The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

What's currently on the box
Doom Patrol
625 lines

Re: The All-Purpose Current Doctor Who (2005-) Thread

Post by Doom Patrol »

brigham wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:I must admit I find it quite amusing that people are raving about Paul McGann when it's supposed to be eleven's show.
To be fair, McGann didn't get much of a chance, did he?
I do agree, and would go so far as to say he stole a little bit of eleven's thunder. I'm not sure if his reception caught them off guard or what, but I would have thought it must have raised eyebrows. Well, the thought of it amuses me anyway. The thing is it shouldn't surprise anyone. He makes Matt Smith seem like a little boy playing at grown ups.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

When are the showing the second mini episode "The Last Day"? I wonder if that has a similar surprise? It's listed as an extra on the DVD

mikew
405 lines

Post by mikew »

Apparently it's now available to BUY on iTunes but (according to DWNews) free if you're in the USA:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/11/th ... 03008.html

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

It's free on I-Tunes in the UK too and the fee was an error on the part of I-Tunes.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

mikew wrote:Apparently it's now available to BUY on iTunes but (according to DWNews) free if you're in the USA:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/11/th ... 03008.html
It's quite interesting. I won't post any spoilers here.

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

I can watch short preview but not the full episode as it is marked as "Series Only" access. I don't use don't use itunes for video so I may have the wrong end of the stick, but it seems to suggest I'd need to purchase the series to view it for free?!?!?
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Anyone see the much hyped 50th Anniversary show tonight?

I found it one of those shows all the family start watching, then they start talking amongst themselves and the TV remains chattering to itself ignored. I suppose a few flash,bang wallops interspersed with total sound bite bollocks was perhaps a better alternative wallpaper to Xfactor?
Can't also see how a 'world audience' appreciated it too as it was too up its own arse about England?

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

fatcat wrote:Anyone see the much hyped 50th Anniversary show tonight?

I found it one of those shows all the family start watching, then they start talking amongst themselves and the TV remains chattering to itself ignored. I suppose a few flash,bang wallops interspersed with total sound bite bollocks was perhaps a better alternative wallpaper to Xfactor?
Can't also see how a 'world audience' appreciated it too as it was too up its own arse about England?

Yes, I did.

Not as good/great as it could have been, but overall I did enjoy it.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Well I loved it. I thought it was great fun. Loved the interaction between the Doctors, and I love that they saved Gallifrey. A nice series of nods to the Doctors past, and a quick glimpse of Doctor future. Enjoyed the nods to the fans too, with Hurt's irritation over the other's pointing their screwdrivers like weapons, and his grumbling about their youth and tendency to babble. And the kissing.

And then "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot" to follow, with everybody having so much fun. Davison, Baker mk II and McCoy ought to have their own series.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

My wife has zero tolerance for OldWho, but she'll happily watch NuWho. Unfortunately, she rapidly lost interest in The Day of the Doctor, and I have to say I found my attention wandering for all but the last 10 minutes or so.

The real highlight of the 50th anniversary for me has been The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot. Genuinely laugh-out-loud funny and a much better birthday present.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

I thought it was quite good. Fun nods to the past. An enjoyable if not exactly great story. If it had just been an episode(or a 2-parter) it would have been wonderful. However after all the hype and promotion, it was somewhat anti-climactic. Also, I've never liked the whole idea of turning someone else's whole era inside out. Davies if far from my favourite "showrunner"(an understatement), but this basically makes his entire run(especially Eccleston's year) into something else entirely different to what was made at the time. And I have to add this: After the "revelation". my only thought was 'Hasn't Moffat seen The End Of Time'?
Great News Inside, Chums!

625 lines

So how long until we get the "Season 18B" novel? :-)

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

A great deal better than I was expecting; the interplay between the three Doctors was genuinely fun. There was also very little of the last couple of years' most tedious elements - no River Song, no Madame Vastra and Co., not much Clara - though that renders The Name of the Doctor totally pointless as a prelude, in addition to being awful in its own right.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:I thought it was quite good. Fun nods to the past. An enjoyable if not exactly great story. If it had just been an episode(or a 2-parter) it would have been wonderful. However after all the hype and promotion, it was somewhat anti-climactic. Also, I've never liked the whole idea of turning someone else's whole era inside out. Davies if far from my favourite "showrunner"(an understatement), but this basically makes his entire run(especially Eccleston's year) into something else entirely different to what was made at the time. And I have to add this: After the "revelation". my only thought was 'Hasn't Moffat seen The End Of Time'?
I think that is the main problem- the hype- both the irritating promos and the internal hype within the episode itself in which in almost every show Who faces the biggest thing in the universe etc.Perhaps if it went back to its format of quietly filling a slot on Saturday with a story (like Merlin & Hercules)- instead of disjointed visual set pieces intercut with smiles from Jenna Coleman then I might warm to it.

