The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Brian F
625 lines
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Brian F »

Richard Bignell wrote:
Mark wrote:Thought the second episode was back to the usual...and then there's the Jodrell Bank clanger!
Clanger?
It was only known as the Pharos Project in the original Tom Baker story, never by the name of the place it was modeled on.

brigham
HD
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by brigham »

The die-hard fans will shortly be along to announce the exact point where the off-screen Doctor and his nemesis visited the radio telescope at Jodrell Bank, thus justifying yet another simple continuity error.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

Not only that, but why did he mention apologising for what he did, he's never done it for any other of the times he's tried to kill her!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Richard Bignell
405 lines
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Richard Bignell »

Brian F wrote:
Richard Bignell wrote:
Mark wrote:Thought the second episode was back to the usual...and then there's the Jodrell Bank clanger!
Clanger?
It was only known as the Pharos Project in the original Tom Baker story, never by the name of the place it was modeled on.
The Pharos Project was just that. A project being run at a radio telescope, just as lots of science groups buy radio telescope time. It wasn't the name of the actual site.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

True, but if it was Jodrell Bank, then there are Sussex Ambulances being used in the area ("Castrovalva").

Odd it was never name called in "Logopolis" though, perhaps a case of 'We're not saying it's Jodrell Bank, but it obviously is'.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by fatcat »

Following on from New Year I thought I would give it another go.

But this week I would like to ask what real Dr.Who fans think of it?

I don't care about diversity or Dr.Who being a woman...good for her, as I look at it just as a drama whereas a true fan might mourn certain Dr.Who conventions if there are any. maybe... I don't know?
I have obviously dipped in and out of it over it's long run, but I seem to recall in the 50p a minute days structured well thought out scenarios with good actors using your imagination to make up the shortfalls in producing an illusion on the cheap.

Tonight's one I thought chaotic with a muddled script, but then the PC speech at the end going on about global warming killed it for me and I cannot be bothered seeking it out again.

In the US they could knock out a Star Trek in less than 10 days and it would be very watchable and still is...Dr Who these days takes all year to produce 10 episodes ..go figure.



.

drmih
625 lines
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by drmih »

I'm not sure of your logic re: Star Trek - Discovery is about 14 40 min episodes per year and I think Picard will be 10 episodes, so pretty much the same as DW. Discovery can certainly be a bit hit and miss like DW, and give the choice I'd go for The Orville over both of them.

voyager
405 lines
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by voyager »

Too many mini plot lines relating to family in this weeks episode so none were properly developed and so didn't really grab the attention.
Could have done without the OTT climate change speech by the Doctor being forced down our throats.. please don't preach. But then again this is the BBC who seem to have made climate change their new mission statement and must push it on the viewer/listener at every opportunity.

User avatar
Juswuh
D-MAC
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Juswuh »

I watched last night’s and thought it wasn’t bad to begin with, but after they left the dome it became convoluted and repetitive - the silly bit about those two characters being mother and daughter (it would have helped if they’d borne the slightest similarity to each other), one character after another being in a danger zone and having to be retrieved by the others, three or four heroic sacrifices in turn. Plus the monsters felt very perfunctory.

User avatar
spflog1
625 lines
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by spflog1 »

fatcat wrote: Tonight's one I thought chaotic with a muddled script, but then the PC speech at the end going on about global warming killed it for me and I cannot be bothered seeking it out again.
Yes, the episode Orphan 55 was truly appalling. I turned to my wife towards the end and said this has to be one of the worst Dr Who stories of all time. It's definitely up there with Twin Dilemma.

Having watched all the episodes since Chris Chibnall took over, I wouldn't say this one was particularly representative. I sincerely hope it's not representative of the rest of this season. If it is then I wouldn't be surprised to see the show put on hiatus again. It would certainly deserve to be.

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by fatcat »

spflog1 wrote:
fatcat wrote: Tonight's one I thought chaotic with a muddled script, but then the PC speech at the end going on about global warming killed it for me and I cannot be bothered seeking it out again.
Yes, the episode Orphan 55 was truly appalling. I turned to my wife towards the end and said this has to be one of the worst Dr Who stories of all time. It's definitely up there with Twin Dilemma.

