The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Mark »

Do they even have a script editor now, or is it all down to the Producer?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Mark wrote:Do they even have a script editor now, or is it all down to the Producer?
That is a good point. In J-NT's day the direction the series took was to a large extent decided by the Script Editor, inadvertently presaging the way series often work today. Chris Chibnall is the Executive Producer/Head Writer, but is working alongside Matt Strevens and Sam Hoyle, so all the responsibilities for the physical production of the series are not on one pair of shoulders. Others more knowledgeable than myself may know better, but I read that as meaning that the Script Editor post is now folded in with that of Executive Producer.

Broadening the point, looking back, it's amazing how a series as complex as Star Trek was made with only one Producer, originally Gene Roddenberry. Today even a standard issue American police procedural has a battery of producers to ensure smooth running.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, just look at the distinction between the Bidmead, Saward and Cartmel eras, very different.

I'm no fan of this 'Showrunner' idea, to much to do, and perhaps why the Moffat years were so messy.

No rehearsals either of course, just running through each scene before recording, so the whole creative Writer/Script Editor and rehearsals process allowing a whole team effort to iron out any problems has gone.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I think sometime in the 80s American shows developed "producer bloat", with people who in the old days would have been called something else and possibly not named onscreen demanding producer titles and separate credits.

Getting on topic, I quite like Jodie Whittaker in herself, but I still think you can't just have the Doctor go through an arbitrary sex-change. It doesn't work, and it weakens the concept of regeneration as a dramatic device - already overused in the Moffat years.

(I watched the Capaldi-to-Whittaker scene the other night. It was awful, with Capaldi's interminable monologue beforehand. For someone who used regeneration as a tease and a cheap thrill so much, it's notable that Moffat bungled every regeneration scene he wrote.)

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

I've loved this series. Absolutely loved it. Happiest I've been with the show since its return in 2005. Doc 13 has been great, the companions are fun - especially Bradley Walsh's Graham - and I've really enjoyed the smaller scale of it all. It all got too overblown for me, with the Lonely God/Oncoming Storm nonsense, and all the bells and whistles, all the damned time. Jodie Whittaker reminds me of Troughton and Davison.

Some very good historicals this series, I thought. I had felt that the series low point was 'The Tsuranga Conundrum', but I saw my three teenage nieces at the weekend, and they were all raving over the series, and had all adored the cutesy foe in that episode, so I guess it was still hitting its targets! Great viewing figures and AI scores for this series too, which is always nice to see.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The less 'epic' feel to the series was a plus point, certainly, along with the better music.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Juswuh wrote:I think sometime in the 80s American shows developed "producer bloat", with people who in the old days would have been called something else and possibly not named onscreen demanding producer titles and separate credits.

Getting on topic, I quite like Jodie Whittaker in herself, but I still think you can't just have the Doctor go through an arbitrary sex-change. It doesn't work, and it weakens the concept of regeneration as a dramatic device - already overused in the Moffat years.

(I watched the Capaldi-to-Whittaker scene the other night. It was awful, with Capaldi's interminable monologue beforehand. For someone who used regeneration as a tease and a cheap thrill so much, it's notable that Moffat bungled every regeneration scene he wrote.)
Presumably for merchandise reasons , every time The Doctor regenerates, The TARDIS gets a new control room and a new Sonic is introduced.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Well the Special didn't work for me, and what about all of the soap opera padding in the middle? There have been three or four good episodes (the historicals plus the Amazon one), but after a promising start just became a bit tedious. I didn't like the UNIT bit, and the solution with the microwave and then the saving hand at the end just clichéd.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

That’s the first series of Doctor Who I’ve enjoyed since 1984. I could never get on with the new series until now.

Loved Jodie, loved the simplicity and decency of it all, the lack of constant music, the lack of pompous, maddening story arcs.

There were only a couple of things that didn’t quite work for me: too many companions. There’s always going to be someone who misses out. There just isn’t enough time for all four to have enough time with each other separately.

And also, modern Doctor Who just can’t reisst going for the nuclear option all the time. Once someone has died and come back to life once or been hanging out of the TARDIS as it hurtles through space, it’s diminishing returns from then on. Calm it down. I don’t think big spectacles like that which are usually resolved by a deus ex machina, are anything like as suspenseful as something a bit more low-key.

But all round, lovely, feel-good stuff, and everyone I know who has kids reports thumbs up.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Have to agree with drmih, on the whole, the UNIT bit was ludicrous, and no titles again.

How did the Dalek speak with no casing?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Telepathy? :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:Telepathy? :-)
Interesting idea, but would it sound electronic?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Just one of those little things that brings you down to reality.
It isn't always the over-fantastic elements that shatter the illusion.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Dalek looked remarkably like a Cherilea one from Woolworths in the 60s, I still have one of them!