Irongiant
405 lines

Post by Irongiant »

I agree - loved that, such a lot of fun. While I found 'The Day of the Doctor' to be a bit of a mixed bag, I thought 'The Five(ish) Doctors' was much better. To those who haven't seen it, please give it a go. :)

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

fatcat wrote: disjointed visual set pieces intercut with smiles from Jenna Coleman
"Smirks" would be my word. Her accent took a couple of very audible lurches northwards last night, too.

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

Well i thought both were excellent! The Day of the Doctor and The Five(ish) Doctors! And wasn't it great that Delia Derbyshire was given a credit on Day of the Doctor!!

625 lines

A couple of days later, and something else hit me.

Doctor Who's appeal has always been that there's a mystery(or a sense of mystery). In the beginning it was literally "Doctor Who?" After six years they told us he was a Time Lord, and why he left. Then we had to see his people, then learn his planet's name, learn about who created Time Lord culture, and of course see Gallifrey itself(and it was a bit crap). So then we were given the Guardians, then they were watered-down. Cartmel tried to add mystery back, only to serve up slop. The Virgin Novels went out of their way to demystify and pigeonhole everything and everyone. Leekley's proposed bible may have been shit, but at least it would have added a sense of mystery again. The Big Finish Audios had the whole sense of what saving Charley would mean. Then they told us exactly, and tied it up with a bow. Davies' one positive contribution was in starting the Nu Series after the Last Great Time War was over. We don't see the regeneration(singular at the time). And Big Finish were explicitly not allowed to feature Mcgann in any Time War stories. It added a sense of wonder. Davies himself stated that the Time War works much better in one's imagination than on BBC television. Now, Moffat has shown the regenerations from Mcgann to Hurt and from Hurt to Eccleston. He's shown us what was supposedly the height of the Time War(and sorry, but that Fall Of Arcadia looked rubbish). Once again he's totally removed the mystery. Again, Doctor Who's appeal has always relied on a mystery, and I'm sure everyone here has discussed things at length "is it a or is it b?" However, Moffat(like many of the Virgin authors) is determined to show and explain everything. While this no doubt thrills some, for me it kills off a huge part of what Doctor Who actually IS.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:He's shown us what was supposedly the height of the Time War(and sorry, but that Fall Of Arcadia looked rubbish)
I don't think it looked rubbish, but I *did* think it looked like a generic space battle rather than a universe-spanning war in which "every moment of time and space is burning", or whatever Smith said. Mind you, that'd've been a fair bit more expensive to realise.
Doctor Who's appeal has always relied on a mystery
Has it? For most of the period when I became a fan and watched it religiously (mid-70s to late 80s), there wasn't really much mystery about the Doctor, and there didn't need to be. When Cartmel started adding in all the "dark Doctor" stuff, I found that more annoying than compelling. Mind you, I could just as easily say that about the whole McCoy era.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

When I was growing up the appeal of the show was that you never knew where the TARDIS was going to materialize as The Doctor could not control it, as a result we got new adventures all the time. Although it has never been mentioned, that the directional
control of the TARDIS seems to have been fixed. The series idea of traveling at random seemed to have been quietly disposed of ages ago.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I nearly abandoned the series during the McCoy era. By this time the series had become a campy pantomime parody of itself.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

videoking wrote:When I was growing up the appeal of the show was that you never knew where the TARDIS was going to materialize as The Doctor could not control it, as a result we got new adventures all the time. Although it has never been mentioned, that the directional
control of the TARDIS seems to have been fixed. The series idea of traveling at random seemed to have been quietly disposed of ages ago.
At the end of The Three Doctors, wasn't it? Or at least some time in season 10 once the Time Lords allowed him to head off from Earth again.
simon10011 wrote:Well i thought both were excellent! The Day of the Doctor and The Five(ish) Doctors! And wasn't it great that Delia Derbyshire was given a credit on Day of the Doctor!!
Yes, I liked that. Has she been credited before on the TV show?

