Talking Pictures - more 'No Hiding Place' episodes

What's currently on the box
ozsat
625 lines

Talking Pictures - more 'No Hiding Place' episodes

Post by ozsat »

Talking Pictures announce: We are also delighted to announce that we have recovered two more lost episodes of the series 'No Hiding Place', consisting of the episode 'A Pocketful of Bones' airing Thursday the 20th of August at 1pm and 'Whoever's Right, Sweeney's Wrong' airing Monday the 31st of August at 7pm.

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Talking Pictures - more 'No Hiding Place' episodes

Post by fatcat »

Great news.
I hope the public give TP a bit of space to do their thing as they have achieved what nobody else has in finding unseen material and actually getting NHP back on TV.

The trouble is as the old saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished" TP will probably be bombarded with requests on why this or that is not being shown .. or why say a 10 second shot missing from No Hiding Place blah blah.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The first of those two is from series 4, and the second is the first episode of series 7 from 65, the same run as "Music For Murder" shown the other week.

Great news, looking forward to these.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Got to see "A Pocketfull of Bones", very good indeed, and another great cast, although I thought "Music For Murder" was a better episode.

There were film jumps in a couple of places, but good quality otherwise, some nice snow covered filmed exteriors, quite a strong storyline for the time as well.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

With that first talk on the recovered body it could almost have been an episode of "Quincy ME".

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Brian F wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am
With that first talk on the recovered body it could almost have been an episode of "Quincy ME".
Ah well Rediffusion had something for you there called The Hidden Truth same era but apparently no episodes exist.

A Pocket full of Bones I thought flowed along very nicely with a reminder of the long winters we use to have, when directors didn't have to worry if they filmed snow on one day it would be gone the next day.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:42 am
Brian F wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:47 am
Ah well Rediffusion had something for you there called The Hidden Truth same era but apparently no episodes exist.

A Pocket full of Bones I thought flowed along very nicely with a reminder of the long winters we use to have, when directors didn't have to worry if they filmed snow on one day it would be gone the next day.
Always interesting to spot shows made at the same time with the same weather, the LWT "Tommy Cooper" series and episodes of "On The Buses" both feature plenty of fallen snow, as do episodes of "A Fine Romance" and the "Who" serial, "Time-Flight" from early 1982.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Monday night's third episode of "No Hiding Place" was another entertaining one, another tough storyline, the cast included John Dearth.

Some more jumps in the print in a couple of places, but otherwise fine, some nicely done location filming on this one too.

Of the three, "Music For Murder" is still the best one for me.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The jumps were at the start and just before an advert break. I would suspect damage when the collector was projecting (bad threading of the projector at the start snapping the film and cement splices which lose at least one frame).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:23 am
The jumps were at the start and just before an advert break. I would suspect damage when the collector was projecting (bad threading of the projector at the start snapping the film and cement splices which lose at least one frame).
The second set of jumps were the worst, in the scene on location in the car, a few lost words there.

I presume there is some sort of check on the prints before they are transferred.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Presumably the only prints in existence for those episodes, so should we expect too much ?

Probably some old boy ran them on his old projector and kept them in his loft for 50 odd years, he could have chucked them in the bin at any time and we would have never seen them.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

True enough, I suppose there is likely to be some damage from collectors prints for the reasons you mention.

I was re-reading a 1974 TV Times interview with Clive Francis ( related to "New Scotland Yard") he mentions being 11 years old and going off to bed because he thought the first episode of "Murder Bag" was over when 'End Of Part One' came up.

He also mentions that LWT were thinking of bringing his dad into "New Scotland Yard", in the odd episode as a high ranking officer, but weren't sure if it would be a good move to 'Bring back the character'.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

As there are no off air sound recordings the audio over jumps can't be fixed as with spliced Dr Who prints and the missing frames interpolated, unfortunately.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

You would think there would be some Audios around, right period.

Would be nice to know what scripts remain, and there must be a lot of photos from various episodes, there are one or two on-line, and some rehearsal shots from Getty Images.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

They have found another one!

Good ol' TPTV, the box set is getting bigger"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:00 am
They have found another one!

Good ol' TPTV, the box set is getting bigger"
Great! thanks to TP they are on the screen again, makes you wonder what the heck the BFI intends to do with the ones it has, which have been sitting on the shelves for 50+ years.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Hopefully, a box set eventually!

Four episodes within a year, from two sources, there are obviously more A-R shows in private hands.