewer can quickly pick things up at any time. This just alienates me as I have no desire to mug up on everything from the last two years. It seems odd that the series now does stand-alone stories and yet makes it virtually impossible to watch them as stand-alones.

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

Simon36 wrote:Having only dipped into the series occasionally, when I do watch I usually haven't a clue what's going on. There is so much backstory and to my mind at least barely any attempt to let casual viewers in on it all. At the start I was asking myself who the hell the lizard woman was, why there is a Sontaran butler etc etc... Any soap makes sure that a new viewer can quickly pick things up at any time. This just alienates me as I have no desire to mug up on everything from the last two years. It seems odd that the series now does stand-alone stories and yet makes it virtually impossible to watch them as stand-alones.
I'm in pretty much the same boat - I stopped being a regular viewer part way through Smith's first series. Having seen the last couple of his episodes and Capaldi's first, I have no idea what's going on. But that bloody screwdriver is still the cure-all for everything...

I liked PC's first outing in the role but wasn't too impressed with the new titles. The theme reminded me of an earlier version from the "classic" series, which was a nice touch.

The writing: Oh dear.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

I agree with the above comments. I watched Dr.who from Baker to Baker, then stopped as McCoy's Who seemed more than a little childish. With hindsight, McCoy was a great Doctor, but the storylines weren't. After it wen by the wayside, I then caught up with the Pertwee/early Baker episodes on UK Gold.

The thing is that those episodes on UK Gold I could get straight into ; the assistant's back-story rarely came into it, and there were usually helpful prompts in the script to remind/help viewerswith this. Also a few recurring characters such as the Brigadier or The Master were there, but it didn't matter that you may not recognise them as again it wasn't key to the plot, and their past was explained.

However that has now all changed with the new Doctor. I watched a few epsidoes of the first new Who, but wasn't impressed so finished with it. Out of curiosity I started watching the latest Who, but it seemed to me that it was only fully understandable to people who had watched the last several series. Characters who presumably have been in previous episodes were there and it was assumed that you knew about them and their back story - and if you didn't there was no helpful script from the Doctor or his assistant to help.It seems to me as though Doctor Who is now a closed club, and unless you've been in it for the last few seasons you may as well not bother. From what I saw tbh I don't think I'm missing all that much...

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Since I found The Snowmen unwatchable I didn't know this before, but apparently we're told Madame Vastra was Conan Doyle's inspiration for Sherlock Holmes. In terms of wanking, pissing and shitting on somebody else's creation I think that outdoes Clara advising the first Doctor which Tardis to steal.

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

Title sequence - Just how LITERAL does it have to get?

Theme - Stopped caring after Eccleston.

The new Doctor - Capaldi's mouth opened and it might as well have been Matt Smith saying the lines - everything was from the Moffat 'insta-quote' TM machine - eyebrows and furious mirrors etc. - breathlessly delivered but not actually dialogue as such. Why does everyone seem to talk in inverted commas? Capaldi was dynamic and involved but given bugger-all to work with.

The plot - Sadly I sneezed and missed the plot altogether. Another back-of-a-fag-packet jotting from Moffat with a ridiculously over-sized dinosaur bolted onto the front (although he claims he had the dinosaur idea first). And talk about slow off the mark...

Coming soon - And just when you thought it couldn't get more pH neutral, somewhat predictably, up popped the beginnings of this season's story arc which will undoubtedly involve another tiresome delving into the Doctor's 'dark' background with another smart-arsed mystery figure who'll turn out to be someone SO important to the Doctor's lives that we've never seen or heard of them before...

Additional - Matt Smith is no longer the Doctor so having him appear in the episode was just gratuitous fan-pleasing. Not doubt something else Steven Moffat can say 'I-DID-IT-FIRST!!' about.

Does anything think Steven Moffat might have been bullied at school..?
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Controller 2957 wrote:Title sequence - Just how LITERAL does it have to get?

Theme - Stopped caring after Eccleston.