I liked An Adventure in Time and Space, and The Day of the Doctor. Would have been nice to have some small explanation of how the Tardises could make Gallifrey vanish but I was still glad the Time Lords were saved. I always thought that would be a plot turn at some stage in Nu-Who.
videoking wrote:I nearly abandoned the series during the McCoy era. By this time the series had become a campy pantomime parody of itself.
I thought that from somewhere in the Tom Baker period. In fact, it began with Robot, his first story. Check it out some time. Ark in Space and Genesis of the Daleks hauled the show back up. Then it was sporadically down again as far as I was concerned.

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

It does take it back to the beginning as I believe there was an idea that the Doctor was searching for his home in the original concept.

Seeing it again it is clear that Tom Baker is a future doctor - he says he may revisit old faces in the future - old favourites. So this assumes that there can be any number of regenerations.

The idea there could only be 12 is just a plot point in Mawdryn Undead and is best just forgotten,

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

videoking wrote:I nearly abandoned the series during the McCoy era. By this time the series had become a campy pantomime parody of itself.
The last two years of McCoy were very rich in ideas. It was worth living through the first year to get to some of the best Whos of all. Ghost Light is fabulously fruity. You could write an academic book about it.

Similarly Tom Baker started silly but by the second year it was building up a following amongst students and older people foe its witty references and adult aspects,

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

andrew baker wrote:Seeing it again it is clear that Tom Baker is a future doctor - he says he may revisit old faces in the future - old favourites. So this assumes that there can be any number of regenerations.

The idea there could only be 12 is just a plot point in Mawdryn Undead and is best just forgotten,
I didn't think that was what Tom Baker said at all, not that it really matters. He's presumably a Time Crashed Fourth.

As for the regeneration limit, it's a lot more than "Mawdryn Undead"! The limit was introduced in "The Deadly Assassin", and played quite a large part in the latter Tom Baker era, since it referred specifically to the Master, who had run out of regenerations. Hence him being reduced to a skeletal form, going on the rampage, etc, and eventually stealing the body of Nyssa's father in "Logopolis". That's a fairly extensive plot line, and not really something that can be just forgotten. It is easily got around, since it hasn't been mentioned since the revamp. It might well have been over-ridden for the purposes of the Time War; or the elixir that the Doctor was given to turn him into the War Doctor might have done something to him; or finding Gallifrey again might open new possibilities. Anything like that would be better than just sweeping it under the carpet.

And the mystery business. Well, we don't know the Doctor's name, we don't know really know who he is, or about his family. He had children - are they still alive? Did/does he have a wife? Why did he take Susan with him when he left Gallifrey? Why exactly did they leave in a stolen TARDIS? We don't really know any more about him than we did in Hartnell's day, at least if you ignore the Virgin New Adventures. I certainly agree that they tried to explain far too much.

625 lines

andrew baker wrote:[

The last two years of McCoy were very rich in ideas. It was worth living through the first year to get to some of the best Whos of all.
Can't agree with this at all. Seasons 25 and 26 are the absolute nadir of Doctor Who. Absolutely awful. It's all about them trying to show how clever they are because they're not doing Doctor Who like it was for the first 23 Seasons. However, it's easy to tear down and malign something that somebody else has made. It's something else entirely to build something worthwhile in its place. All that era gave us was hollow Marxism, a 20-something RADA graduate trying to play a working-class teenaged girl, big explosions and some codswallop about how Doctor Who ties into Arthurian legend and/or Norse mythology. Oh, and token "political correctness" that is more offensive than actual racist stuff.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

I liked the added dark mystery that was written into The Doctor's character towards the end of the McCoy era. There were a few good stories such as Battlefield and Remembrance of the Daleks but on the whole, due to no fault of Sylvester McCoy, the stories were utter crap.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

andrew baker wrote: The last two years of McCoy were very rich in ideas
Having read Cartmel's book about his time on the show I can now appreciate what he was *trying* to do, but the execution of those stories is still largely bloody awful. Low-budget sci-fi shot entirely on overlit video that unforgivingly highlights just how cheap the props and sets are, coupled with non-naturalistic stagey performances... no thanks. If they'd had the best scripts in the world (and they didn't), they'd still have struggled to overcome the limitations of the budget, the actors and the directors.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

That's the impression I got from the few episodes I caught in that era. Remembrance of the Daleks made an effort, though George Sewell's acting could have been a bit less hammy, but Battlefield was naff.