The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
drmih
625 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by drmih »

I have no issue with it being described as Fantasy, I just wondered where you thought it sat if not sci-fi. I do agree that the new series, particularly the SM ones, have more fantasy than the original series, but I'd still consider the majority of episodes to have the same ingredients as the original series, re: science-based explanations. However, just taking the last series, which stories are science based and which fanstasy:

The Pilot - Fantasy
Smile - Sci Fi (old Who type plot)
Thin Ice - Sci Fi (old Who type plot)
Knock Knock - Fantasy / Horror plot
Oxygen - Sci Fi
Extremis + Pyramid + Lie of the Land - (bit of a mess) but Sci Fi
Empress of Mars - Ice Warriors and old Who type plot
World Enough + Doctor Falls - Cybermen with dodgy-science based plot but still old Who

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Never seen JW before, so didn't know what to expect, she is certainly a good actress, and the music (incidentals and theme) were better.

The new Doctor is just like the previous Nu-Who Doctors, fast talking and suffering from Hyperactivity, would love to know how you make a Sonic from parts found in a Sheffield workshop.

It introduced the new characters, so the plotline was nothing really, an unremarkable episode though, felt a bit tired.

It got 8.1 in overnights, partly curiosity but also no opposition, so the Beeb picked a perfect slot for it, although it still felt 'out of the way'.

In the under 16's, more girls watched than boys, no surprise there, be interesting to see how it affects merchandise.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:In the under 16's, more girls watched than boys, no surprise there, be interesting to see how it affects merchandise.
You mean you haven't pre-ordered the £55 Barbie - very good likeness!

https://forbiddenplanet.com/261093-doct ... th-doctor/

I thought it was pretty good establishing episode albeit not much of a plot, but the introductions and back-story were well done. Hopefully it will now settle down into lots of good standalone episodes. The audience figures were astounding given modern viewing habits, so the BBC deserve some credit.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Mark wrote:In the under 16's, more girls watched than boys, no surprise there, be interesting to see how it affects merchandise.
You mean you haven't pre-ordered the £55 Barbie - very good likeness!

https://forbiddenplanet.com/261093-doct ... th-doctor/
What, at that price!...you must be joking, I'd expect a lot of accessories.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

The same present/future/past sequence for the first three episodes as in 2005 (with probably a lot spent again on the second one).
1. The Woman Who Fell To Earth : the action on the crane was good and gives the episode title a double meaning.
2. The Ghost Monument : really liked the film-like look and exotic location; it was like Planet Of The Dead.
3. Rosa : The Doctor got a bit too violent, I thought. Story very reminiscent of a Hartnell informative historical - which felt good.
4. Arachnids In The UK

They've all had some nice humour and I'm going to be watching on (I gave up on Peter Capaldi at this stage I'm afraid)
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Private Frazer wrote:
They've all had some nice humour and I'm going to be watching on (I gave up on Peter Capaldi at this stage I'm afraid)
I never started on Capaldi.
I was delighted to hear that the new Doctor was, at last, to be played by someone the right age for the role. (Capaldi was the same age as Hartnell, when he first appeared).
After much soul-searching, I realised that it wasn't the actor's age that was the problem.
It was mine. I'm just not the right age to watch it any more!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I've enjoyed this season so far, more so than for a few years. However, Rosa really raised the bar to a totally new level. Not that the story was perfect (the villan was a bit naff and all that was needed was something to change the timeline - Star Trek's City on the Edge of Forever did this wonderfully without a 'baddie'), but the way the topic was addressed and then resolved. Resisting the urge to have the Doctor instrumental rather than Rosa, was exactly what was required. However, the key thing was the discussions it raised and alhough I'm sure that many people knew the historical facts, by visualising them in such a way, was really powerful. What a transformation from just last Christmas, when we had a politically incorrect old man played for jokes, to this warts and all view of racism.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

I think Rosa achieved something I never thought possible - an actual sense of real physical threat to (some of) the companions. Surprisingly that they used the Almost N-word, but also the P-word, but they worked well in context.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:I thing Rosa achieved something I never thought possible - an actual sense of real physical threat to (some of) the companions. Surprisingly that they used the Almost N-word, but also the P-word, but they worked well in context.
The 'Almost N-word'? The P-word'?
Our new Victorian Values are really making progress.
My grandmother would have been delighted!

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Indeed, I'm struggling to guess what those words are but if they can be spoken on BBC Television on Sunday Teatime it's surely OK to post them on here!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

wittoner wrote:Indeed, I'm struggling to guess what those words are but if they can be spoken on BBC Television on Sunday Teatime it's surely OK to post them on here!
I hope this Forum is not going to descend into speaking this abominable filth.
It's Very Rude of the BBC to say such words, and I for one am going to write to Mr Reith about it!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Implying what words are is just polite. We all know what people \ media etc are talking about when they say 'the F or C word', but there's nothing wrong with not writing them out in full, even if only a handful of people would find it objectionable. Many forums use software which prevents them being used without substitution, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I always find it amusing when watching a sports event when they apologise for bad language coming over the effects mics, but if some people don't like hearing swearing, then fine. On sites such as this where we old codgers tend to push back against political correctness, surely we should therefore support traditional good manners:)

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

drmih wrote:Implying what words are is just polite. We all know what people \ media etc are talking about when they say 'the F or C word',
I agree on those but I, for one, am not sure what the "Almost N-word" and "P-word" are. Such circumlocutions are a barrier to clear communication.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Robin Davies wrote:
drmih wrote:Implying what words are is just polite. We all know what people \ media etc are talking about when they say 'the F or C word',
I agree on those but I, for one, am not sure what the "Almost N-word" and "P-word" are. Such circumlocutions are a barrier to clear communication.
Negro and Paki - hope that helps those struggling to solve the word puzzle:)

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

All is revealed!
Is 'Negro' an 'offensive' word now?
I don't know what I can say, and what I can't anymore, since I cancelled my subscription to the PC Monthly Digest!

