The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Paul Hayes
625 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Paul Hayes »

Mark wrote:Peter Davison is on the special, so he may mention his story of his announcement being on the same BBC news edition as Ronald Reagan as President.

He did loads of appearances at the time, "Saturday Night At The Mill", "Blue Peter", "Pebble Mill".

One interesting aspect of this 'Special", is the BBC using a fake billing of "Celebrity Mastermind", making the Radio Times incorrect and the Special a 'phantom' programme.
Might not have been a fake billing as such - they might not have known exactly when they'd be able to announce it, so the Mastermind repeat could possibly have run.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

So who have the fan illuminati got their money on?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

GarethR wrote:So who have the fan illuminati got their money on?
The fat student from the BT Broadband ads.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Whoever it is, the whole prospect of a "last Doctor" story arc very likely going on for all the next series is enormously depressing.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Juswuh wrote:Whoever it is, the whole prospect of a "last Doctor" story arc very likely going on for all the next series is enormously depressing.
Thank you for that. I'm depressed just thinking about it. Lots of angst and story arc nonsense. And you just know Stephen Moffat will want to stick it out and be the one to relaunch Doctor Who for another 50 years. After all, he's already retrofitted Clara right back to the very beginning and he probably wants to end it too. Where's me rope.....

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I don't mind all Moffat's continuity stuff. At least it doesn't hideously rewrite everything you ever knew about Doctor Who, ala the putrid Virgin Books. Moffat adds extra stuff and makes wink wink references...he doesn't tell us that the Doctor was woven from a a loom, has no genitalia, is not biologically related to Susan, and blows up planets for fun.

What I dislike about Moffat is that his storytelling is often rather one-dimensional. Some of Moffat's one-episode stories drag far more than some 6 and 7 parters from the Classic Series. And his so-called "revelations" where everyone can see it plain as day half an hour before the "big shocking secret" is revealed.

I'd like to see an older man play the Doctor, one who has more of an avuncular relationship with his companion(s). And, in all honesty, if I never see another Dalek again it will be too soon.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Usually, the anticipation for a new Doctor is a bit of fun; the difficulty started when Tennant decided to move on, but the forcing of political points of view - with all accusations of racism and sexism - onto who the new Doctor should be has made the speculation for Smith's successor quite unpleasant.

Maybe it's just a symptom of internet times, but the "no women", "no blacks" and "no white males" being spat out with equal measures of venom has been quite disturbing. This, I must point out is not a reflection of the MC but general forums around net and, it has to be said, in the press to a smaller extent.

Moffat is onto a hiding to nothing tonight - unless, or course he pulls off a master-stroke - because whoever he picks for the role he will face accusations of prejudice or sell-out. In the past, this was only the choice of actor that people complained about, now it seems to have become a human rights issue.

Seems these days the Doctor Who show-runner has got to be as thick-skinned as the England Football Manager but at least Hodgson doesn't get the sexist accusations.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Paul Hayes wrote:
Mark wrote:Peter Davison is on the special, so he may mention his story of his announcement being on the same BBC news edition as Ronald Reagan as President.

He did loads of appearances at the time, "Saturday Night At The Mill", "Blue Peter", "Pebble Mill".

One interesting aspect of this 'Special", is the BBC using a fake billing of "Celebrity Mastermind", making the Radio Times incorrect and the Special a 'phantom' programme.
Might not have been a fake billing as such - they might not have known exactly when they'd be able to announce it, so the Mastermind repeat could possibly have run.
It would make it (as suggested elsewhere) more like a "Reality" show if the last 4 actors in line for the role had to do a Dr Who themed Celebrity Mastermind to decide which one got the part :-)