The new Doctor - Capaldi's mouth opened and it might as well have been Matt Smith saying the lines - everything was from the Moffat 'insta-quote' TM machine - eyebrows and furious mirrors etc. - breathlessly delivered but not actually dialogue as such. Why does everyone seem to talk in inverted commas? Capaldi was dynamic and involved but given bugger-all to work with.

The plot - Sadly I sneezed and missed the plot altogether. Another back-of-a-fag-packet jotting from Moffat with a ridiculously over-sized dinosaur bolted onto the front (although he claims he had the dinosaur idea first). And talk about slow off the mark...

Coming soon - And just when you thought it couldn't get more pH neutral, somewhat predictably, up popped the beginnings of this season's story arc which will undoubtedly involve another tiresome delving into the Doctor's 'dark' background with another smart-arsed mystery figure who'll turn out to be someone SO important to the Doctor's lives that we've never seen or heard of them before...

Additional - Matt Smith is no longer the Doctor so having him appear in the episode was just gratuitous fan-pleasing. Not doubt something else Steven Moffat can say 'I-DID-IT-FIRST!!' about.

Does anything think Steven Moffat might have been bullied at school..?
You had me all the way but lost me on the last line.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Controller 2957 wrote:Does anything think Steven Moffat might have been bullied at school..?
I hope so.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Dinosaurs in Dr. Who? Whoever heard of such a thing?

Has there actually been a stand-alone episode since Ecclestone departed? It seems to have become a long string of overlapping four, six, seven and thirteen-parters, Lux-style. Even the last Christmas special wasn't a one-off. What was Who doing walking around with a severed head, like bleedin' Saint Cuthbert?

I give up.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

brigham wrote:
Has there actually been a stand-alone episode since Ecclestone departed?
Tooth and Claw
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Idiots Lantern
The Satan Pit/ The Impossible Planet
Love and Monsters
Fear Her

....all off the top of my head from just the first year after Ecclestone (sic) departed

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

And Blink? By 'eck, that was a good 'un.

Although I'm basically with the points from Controller2957. Still, I can always dream of Invasion of the Dinosaurs with good special effects.

But I do realise that it's another generation's show, and I still like Day of the Doctor. They clearly made an effort to please the maximum (old/older and young) in that and generally carried it off. I'm hoping the fact that an older Doctor is in will help the show gravitate to easing off on the "light touch" pedal and militantly hip dialogue. I did like one or two individual scenes like the business in the restaurant.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Simon36 wrote:Having only dipped into the series occasionally, when I do watch I usually haven't a clue what's going on. There is so much backstory and to my mind at least barely any attempt to let casual viewers in on it all. At the start I was asking myself who the hell the lizard woman was, why there is a Sontaran butler etc etc... Any soap makes sure that a new viewer can quickly pick things up at any time. This just alienates me as I have no desire to mug up on everything from the last two years. It seems odd that the series now does stand-alone stories and yet makes it virtually impossible to watch them as stand-alones.
I don't agree with this much, every long-running show has recurring characters and knowing their back story is totally peripheral to the plot. The characters have been in a number of episodes and high profile ones at that, including on Christmas Day, so casual viewers are very likely to have stumbled upon them before. All you need to know is that they're the Doctor's Victorian pals, you don't need anything else to understand the story. Yes, one of them's a lizard, but that's Doctor Who.

You say you don't know why there is a Sontaran butler, but that won't confuse casual viewers because they presumably won't know who the Sontarans are. As far as they're concerned he's just a funny character who doesn't understand humans. A familiar sci-fi trope. My mum probably couldn't tell you he's a Sontaran but she knows what he does and who he is and she really likes him.

That is a criticism you could level at every single programme on television. When Sideshow Bob appears on The Simpsons they don't bother explaining why he's trying to kill Bart in every episode. What's the difference? If you were to watch the first in the new series of New Tricks there are relationships and characters you won't appreciate if you haven't watched it before, or watched it regularly.

