The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
voyager
405 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by voyager »

Yet another issue led episode this week, this time mental health. I realise that this is something to be addressed but surely not in what is supposed to be an sf programme. Additionally the heavy handed preachy way that all of the recent episodes have been dished up is almost certainly putting off the remaining viewers. At this rate I can see the doctor being exiled to oblivion again very soon.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I notice that weeks pass and episodes get almost no discussion, here and at a couple of other places. I'm not surprised, because most of them feel very uninspired - and even stunts like the mystery is-she-isn't-she Doctor are uninspired. Chibnall simply doesn't have original ideas.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

No, very poor, it's either issues or history lessons now, looks like it's the latter next Sunday.

Sunday night's episode had overnights of just under 4 million, another drop.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

The sad thing is Jodie Whittaker's first five in 2018 were excellent.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Well, here we all are. It's been a while.

This new series is a bit of a curates egg, isn't it? I really do think they have made more of an effort. But I think people are losing interest in it. Every time they build it up, and generate a bit of a buzz, but it's just so tired. With the best will in the world Jodie Whittaker is pretty dull, and the stories themselves are amateur. They don't convince with their erratic pace and eye rolling worthiness. We are all only really watching to find out about the Timeless Child.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Yes, it's very sad to see the state of the current series. The heavy handed delivery of the seemingly obligatory moral messages can be painful to watch. The stories are nowhere near good enough to mitigate for, or take our minds away from, these irritants.

I really do hope this doesn't lead to a cancellation but it cannot be denied that a re-evaluation of the series is desperately needed. Hopefully a little application of a bit of common sense will prevail. Think about what works (and there are many good things) and what doesn't. Overt moralising issues apart, 50 minutes per story was never a great idea.

I have to wonder where these damaging proselytizing influences on the show originate from and if it's something being forced upon the production team from on high. If this actually is the case then someone needs to understand the detrimental impact they're having. There's not much use in having a show for preaching if nobody's watching. Seriously, they need to get real.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Tonight's episode, The Haunting of Villa Diodati, was more like it. I was perfectly happy with this one. It thankfully shows they can still get it right.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I particularly liked the way the episode's writer linked in the events surrounding the real life invention of the literary creation of Frankenstein's monster into a cyberman story. Frankenstein certainly has been said to the ultimate origin of the whole cyberman concept.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It certainly was an improvement, possibly the best of the JW episodes so far.

Also quite liked the reading of the poem at the end, nicely done, and thankfully no history lesson laid on with a trowel.

Possibly too late to pull back the lost audience though.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Wasn't there a bit of the misogynist getting his comeuppance. It was a better story but I'm just not convinced the main cast are capable actors - it really stands out when you get good guests, as has been the case on a few occasions.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Byron you mean? Well, yes he was a bit of an arse. Although, from what I've seen elsewhere it's been framed as a modern, PC thing. I'm not entirely convinced that you can use an historical character in that context.

That aside it was a cracking episode I thought. Although, I must admit I'm still waiting for that Jodie is the Doctor moment.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

drmih wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:38 pm
I'm just not convinced the main cast are capable actors - it really stands out when you get good guests, as has been the case on a few occasions.
My wife has said much the same thing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Have you noticed, all the episodes of this series so far, have been set on Earth, (apart from a chunk of the one a fortnight ago).

In different times, but not much anywhere else.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 am
Have you noticed, all the episodes of this series so far, have been set on Earth, (apart from a chunk of the one a fortnight ago).

Shades of Jon Pertwee.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 am
Mark wrote:

Shades of Jon Pertwee.
Yes but JP was stuck here, what's JW's excuse!

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Big new TARDIS control room, but it doesn't actually work properly perhaps? :-)

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Mark wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:31 am
brigham wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:16 am
Mark wrote:

Shades of Jon Pertwee.
Yes but JP was stuck here, what's JW's excuse!
The writers' wanting to involve environmental issues.

The first part of finale was quite good; will all three companions still be there at the end?
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Well that was a bit rubbish although it looked good. The core cyberman story was a bit weak, especially split across two episodes - re-animated cybermen work with Master to conquer the universe and then don't. However, it was the Timeless nonsense which was just an add on and didn't really need to be included, except it's been obvious that the show-runner thought he was very clever and had to find a way to get to it. We were really lucky to have such a good run of white male Doctors as before them there was such a rainbow alliance of children and young adults, and wouldn't you guess it that the creator of the Time Lords was also a woman, with Omega et al taking the credit and airbrushing her out. There were just so many plot holes / inconsistencies:

