The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Bob Richardson
625 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Bob Richardson »

Richard A wrote:I'm not sure when the first Capaldi DW air date will be, but right now he's the same age as Hartnell was when he took on the role (55).
Delighted with the choice of Capaldi. At the previous rate of age reductions I was half expecting a foetus in a test tube.

Let's hope that Capaldi's Doctor isn't persuaded to wear a fright wig, oversized dentures and play it "whacky". Don't open the champagne just yet...
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Yes. Those are two important questions. 1)What will his "wacky quirks" be? and 2)What costume will he wear?

Of course, I still stand by my earlier comments that the casting of Capaldi, as well as these questions may be irrelevant if the writing isn't up to much.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

marsey wrote:Tom to Peter was my first regeneration, and I do remember there being quite a big build up to it. Obviously we're talking a quarter of a century ago, but I seem to remember interviews with Davidson on Saturday morning kids tv (would have been Tiswas or more likely Swap Shop - or was it midweek on Blue Peter or Newround?). Anyway, the big build up is nothing new, but the mystery new Doctor is a bit of a new one.
I'm interested in this, actually...to what extent were the the previous Doctors 'announced'? For example, did Tom Baker's debut get reported as news, or did most viewers only know about it when they saw the regeneration scene itself?

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

I wonder if this will give the Doctor a chance to reclaim his original fans? Depend son the storylines (and the companions as well of course). I really hope so.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Mike S wrote: I'm interested in this, actually...to what extent were the the previous Doctors 'announced'? For example, did Tom Baker's debut get reported as news, or did most viewers only know about it when they saw the regeneration scene itself?
Pertwee's departure was definitely a news story (as you'd expect - popular actor leaves popular TV series), at least as far as the papers were concerned, but I don't know if it got TV news coverage. William Hartnell's death a year later certainly did, but nobody's ever turned up an off-air of that bulletin.

Pertwee's departure was officially announced on 8th February 1974 and Tom Baker was introduced to the Press as the new Doctor a week later, but his first full episode didn't TX until 28th December. As mentioned previously, regenerations and the new actor playing the Doctor have never been kept secret, or only known about within fan circles - they've always been milked for as much publicity as possible.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

GarethR wrote:
Mike S wrote: I'm interested in this, actually...to what extent were the the previous Doctors 'announced'? For example, did Tom Baker's debut get reported as news, or did most viewers only know about it when they saw the regeneration scene itself?
Pertwee's departure was definitely a news story (as you'd expect - popular actor leaves popular TV series), at least as far as the papers were concerned, but I don't know if it got TV news coverage. William Hartnell's death a year later certainly did, but nobody's ever turned up an off-air of that bulletin.
Both the BBC and ITN obituaries for Hartnell do exist in audio form, however. The BBC one was going to be included on the original Three Doctors DVD release back in the day, but was left off in the end as I believe it was felt to be too much of a downer for a celebratory story.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

GarethR wrote:William Hartnell's death a year later certainly did, but nobody's ever turned up an off-air of that bulletin.
I recorded the William Hartnell BBC news bulletin on audio tape - it was extremely brief, but did include a short clip from the show. There was a fair bit of publicity when Patrick Troughton was announced - our daily paper had a photograph of him and we were all well aware that we were watching the last episode with Hartnell and that he would 'regenerate' into Troughton.
Andy Hurwitz

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Peter Capaldi is a very promising choice. I think he's the only really good choice since Jon Pertwee in 1969. Age, experience, versatility. Wonder how he'll play it.

625 lines

Is it possible that people who claim there were no reports of either Pertwee being replaced by Baker or Baker being replaced by Davison were simply too young at the time to watch the news? I was too young(ie not born) in 1966 when Hartnell became Troughton, yet I have spoken to people who were children at the time who were genuinely surprised when The Doctor changed his form. I think on one of the 2Entertain so-called "documentaries" there's a moment when one chap says he was genuinely taken aback when Pertwee became Baker. As a child one would have been likely to watch Doctor Who, but not watch the news, or read the papers. These days the kids have all their Mytweets and the like, but back then, it were simpler times.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