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

Samuel L. Jackson has some fun with "the N-word" here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlNHXQCT_4

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

brigham wrote:All is revealed!
Is 'Negro' an 'offensive' word now?
I don't know what I can say, and what I can't anymore, since I cancelled my subscription to the PC Monthly Digest!
I would think so. It's just the historic Spanish / Portuguese version of black, derived from the Latin niger. Therefore whether it's the corruption of the latin, or the Spanish, it was a historic term used by slave owners etc to describe an underclass. It says nothing about the people in question apart from a generic description of their skin colour. If they were the 'ruling' class then the term might not be offensive (such as 'white'), but they weren't and as it was a term defined for them, rather than by them, it has historic connotations. I'm going to take a big stab in the dark and assume that you're not black, gay, or a woman given the PC comment.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

I don’t think you need to be playing minorities bingo here. Negro was a term used by many without there ever being any suggestion of offence. After all if you wanted to cause offence there’s the other n word.

Language and the use of it does evolve but for the life of me I can’t understand why “coloured” is now so offensive when people of colour is fine.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

All things are offensive to the professionally offended.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

The knee jerked today - the Mail on Sunday had a full page on how Doctor Who is the most PC series on television.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

David Boothroyd wrote:The knee jerked today - the Mail on Sunday had a full page on how Doctor Who is the most PC series on television.
To be more specific, they did an article about how a certain section of DW fans consider it to be so, along with the usual 'not my Doctor' nonsense - not quite what you're suggesting or based upon anything but a few tweets. Typical DM click-bait aimed at their nice readership.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Juswuh wrote:All things are offensive to the professionally offended.
...which sums up the whole issue.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

brigham wrote:
Juswuh wrote:All things are offensive to the professionally offended.
...which sums up the whole issue.
You just don't get it, do you? It's now no longer acceptable for us (I'm assuming white men of a certain age) to decide what is and isn't suitable language to refer to other people (not us); it's not for us to decide what behaviour is acceptable towards women; it's not for us to decide what gender / sexuality people wish to use. Hiding inappropriate opinions on day to day issues behind a tag of 'political correctness' is just a cop out - when the President of the Southampton University students union makes a fool of herself, or other such examples, then we call it out, but not for core values, many off which are now enshrined in law.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

and maybe you just don’t get it that many of “us” aren’t interested in self flagellation.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Duncan wrote:and maybe you just don’t get it that many of “us” aren’t interested in self flagellation.
Being decent and thinking of others isn't synonymous with 'self flagellation' - I'm not hung up on the fact that I had 60s attitudes in the 60s, 70s in the 70s etc but I do hope that I'm big enough to live in the present rather than shouting at the clouds.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

What did you think of this?

Great News Inside, Chums!

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

(Not watched Spooks)
I thought the fifth episode of current Doctor Who "The Tsuranga Conundrum" was OK but, if you are what you eat, shouldn't the monster have been more metallic? Laughed at the Sonic Screwdriver stuff. I've gone back and watched the start of episode 2 again - it's pretty exciting in Space, and Doctor Who is Sunday night viewing for us now.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I thought that the last couple were instantly forgettable. I can't see myself ever revisiting them. I'm hoping that next weeks, about the partition, has the same quality, seriousness and gravitas of Rosa.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

So, the only reply was one person saying "not watched Spooks"?

Wasn't there an issue about how it's "not acceptable to decide" etc.?

The point here of course being that in some regions of the world, the word 'spook's is an extremely derogatory term used to refer to Black people. Yet the PC BBC had no problem naming a show that!

So, who decides what is and isn't acceptable? You can't tell me that nobody involved in the production of that show, nor anybody at the BBC knew of the word's "other" meaning?

Once again, the Rules only apply to other people, and under certain circumstances...

As for the new 'Doctor', i gave it a try. And I realised that The Female Doctor may not have been the biggest problem. No, the biggest problem was how utterly formulaic and predictable it was. Paint By Numbers Nu Who. And utterly tedious.
Great News Inside, Chums!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

It was just obvious trolling. As the term is still most widely used in its original form to mean a ghost or ghoul, which then became something covert or ghostly as related to security services in the UK, I'm not sure if there have ever been any objections - the programme was called 'MI-5' in the USA because it is considered a racial slur. There are many words which have different meanings in other languages or slang expressions which I'm sure most people in the UK might not know. The issue, which I thought had gone away, is the deliberate use of words which offend those that are tagged with them. Using 'spook' to describe a spy or ghost isn't offensive, but would be if the context was changed to make a racial slur.