I also think it's massively underestimating the intelligence of the audience who are quite happy to watch things like Game Of Thrones and Lord Of The Rings and can appreciate them without being smacked over the head by the plot. Even the Harry Potter films rely on extensive continuity and kids can sit through them with no problem.

And it's not like the original series didn't feature extensive continuity, especially when a Mr I Levine was on the payroll.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Steve Williams wrote:
I don't agree with this much, every long-running show has recurring characters and knowing their back story is totally peripheral to the plot. The characters have been in a number of episodes and high profile ones at that, including on Christmas Day, so casual viewers are very likely to have stumbled upon them before. All you need to know is that they're the Doctor's Victorian pals, you don't need anything else to understand the story. Yes, one of them's a lizard, but that's Doctor Who.

You say you don't know why there is a Sontaran butler, but that won't confuse casual viewers because they presumably won't know who the Sontarans are. As far as they're concerned he's just a funny character who doesn't understand humans. A familiar sci-fi trope. My mum probably couldn't tell you he's a Sontaran but she knows what he does and who he is and she really likes him.

That is a criticism you could level at every single programme on television. When Sideshow Bob appears on The Simpsons they don't bother explaining why he's trying to kill Bart in every episode. What's the difference? If you were to watch the first in the new series of New Tricks there are relationships and characters you won't appreciate if you haven't watched it before, or watched it regularly.

I also think it's massively underestimating the intelligence of the audience who are quite happy to watch things like Game Of Thrones and Lord Of The Rings and can appreciate them without being smacked over the head by the plot. Even the Harry Potter films rely on extensive continuity and kids can sit through them with no problem.

And it's not like the original series didn't feature extensive continuity, especially when a Mr I Levine was on the payroll.
That wasn't quite what I said. I just mean, to my perception, when I'm wandered into other long-running series I've managed to pick things up pretty quickly. With DrWho, every time, I've not been able to.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Aside from a few running threads like UNIT or Gallifrey the Classic series was never like that. Nearly all of the stories were individually self contained and you didn't need to worry about continuing threads or multiple continuities.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

But this isn't the classic series! Nor is it supposed to be. It's vastly more successful, both critically and in terms of its popularity, than the classic series ever was.

I prefer the old episodes too. I should think most of us here do. That's why we belong to a place called the Mausoleum Club. But to bemoan the fact that the new series isn't like the old is nonsensical. Of course it's not like the old; it's new. And it's doing really well. Be happy for it! As I've said before, if you want the classic series, listen to Big Finish. They're doing wonders with the old Doctors (and sometimes (gasp) there's even continuity). We're not kids anymore. They don't make kids' shows for us anymore. It's somebody else's turn, and they're enjoying it every bit as much as we did. Isn't that nice.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I think, one of the problems for some of us, is that, although it's a new version of the show, it also tries to be the old one, with nods and winks to the classic series, through dialogue, ideas, and general continuity, so it's constantly trying to convince us, it's the same show, but after 45 minutes, it feels as if it has offered up nothing, which is very frustrating, it shouts 'This is Doctor Who', but it isn't, it's an empty promise.

The plots in the old series, were largely revealed through the dialogue, which meant that the dialogue was almost always pertinent to the storyline, with the new series, there is not much plot in 45 minutes, so a certain amount of the dialogue is frivolous and throwaway.

As for "Deep Breath", Peter Capaldi was excellent as expected, but the rest was the usual, sadly, there was better pacing with longer scenes, but that might just be due to the double-length episode, back to 45 minutes on Saturday, so we will see.

Again, same as usual with the story arc, same pattern as all the previous ones, does any one care who "Missy" is?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

For those people who had watched it, did you notice that the Workprint had at least one extra scene in the Dalek story?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Yes, only a short one but significant...

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

drmih wrote:For those people who had watched it, did you notice that the Workprint had at least one extra scene in the Dalek story?

Really??!! I deleted the file but I better go and snag it again. At what point is the referenced scene in the work print?