marsey wrote:I wonder if this will give the Doctor a chance to reclaim his original fans?...
People aged between 5 and 15, mainly boys. Yes, that would be great. I wish I could still see things from that perspective.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:Is it possible that people who claim there were no reports of either Pertwee being replaced by Baker or Baker being replaced by Davison were simply too young at the time to watch the news? I was too young(ie not born) in 1966 when Hartnell became Troughton, yet I have spoken to people who were children at the time who were genuinely surprised when The Doctor changed his form. I think on one of the 2Entertain so-called "documentaries" there's a moment when one chap says he was genuinely taken aback when Pertwee became Baker. As a child one would have been likely to watch Doctor Who, but not watch the news, were or read the papers. These days the kids have all their Mytweets and the like, but back then, it were simpler times.
Having watched Dr Who since 1963 I can say with confidence that I was always aware who the next Doctor was in advance. In 1966 Troughton was a very familiar and much liked actor. I particularly liked him as Quilp in 1963 ("Oo me liver, oo me kidneys). Even then, at the age of 10 or so, we would have been fascinated by the technology and aware of what was live, VTR, 16mm film etc. It wasn't just my household (where we we did a tape recorder and my father had recorded the sound of part of Quatermass and the Pit and I read the Quatermass scripts ata very early age) this was the sort of thing that boys of my age did talk about just as ten year old do now.

Of course I was unsure about Pertwee as he was mainly known as a comic actor, and Baker was unknown but we went to see him in the Sinbad film to see what he would be like. Peter Davison was very familiar and it was nice having a doctor not much older than me. Colin Baker appeared on TV talking about it well in advance and I even have a photo of him doing so.

Anyone who was interested would pick all these things up.

As for the papers my father would pass this sort of news on - and he also looked at The Stage. I remember taking a newspaper article into school about Gerry Anderson's new series Fireball XL5 in production and I still have a supplement from 1968 about the ITV restructuring because it has an item about the new series of The Avengers.

Peter Neill
625 lines

Post by Peter Neill »

I'm just wondering what happens when 8-year old fans google him and start watching The Thick of It on YouTube.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Peter Neill wrote:I'm just wondering what happens when 8-year old fans google him and start watching The Thick of It on YouTube.
They become Chris Langham fans.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

andrew baker wrote:
Having watched Dr Who since 1963 I can say with confidence that I was always aware who the next Doctor was in advance.

Anyone who was interested would pick all these things up.
"Doctor Who" started in 1963 just a few weeks before my 9th birthday, so I have a clear recollection of that first episode, and its repeat a week later. Hartnell's departure came as a bolt from the blue. I had no idea, nor did my school chums, that Troughton was about to step into Billy's shoes, and I was really miffed when this Beatle-haired, lumpen creature in ill-fitting clothes sat up and claimed to be the Doctor. We had two newspapers at home - the "Daily Mirror" and the Newcastle "Evening Chronicle". I flicked through both occasionally, but certainly didn't read any advance publicity about the regeneration, so I was mightily pissed off when it happened.

I warmed to Patrick T very quickly, and was sorry to see him turn into Pertwee, although by then I knew what was coming, so it wasn't such a shock.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

The Pertwee/ Baker change made the front of the Evening Standard, partly I suppose because the programme was now so much a part of the telly landscape and Pertwee had been such a hit, but also because of the fact that Tom was an unknown and working on a building site which gave the press a nice angle on it.

The Baker/ Davison change was hugely publicized I remember, because Baker leaving was itself big news after such a long run. What's more Davison was probably a bigger telly star at that time than any of his predecessors had been, very much flavour of the month.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

andrew baker wrote: Anyone who was interested would pick all these things up.
But that was my original concern about the published reveal of the new Doctor and my own memories of not knowing that Baker was going to turn into Davison until it happened. Unless my Dad had seen it or read it in the paper and reported it to me, which was unlikely as he had no interest in such things, I can't remember a big Who-vian fan club at school, we all watched it but not to excessive fandom levels. In fact, I have a feeling that 'Blake's 7' was the must watch Sci-Fi with my friends at the time and got most discussion.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and it is dangerous to guess what I did or did not know at the age of 12, but I still remember the regeneration sequence coming as quite a shock and also the 'long wait' until the next series started. It is likely that even if I did know that a new actor was to take over the role, at the age of 12 I didn't fully understand what this entailed assuming that Tom Baker was DW regardless and at the age of 12 realising that he was played by an 'actor' (if you know what I mean...)

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Clive wrote: Of course, I could be completely wrong and it is dangerous to guess what I did or did not know at the age of 12, but I still remember the regeneration sequence coming as quite a shock
I was 10, and I was fully aware of what was going to happen from the moment that Baker's departure was announced. There was so much publicity surrounding it, publicity that only built as the time approached, that it was pretty much impossible to avoid. I remember having playground discussions about how we thought the regeneration was going to happen, and I had very mixed feelings about Davison's photocall where his costume was unveiled and he gave his views about how he intended to play the role, because I misunderstood what he meant about making the Doctor "more vulnerable".