Having watched all the episodes since Chris Chibnall took over, I wouldn't say this one was particularly representative. I sincerely hope it's not representative of the rest of this season. If it is then I wouldn't be surprised to see the show put on hiatus again. It would certainly deserve to be.
I get the impression with the BBC these days that somebody dishes out an 'issue' first, then the writers have to work a story into it, and on the basis of Orphan 55 it doesn't work...and god knows how many people worked on that.


.

User avatar
Ian Wegg
625 lines
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Ian Wegg »

Just to inject a positive note, it was nice to see Julia Foster on our screens again.

Brian F
625 lines
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Brian F »

Ian Wegg wrote:Just to inject a positive note, it was nice to see Julia Foster on our screens again.
From what I've read elsewhere it won't be long until we see her again.

User avatar
spflog1
625 lines
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by spflog1 »

fatcat wrote:
spflog1 wrote:
fatcat wrote: Tonight's one I thought chaotic with a muddled script, but then the PC speech at the end going on about global warming killed it for me and I cannot be bothered seeking it out again.
Yes, the episode Orphan 55 was truly appalling. I turned to my wife towards the end and said this has to be one of the worst Dr Who stories of all time. It's definitely up there with Twin Dilemma.

Having watched all the episodes since Chris Chibnall took over, I wouldn't say this one was particularly representative. I sincerely hope it's not representative of the rest of this season. If it is then I wouldn't be surprised to see the show put on hiatus again. It would certainly deserve to be.
I get the impression with the BBC these days that somebody dishes out an 'issue' first, then the writers have to work a story into it, and on the basis of Orphan 55 it doesn't work...and god knows how many people worked on that.
There's a BBC1 afternoon soap called, amusingly enough, Doctors which definitely fits that modus operandi.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

It wasn't good was it!...the overnights are declining week on week, started at 4.80, and Sunday's was 4.19.

Agree with the others, the only good thing was Julia Foster back on TV again, although she didn't have a lot to do or say though.

I enjoyed "His Dark Materials", which I know is adapted from the book (which I hadn't read) and it was an expensive co-production, but the writing was miles ahead, although the last episode was somewhat anti climactic.

As many have mentioned before ( including me) the 50 min episode format is so limiting, it's just the same thing every week, and I think people are getting tired of it.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:I enjoyed "His Dark Materials", which I know is adapted from the book (which I hadn't read) and it was an expensive co-production, but the writing was miles ahead, although the last episode was somewhat anti climactic.
I think the ending had to draw a line for the next series. The first series wasn't just the first book of the trilogy but rather had a few storylines brought forward - there's not as much of the alternative world in the first book. Anyway, I guess we'll have two more series automatically, and he's just finished the second book of the second trilogy, so a further three to come, and unlike GoT, the author should have the final book complete before it hits the screen.

Brian F
625 lines
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Brian F »

spflog1 wrote: There's a BBC1 afternoon soap called, amusingly enough, Doctors which definitely fits that modus operandi.
They have to fit in two story threads with different characters that come together at the end as well, most of the time.

User avatar
Ian Wegg
625 lines
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brian F wrote:
spflog1 wrote: There's a BBC1 afternoon soap called, amusingly enough, Doctors which definitely fits that modus operandi.
They have to fit in two story threads with different characters that come together at the end as well, most of the time.
... and always with some kind of twist that results in the villain of the story turning out to be fundamentally decent (and vica versa).

Don't be deceived by Doctors. As discussed in: BBC sneak out a disguised "Ghost Story for Christmas", there is a surprising flexibility behind the formulaic appearance.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Mark wrote:I enjoyed "His Dark Materials", which I know is adapted from the book (which I hadn't read) and it was an expensive co-production, but the writing was miles ahead, although the last episode was somewhat anti climactic.
I think the ending had to draw a line for the next series. The first series wasn't just the first book of the trilogy but rather had a few storylines brought forward - there's not as much of the alternative world in the first book. Anyway, I guess we'll have two more series automatically, and he's just finished the second book of the second trilogy, so a further three to come, and unlike GoT, the author should have the final book complete before it hits the screen.
Yes, I only realised there was more to come when the Beeb plugged the DVD series 1.