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Oh Lordy, I hope not. I'm not entirely sure what they are trying to do with all this media hoopla and turning it into some sort of reality show. I have this vision of the Daleks being behind it all and harnessing all this negative energy. In fact I'm sure that will be the last scene tonight.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:One interesting aspect of this 'Special", is the BBC using a fake billing of "Celebrity Mastermind", making the Radio Times incorrect and the Special a 'phantom' programme.
Which, annoyingly, meant that I left the country on Tuesday, secure in the mistaken belief that there wasn't anything worth setting the HD recorder timer for in my absence....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Doom Patrol wrote:
Juswuh wrote:Whoever it is, the whole prospect of a "last Doctor" story arc very likely going on for all the next series is enormously depressing.
Thank you for that. I'm depressed just thinking about it. Lots of angst and story arc nonsense.
For me, making a big deal out of the twelve-regenerations business is being crushingly dumb and over-literal, because I can't believe that when it was established anybody thought it would ever have to be dealt with, that there would eventually be an actual twelfth Doctor in the show. That seemed fairly unlikely in 2004, never mind 1970. If the limited-regeneration principle was being introduced now they'd surely make it thirty, or fifty, or a hundred.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Juswuh wrote:For me, making a big deal out of the twelve-regenerations business is being crushingly dumb and over-literal, because I can't believe that when it was established anybody thought it would ever have to be dealt with, that there would eventually be an actual twelfth Doctor in the show. That seemed fairly unlikely in 2004, never mind 1970. If the limited-regeneration principle was being introduced now they'd surely make it thirty, or fifty, or a hundred.
It probably seemed more reasonable when the actors were averaging a much longer a longer "screen life" than in recent years. Notwithstanding the previous attempts to class the WH to PT transition as a "rejuvenation" rather than an accepted regeneration, I think few fans back in the 70s and 80s would have believed that some future Doctors would last a single season, let alone a single story!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

My last minute bets on the 13th Dr (assuming John Hurt is the 9th and thus the numbers are bumped up)

Kathleen Kelly (Daily Mirror seems to suggest her and she was my only reason for watching Corrie)

Hugh Laurie (because my mother's friend has seen him shopping in her village)

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

I've always thought that Eddie Izzard would make a really cool Doctor.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Peter Capaldi it is. Top banana!

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Blizzard
405 lines

Post by Blizzard »

Brilliant choice. Moving away from the youthful actors have come at just the right time. Looking forward to Peter making his mark in the Who universe.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

I would have been happy with either him or Daniel Rigby. Hopefully it's Rigby's turn next time...

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Hurrah
A Doctor who's almost as old as me.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I think Capaldi has the capacity to be excellent in the role. Really pleased with that choice.

Had to be someone well-known, they couldn't have done this kind of reveal for Matt Smith, too many people would have been thinking, "Who's he then?"
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

andrew baker wrote:Hurrah
A Doctor who's almost as old as me.
Older than me! A promising choice, even with Moffat still in situ.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Very pleased with the choice, the most excited I've been about a casting choice since Christopher Eccleston. (I did like Tennant and Smith, I hasten to add, but this is very exciting).

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Terrific actor and terrific choice.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ayrshireman wrote:Terrific actor and terrific choice.
Hear Hear!

A perfect Doctor I thought.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Punch-the-air moment for me, at the announcement ...

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Juswuh wrote:
For me, making a big deal out of the twelve-regenerations business is being crushingly dumb and over-literal, because I can't believe that when it was established anybody thought it would ever have to be dealt with, that there would eventually be an actual twelfth Doctor in the show. That seemed fairly unlikely in 2004, never mind 1970. If the limited-regeneration principle was being introduced now they'd surely make it thirty, or fifty, or a hundred.
It's easy to get round, as the High Council promised The Master a new round of regenerations, just say that it was a rule enforced by them not a physical limitation and as there are no other Time Lords to enforce it now it doesn't apply.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Well, the Doctor is pretty much bursting with energy and I don't see why he shouldn't continue until his body is finally exhausted, which might be quite a way off yet. Perhaps it's different if you're a rather sedentary Time Lord on Gallifrey with not much in the way of stimulation. But the Doctor's adventures probably get the old blood going and keep him young.

Oh, and good choice by the way.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Excellent choice in Peter Capaldi, lets hope a more mature Doctor will inspire a more mature series.

Interesting remark from Peter Davison, about the first Troughton episode, it was the same for me, as good as William Hartnell was, seeing Patrick Troughton in his baggy trousers and stove pipe hat, won me over straight away, I was sorry to see the hat go , a short while later.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Excellent choice in Capaldi. Let's hope the writing is something worthy of his abilities. Oh, and expect the papers over the next few days to be full of accusations of racism and/or sexism....
Great News Inside, Chums!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned the Hartnell pose that Capaldi did, when he walked out.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I'm not sure when the first Capaldi DW air date will be, but right now he's the same age as Hartnell was when he took on the role (55).