The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Ross
D-MAC

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Ross »

I was always amused how the Mail would publish articles about how shocking fake violence in films is, then include a report about a boxing match.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I thought that was pretty good - twists were obvious but it's not meant to be a complex mystery I suppose.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

The Zygon Invasion....

in which the Zygons plan to take over the Earth by boring millions of viewers into a comatose state. Tactics include reusing old plots, and "surprise twists" that nobody could possibly have been surprised by. Meanwhile the Doctor counters this by becoming even more of a bad self-parody.

And this was just part 1 More next week.
Great News Inside, Chums!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:The Zygon Invasion....

in which the Zygons plan to take over the Earth by boring millions of viewers into a comatose state. Tactics include reusing old plots, and "surprise twists" that nobody could possibly have been surprised by. Meanwhile the Doctor counters this by becoming even more of a bad self-parody.

So.... you don't like it, then?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

but not quite as tedious as you coming on here every week to tell us you don't like it - stop watching it FFS and dig out your classic dvds with all those original plots:)

625 lines

drmih wrote:

but not quite as tedious as you coming on here every week to tell us you don't like it - stop watching it FFS and dig out your classic dvds with all those original plots:)
Well, this is a discussion thread about the current series. And I do watch it every week. And I then post what I thought about this week's episode(as do many others).

I thought the first part of the Lake/Flood was very good, and was disappointed by part 2. And last year served up two very strong episodes with Time Heist and Mummy on the Orient Express. So, I optimistically hope that there will be more episodes as good as those 3.

And it's not just Classic vs Nu. I wouldn't watch The Happiness Patrol again for anything.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

drmih wrote: but not quite as tedious as you coming on here every week to tell us you don't like it - stop watching it FFS and dig out your classic dvds with all those original plots:)
People are entitled to state their opinion.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Ross wrote:
drmih wrote: but not quite as tedious as you coming on here every week to tell us you don't like it - stop watching it FFS and dig out your classic dvds with all those original plots:)
People are entitled to state their opinion.
Thank you for stating the bloody obvious - I'm still looking for where I said otherwise! If only we just got people's own opinions rather than always framed as representing a huge selection of the viewing public - this week his audience survey discovered that it was apparently "boring millions of viewers into a comatose state".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, well obviously, it's silly to say it bored millions of people, when around six million switched off or over, just before it even started, that's true.

Didn't like this one myself, I have to say, it was obviously the result of watching "Newsnight" a few times, and another box ticker with the compulsory 'emotional scene' shoehorned in, when the woman came out of the building, I wearily shouted, 'It's his Mum', ( As I'm sure everybody did) saw that coming several light-years away, and despite Gold's music being half-decent this year, he resorted to 'sad' music for this scene.

And, that Presidential plane must be the biggest waste of time going, yet again it's an easy target, first time it was used, it was when the Cybermen could fly, so that was a good idea wasn't it, and now it gets used conveniently because The Doctor likes to 'Ponce about in a big plane', and hey...everybody's Dead again... or not as the case may be.

The Zygons don't look as good, having lost the protruding forehead and stomach, they no longer have that horrific foetus like appearance, and giving them pointed teeth doesn't compensate for it either.

The last couple of two-parters showed promise, but it's gone off again with this one, I feel.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

Hmmmm....The Zygon Invasion was the 46th most watched program. That doesn't sound very good! A far cry from being in the top 10.

625 lines

The Zygon Inversion reminded me of something kids might do.

At its heart it tried to be something with a positive message about peace, and how war is not the answer.

However they then turned it into a long talkie sequence that bored more than enlightened, And while all this talking was going on, the Doctor seemed to have no problem with Kate gunning down Zygons.(And we just HAD to have Kate say 'Five rounds rapid', didn't we?)

The big problem with these sort of stories is that it just takes it as read that after Osgood 3 said "The war is over"...it just is. Are we really going to believe that no more Zygons will ever get violent? No people will ever remember what happened to their friends and attack someone with an "Oi! You look like a Zygon, you do!"?

The ZYgon Inversion was trying to tell us that the "simple" answer is not the way, but that the simplistic answer apparently is.

The best cast member in this was Jenna Coleman. Capaldi failed to impress me. And Redgrave made me wonder whether there was a simultaneous Auton invasion.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

The media and fan sites seem to be raving about this episode, and Capaldi in particular. It was a bit lacking in action for me - DW is a kids / family drama and if I want something 'deeper' there are other programs better set up to provide it. The two parters this year have been good so far, but they always feel, as strange as it seems, that they are long single episodes stretched too much - the hour+ works better in my opinion.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Well, I thought it was blummen' brilliant!

Capaldi totally nailed it (Hughie Green impressions and all) and 'Five rounds rapid' was a punch the air moment.