A serial of course, so different to Nu-Who, but the writing was sensible and involving, unlike NuW, which seems stuck in a rut, with another story arc ( which will likely turn out to be nothing).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by drmih »

Wasn't it good, after years of leaks, set-pics and rumours, to watch an episode when you thought WTF! The core story was very much join the dots, but a bit like Spyfall, this acted to cover big reveals. Whether they are resolved properly later in the series is always an issue, or the concepts upset traditionalists, just for one week it was good to be suprised. I actually preferred the alternative Doctor (I doubt they are going to try and slot a new set into the existing 13 - more likely a cross-over / alternative universe where, looking at the TARDIS, we're seeing a Doctor akin to Hartnell being persued by the Time Lords), and if we could shove Jodie and the young assistants into said universe and keep this one and Jack, then good by me.

voyager
405 lines
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by voyager »

It was certainly an improvement on recent episodes and it makes a change to have a storyline to think about. I only hope that there isn't a cop-out resolution.

User avatar
Juswuh
D-MAC
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Juswuh »

I thought Skyfall was Chibnall doing an RTD-style story, and last night’s episode felt like him doing Moffat - not a good thing at all.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

Juswuh wrote:I thought Skyfall was Chibnall doing an RTD-style story, and last night’s episode felt like him doing Moffat - not a good thing at all.
No, I agree, it really feels like they have run out of ideas, yet more alternative time lines and different sets of Doctors.

It's just going over the same ground again and again.

Nice TARDIS though...oh and last weeks Queen monster was very good, but the episode itself felt like a schools programme!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Cole
625 lines
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:08 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Cole »

Mark wrote:
No, I agree, it really feels like they have run out of ideas, yet more alternative time lines and different sets of Doctors.

It's just going over the same ground again and again.

Nice TARDIS though...oh and last weeks Queen monster was very good, but the episode itself felt like a schools programme!
Apparently, this is a legitimate Doctor, according to Chibnall in the Daily Mirror yesterday. It waits to be revealed at which point she's going to be shoved in. The consensus seems to be in between Troughton and Pertwee.

brigham
HD
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by brigham »

Cole wrote:
Apparently, this is a legitimate Doctor, according to Chibnall in the Daily Mirror yesterday. It waits to be revealed at which point she's going to be shoved in. The consensus seems to be in between Troughton and Pertwee.
Chibnall's wrong.
There was NO Doctor between Troughton and Pertwee.
I was watching. I'd have noticed!

drmih
625 lines
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by drmih »

I think the logic of shoving her in between 2 and 3 is because it's the only regeneration we never saw, albeit Pertwee did stagger out in Troughton's clothes, and Troughton did have a screwdriver. However, I think it'll be more complicated and less problematic than that - in the brief flashbacks to the Timeless Child it's a black actor, so I think it will be tied to that. I just hope it's a clever resolution.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:01 pm
Cole wrote:
Apparently, this is a legitimate Doctor, according to Chibnall in the Daily Mirror yesterday. It waits to be revealed at which point she's going to be shoved in. The consensus seems to be in between Troughton and Pertwee.
Chibnall's wrong.
There was NO Doctor between Troughton and Pertwee.
I was watching. I'd have noticed!
Same hear!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:25 pm
I think the logic of shoving her in between 2 and 3 is because it's the only regeneration we never saw, albeit Pertwee did stagger out in Troughton's clothes, and Troughton did have a screwdriver. However, I think it'll be more complicated and less problematic than that - in the brief flashbacks to the Timeless Child it's a black actor, so I think it will be tied to that. I just hope it's a clever resolution.
I bet it won't, it'll be just as messy as in the Moffat era, all of these muddled story arcs are only needed to give the story-less episodes a boost, otherwise they all look just the same ( see the last series).

I will say, the Actress playing this 'New' Doctor was good, and I also very much liked that Gallifreyan Girl, good dialogue and the Actress was very good, shame they killed her off ( would have made a good companion).

For me personally, it all makes Nu-Who very definitely non-canon though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:35 am
Not only that, but why did he mention apologising for what he did, he's never done it for any other of the times he's tried to kill her!
Because he was taking the piss, them being on top of another tall structure.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

See what you mean, I just thought it was gratuitous continuity.

If this new Doctor is legit, perhaps it's JW who is in the wrong Universe, might explain why UNIT and Torchwood are gone, and Gallifrey is in ruins.?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Post Reply