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Mark wrote:
Brian F wrote:Telepathy? :-)
Interesting idea, but would it sound electronic?
Possibly, if that's how the Dalek thought its voice should sound.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Has anyone watched the Series 12 episode yet? I ask as I haven't. (And that shows how low the show has fallen for me...)

If anyone has seen it, is it just More Of The Same?

Thank you.
Great News Inside, Chums!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Has anyone watched the Series 12 episode yet? I ask as I haven't. (And that shows how low the show has fallen for me...)

If anyone has seen it, is it just More Of The Same?

Thank you.
It looks very good and is a two parter - the second part is next Sunday, so I'm being careful what I say plot-wise. It's very James Bond, with some of the situations very good and tense, but others, such as a car chase, a bit lacking. I still have an issue with too many companions to split the action across, although they try and solve this by putting them into two teams. Big reveal at the end of the episode which I found disappointing (historically) but you might appreciate. Solid enough but lots of questions to be answered so it will depend on how the second part addresses them (or not). Perhaps wait until after next Sunday for a definitive answer.

625 lines

I have seen it now and here are my thoughts.

The episode was dull. There was really nothing of note(apart from the inevitable 'The Doctor has been upgraded to a woman!" type comments.)

And then, the Reveal.

Really, this was what many people accused Earthshock of. That it was generally rather rubbish, but it brought back a classic villain.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I think it's time to get over the issue of the actor being a woman - she'll be gone sooner rather than later as 3 years seems tops nowadays (even the end of this season chronologically). I'm just not keen on her portrayal of the role and with hindsight wonder what it would have been like with Phoebe Waller-Bridge (now she's a mega-star, both sides of the camera, that boat has sailed).

625 lines

drmih wrote:I think it's time to get over the issue of the actor being a woman - she'll be gone sooner rather than later as 3 years seems tops nowadays (even the end of this season chronologically). I'm just not keen on her portrayal of the role and with hindsight wonder what it would have been like with Phoebe Waller-Bridge (now she's a mega-star, both sides of the camera, that boat has sailed).
That scene with Stephen Fry really had to hammer home the point though, didn't it? So, I was commenting on something in the episode, not making a random 'Oh, no, the Doctor is a woman!" comment.

And, as I believe I stated some time back, the 'character' can't even be called that. Because it's not a character at all, just Jodie Whitaker doing a third-rate cosplay of Matt Smith.

I feel that the only one of the four people in the Main Cast who comes close to a genuine person at all is Ryan.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Agreed.
It's time THEY got over the issue of the actor being a woman.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thought the episode was better than any from last series and more upmarket, but it still tread the same water, from the captioned places around the world ( as with last years Dalek episode) to the final scenes.

Lenny Henry was good, but JW is waving that Sonic more than ever! ( I was actually very sad when it was destroyed in "The Visitation", but I would happily see it blown up now).

625 lines

Spyfall Part Two

This wasn't really anything. Just plodding, formulaic Nu Who. I can't really say much more than that. This show really needs, something, anything, to make it interesting. And, no , 'the Doctor is a woman now' doesn't count.

voyager
405 lines

Post by voyager »

Hate the new version of the theme ...where's the bass! Please go back and listen to the original version.
Also when did the Doctor develop this new superpower of being able to erase people's memories

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

voyager wrote:Hate the new version of the theme ...where's the bass! Please go back and listen to the original version.
Also when did the Doctor develop this new superpower of being able to erase people's memories
Well, if I hadn't already stopped watching it, I probably would now.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

voyager wrote: Also when did the Doctor develop this new superpower of being able to erase people's memories
It would have been more believable if the Doctor had been given a source of Torchwood's Retcon drug.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Too lazy to go and check but how did the Doctor wipe Donna's memory?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

My ten pence worth.

Not being an actual Dr.Who fan I enjoyed the recent two-parter over the holidays as a stand-alone drama adventure.
Thought the characters did a great job with the not quite there script, although the premise of us being given all this amazing technology over the past 20 years in order to hang ourselves was thought-provoking and right on the button.
The spectres of Vera were suitably creepy and scary
(I called them spectres of Vera as they reminded me Vera the detective bleached out LOL)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:Too lazy to go and check but how did the Doctor wipe Donna's memory?
I'd like to answer that, but ironically, I've forgotten.

Thought the second episode was back to the usual...and then there's the Jodrell Bank clanger!

Richard Bignell
405 lines

Post by Richard Bignell »

Mark wrote:Thought the second episode was back to the usual...and then there's the Jodrell Bank clanger!
Clanger?