How did the Master destroy Gallifrey?
Didn't any of the Time Lords think of escaping using all of the TARDIS' lying around?
How can dead Time Lords regenerate?;
How did the chap who can't even ride a bike throw a bomb about 200m?;
How did they all get off the huge cybermen ship when the bombs went off early;
Why did the cybermen just hang around waiting to be blown up;
Why did the cyberium (?) go from being 'good' and hiding away with Shelley to so easily link up with the Master;
When did the Doctor become so ready to let others sacrifice themselves on her behalf and run away;
Police Box TARDIS before Hartnell's:
How did the Judoon get into the TARDIS;
etc etc etc

In fact if they'd been brave enough to make the Master the Timeless Child it would have made his actions much more sense.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I thought it contained long passages of tedium. I think Gallifrey is a dull setting - the Doctor left there a long time ago, and that's all the "origin" he, or indeed she, needs. "Everything you know is a lie" is a boring, irritating premise, and it wasn't improved by the Master either intoning it portentously movie-trailer style or dancing around as if he needed his medication changed (or had just been to see Joaquin Phoenix in Joker). I've never seen The Brain Of Morbius, and if I had I wouldn't expect most viewers to be thrilled by a story that depended on knowing it 40 years later. And again, the Doctor hardly did anything. The climax comes when she could destroy the Master and the Cybermen along with herself; she won't do it, but somebody else does while she RUNS AWAY?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was a bit of a drag, overlong because of all the stuff they had to pack in.

The biggest fuss over it seems to be about the so called re-write of the show's history, but it's obvious The Doctor isn't the Timeless child.

No one seems to have mentioned the scene in the Matrix, when it all goes blank and The Master says he can't access the information because it's corrupted and he can't retrieve it, that scene wasn't there for nothing, obviously it will be accessed in a future episode and it will turn out to be someone else.

I would also guess Graham might be living with that female character they came back with, when we see them again, there seemed to be a spark between them.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Everyone loves K9 but the last time anyone tried to foist a dog on the TARDIS it was for the TVM, when the Doctor almost ended up travelling around with a plucky bulldog called Winston. Apparently this was a touch added by the writers to demonstrate how they'd be staying true to the Britishness of the original series.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"...I would also guess Graham might be living with that female character they came back with, when we see them again, there seemed to be a spark between them."

How reactionary!
Would never have happened in RTD's day!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 am
The biggest fuss over it seems to be about the so called re-write of the show's history, but it's obvious The Doctor isn't the Timeless child.

No one seems to have mentioned the scene in the Matrix, when it all goes blank and The Master says he can't access the information because it's corrupted and he can't retrieve it, that scene wasn't there for nothing, obviously it will be accessed in a future episode and it will turn out to be someone else.

I would also guess Graham might be living with that female character they came back with, when we see them again, there seemed to be a spark between them.
It's a thought but I think it's just because they didn't want to have to show lots of previous Doctors / storylines.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

They did show the previous Doctors ( How ever many there are now!).

I'm sure it's just a trick to get people talking about it, no one would dare change the show's history, the only new thing will be the idea of Regeneration taken from the child, adding to the mythology is okay, although I can't say I like this idea much.

That missing info will turn up and The Doctor will find out who it really is, and why she has memories of all this Irish storyline.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:43 am
They did show the previous Doctors ( How ever many there are now!).
I meant ones we didn't know about - there was Ruth and the production team from Morbius as photos but if they didn't have the wiped matrix there should have been loads there - all of the 'murdered' kids for a start and then however many the trace memory of the Irish story is covering. I've long since stopped expecting clever story-lines when things have plot-holes, and this new chap seems hopeless.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The idea of The Matrix having missing info, has obviously been cribbed from "Trial Of A Timelord", when it's discovered it's been tampered with, which is ironic as that's the series CC complained about on "Open Air" all those years ago.

They should do an episode called "Planet Of The Doctors", with them all wandering about trying to work out which ones they are:

'Are you between 2 and 3?'

'No I'm before 1, either that or an alternate one between 11 and 12, what about you/'

'I'm 39 or one of the multiple versions of 10!'

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Moffat clearly couldn't resist a regeneration scene (despite making a hash of every one he wrote) and it seems that Chibnall has a similar thing for alternate Doctors.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Colin Baker once said The Doctor was like the lone cowboy, riding into town, solving the problem and then leaving with no one any the wiser.

Now it's dragged down with all these ludicrous other Doctor episodes and story arcs.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It may have outlived the original concept.
Perhaps it's time for a revamp; 'Doctor Who, Task Force', or 'The Doctors from Shiloh' (or Gallifrey).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It might not get that far, overnights under 4 million for the finale, despite a Radio Times cover.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Viewing figures have been down for the last five years. There was a short-lived resurgence of interest due to the novelty of a female Doctor but figures soon returned to their former levels and downward trend. The embarrassing, heavy-handed preaching during the earlier part of this season no doubt drove away many viewers who had remained.

I don't agree that the series has outlived its original concept which I believe is timeless in its appeal. Its flexibility is its strength. If it's done well then viewing figures will improve. People liked what the show was, they don't like what it's become.