Richard F
405 lines

Post by Richard F »

GarethR wrote:

Pertwee's departure was officially announced on 8th February 1974 and Tom Baker was introduced to the Press as the new Doctor a week later, but his first full episode didn't TX until 28th December. As mentioned previously, regenerations and the new actor playing the Doctor have never been kept secret, or only known about within fan circles - they've always been milked for as much publicity as possible.
Just to confirm - I remember Pertwee's departure being announced in an item on the BBC Nine O'Clock News. Then Baker's exit continued the tradition and Davison similarly. After that things got messy with the hiatus/cancellation being the news story rather than actor as such. But I don't think the successor has ever been announced simultaneously.

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

Is Davison the only actor to be announced as the Doctor two years before his first full episode was shown? In fact month-wise it's barely over a year, but it was late 1980 that he was announced and January 1982 that Part 1 of Castrovalva was shown. Waiting that long now would surely be unthinkable.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Er what about matt smith? Announced first week of jan 2009 with the eleventh hour being shown over 14 months later

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

That's only 2009-2010 (rather than 1980-1981-1982) but similar time-frame, yes. I was just thinking about years, and how different people seem to choose 1981 or 1982 as Davison's starting year.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

I think you should give up whilst the goings good as I've never heard anyone refer to there being "years" between Davisons casting and his debut. Of course originally it was expected that his debut would be in September 1981 whereas for Matt Smith it was always going to be Easter 2010.

625 lines

Is there any word on which former Doctors will be appearing in the 50th Anniversary Special? According to one soruce Mcgann will be appearing in a brief sequence just so we can see his can regeneration into Hurt! I wouldn't put that past Moffat, although if true it will no doubt thrill millions! Maybe they can get Eccleston in just to lie "unconscious" for a few seconds, wearing Hurt's outfit, ala Tom Baker in Planet of the Spiders 6.

Speaking of which, if End of Time was anything to go by, we'll get a good look at what sort of Doctor Capaldi is at the end of the Christmas special.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Is Tom Baker likely to try and spoil the 50th 'do', like he did for the 20th?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

brigham wrote:Is Tom Baker likely to try and spoil the 50th 'do', like he did for the 20th?
An interesting interpretation....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

GarethR wrote: As mentioned previously, regenerations and the new actor playing the Doctor have never been kept secret, or only known about within fan circles - they've always been milked for as much publicity as possible.
I'm not sure that was true of the Hartnell/Troughton changeover. The publicity was there, but according to Kim Newman's book on the show in the bfi classics series, it was very muted. Both Newman and other sources have said that the BBC milked the first Troughton story as featuring the return of the Daleks rather than that of a new actor playing the Doctor.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The return of the Daleks was to try and keep interest levels high, despite the change of lead actor. There was a very real concern at the time that the viewers simply wouldn't wear it; it was, after all a new concept.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
brigham wrote:Is Tom Baker likely to try and spoil the 50th 'do', like he did for the 20th?
An interesting interpretation....
That made me laugh. (Nick's response I mean!)

Richard Bignell
405 lines

Post by Richard Bignell »

ctraynor wrote:I'm not sure that was true of the Hartnell/Troughton changeover. The publicity was there, but according to Kim Newman's book on the show in the bfi classics series, it was very muted. Both Newman and other sources have said that the BBC milked the first Troughton story as featuring the return of the Daleks rather than that of a new actor playing the Doctor.
Hartnell's leaving and Troughton's introduction were both pretty well covered by the national newspapers, with Troughton's first appearance as the Doctor making the main splash on the cover of The Mirror on the day that the first episode of The Power of the Daleks was transmitted.

Here's a few of the clippings.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Richard Bignell wrote:
ctraynor wrote:I'm not sure that was true of the Hartnell/Troughton changeover. The publicity was there, but according to Kim Newman's book on the show in the bfi classics series, it was very muted. Both Newman and other sources have said that the BBC milked the first Troughton story as featuring the return of the Daleks rather than that of a new actor playing the Doctor.
Hartnell's leaving and Troughton's introduction were both pretty well covered by the national newspapers, with Troughton's first appearance as the Doctor making the main splash on the cover of The Mirror on the day that the first episode of The Power of the Daleks was transmitted.
g]
The Hartnell clippings say they are looking for a new actor to look as much like him as possible. I wonder when they invented regeneration? Geoffrey Bayldon told me around 1980 that he was asked to play it exactly like Hartnell and that because he decided he didn't want to play old men they invented the idea of regeneration.I am sure this is true.
Bayldon, of course, went on to play Catweazle,