I love Doctor Who. :o)
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote: The big problem with these sort of stories is that it just takes it as read that after Osgood 3 said "The war is over"...it just is. Are we really going to believe that no more Zygons will ever get violent? No people will ever remember what happened to their friends and attack someone with an "Oi! You look like a Zygon, you do!"?
The Doctor knows it will happen again, after all this was the 16th time it has since the truce, but each time it has been ended without war breaking out. The line when erasing the memory "Well didn't remember the first 15 times" shows this and that the truce back-up plan is still working.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Juswuh wrote:The tying everything together left me thinking "The Eleventh Hour was a good story, why couldn't you just LEAVE IT ALONE?"
Watching this one again I also felt that it was a good story. Everybody likes the Doctor trying all the foods. I don't get why an escaped prisoner would be prisoner zero; it's an odd name or it's an unrealistic number. The realisation of what "the human habitation" really is was well revealed though and the alien's voice was well chosen - reminded me of the master's voice in 'The Tripods'.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I really enjoyed the last two episodes, they felt more like the Who of old.
Not looking forward to the return of River Song! I never liked the character and hoped she would have remained gone after the Matt Smith era came to a close.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Well what to think of "Sleep No More" - he said at the beginning not to watch it - if only I'd listened to him! The sure-fire seasonal clunker from Gatiss.

625 lines

I didn't think that Sleep No More was terrible. it wasn't particularly good either, but there have been far worse episodes this year.

This did seem to be a Doctor-Who-by-the-numbers story. Everything could be seen approaching at a distance.

I wonder whether the Sandmen will play a part in the big 2-part Series Finale, or whether they'll just be forgotten about.

All in all a story that I would usually call 'mediocre', but that makes it the second best episode this year so far.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

I'm forced to admit that despite this season being a big ol' slice of fried awesome.....Sleep No More was a big bag of sick tied up with string.

Very poor, Bob.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

625 lines

Face the Raven:

Well, here's an old trick. Present a pretty average episode for 40+ minutes, one that people would normally forget the moment the end credits start to roll...

...but then stick a BIG scene at the end. Something significant to the ongoing arc, something that will no doubt move some people to tears. That way everyone will remember the END of the episode, but will conveniently forget the 40+ minutes that preceded it.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Face the Raven:

Well, here's an old trick. Present a pretty average episode for 40+ minutes, one that people would normally forget the moment the end credits start to roll...

...but then stick a BIG scene at the end. Something significant to the ongoing arc, something that will no doubt move some people to tears. That way everyone will remember the END of the episode, but will conveniently forget the 40+ minutes that preceded it.
I think you've got it totally wrong. It was cracking episode except for the drawn out and sentimental ending. We never had proper acting or the dramatic quality like this in the classic era - the season may well be one of the greatest ever, certainly up there with S5, S10 and S13 as I remember them.

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

drmih wrote:
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Face the Raven...a pretty average episode for 40+ minutes..a BIG scene at the end. That way everyone will remember the END of the episode, but will conveniently forget the 40+ minutes that preceded it.
I think you've got it totally wrong. It was cracking episode except for the drawn out and sentimental ending.

Two divergent opinions that make me glad I didn't waste my time. Nu Who seems to have progressed to its equivalent of the Colin Baker era with a competent actor dogged by lame scripts. No doubt Joe Pasquale is waiting in the wings to take the new Doctor Who into his final incarnation...
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

625 lines

Heaven Sent:

Did this episode really need the extra running time? My answer would be "No".

It seemed to drag on and on. And on. So the Doctor could go through a doorway.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Heaven Sent:

Couldn't you find anything really negative to say - it must have been a good one! I thought it was great to see something so adventurous in its approach, and really cementing Capaldi as one of the very top Doctors, and this season as one of the all time greats.

That Citizen Kane, spending all of that time going over his life to just find out what he called his sledge!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I didn't really get it. All a bit over-earnest and lacking in genuine wit, but it's been that way for a while (say, late Tom Baker!). I turned over for Dad's Army. Much more fun.

625 lines

drmih wrote:
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Heaven Sent:

Couldn't you find anything really negative to say - it must have been a good one! I thought it was great to see something so adventurous in its approach, and really cementing Capaldi as one of the very top Doctors, and this season as one of the all time greats.

That Citizen Kane, spending all of that time going over his life to just find out what he called his sledge!
There wasn't anything terrible or offensive about it(like there have been in other episodes this year). It was just.....boring. Nothing jumped out as being especially awful, but then there was nothing to commend either. Just 55 minutes of the Doctor running around and talking to himself.

DuncanS
405 lines

Post by DuncanS »

Magnificent - the best episode they have done in years.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

DuncanS wrote:Magnificent - the best episode they have done in years.
I thought it was superb! Held my attention from beginning to end! I can't wait for next week!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I know that the reviews have been very good for the story (from the national press and fans sites) but there is a concern that it will confuse of turn away the general / younger viewer. However, I'd much rather see them trying to push the limits and do something different than going through the motions as a pseudo children's drama.
The review in the Independent summed up my thoughts most accurately; "If you like your Berman [sic] and your Beckett you’ll probably get a hell of a lot more out of it than if you tuned in expecting ray guns and rubber monsters".

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Aside from whether the episode was any good or not, how did you read the whole story. I tend to think it was an Inception type storyline with the Doctor not actually physically going through the process millions of times, but rather in some sort of dream state between being teleported and arriving at Gallifrey. There was clearly a type of dream state / thought process taking him to the TARDIS through-out, but wasn't the whole time in the castle a similar construct to try and get him to reveal the information - the Veil was identified as something from his dreams to challenge him, but the solution, which was totally impractical (not that it would have helped much but he could have used the spade [to save a little time] or even the usual one stop solution of sonic waves from the glasses to affect the crystal structure), seemed like a device to allow his mind to break out of the loop. I know it's 'only a kids tv program' and I'm probably thinking too deeply about it, but how did others read it?