Oldest TV advert still running?

What's currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Oldest TV advert still running?

Post by paul.austin »

"Mistletoe" still ran every Christmas until the Yellow Pages went all-digital* a few years ago.

(*): If a print newspaper or magazine goes all-internet, is it still a newspaper or magazine? Or, is it just another website?

stearn
Committee

Re: Oldest TV advert still running?

Post by stearn »

I don't watch much TV nowadays have a stock of DVDs still to wade through, but two spring to mind. Jif Lemon juice - 'Don't forget the pancakes on Jif Lemon day'. That was running when I was a kid, and I am sure was being wheeled out in the last decade.

The other is a bit of a cheat as it was slightly reshot - R Whites Lemonade. An iconic advert when I was a kid and well remembered enough to crop up from time to time on other shows 'remembering' a year/decade etc. The tag was the man who had got up in the night for a glass of lemonade was creeping back to bed only to find his wife blocking the way. The later version certainly had Ronnie Corbett as the wife, and I have a vague memory that there was at least another variation. I haven't seen R Whites fizzy drinks for ages!

[edit] A quick trip to google later and it would appear the original was from 1973. The wife is behind the fridge door as he closes it and fills her glass with lemonade, not quite as I remembered. The reboot was in 1992 and it was completely reshot, albeit to look like an 19702 film recording. Ronnie did indeed play the part of the wife (with some wonderful business with the glasses at the end) as did John McEnroe. Search 'Secret Lemonade Drinker'

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

The R Whites ads needed to be reshot to be reused as the packaging had changed. Although there were earlier evolutions such as the 'rock band' variant which also had Elvis Costello in it.

Shake n Vac is another example where its complete naffness prolonged its life, including variations sending itself up with the leather-clad bikers etc. Plus the revival '30th anniversary' versions in 2010.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Was it ever confirmed that Robbie Williams was the boy in the Mistletoe ad?

Christmas was a time where companies (that didn't normally advertise throughout the year) ran their old ads again and again.

it was like welcoming back an old friend LOL.

From memory the rather spooky Sandeman Port, Rolf Harris Stylophone, Cointreau, Chanel and of course the ambassador's favourite chocolate Ferrero Rocher.

I seem to recall they rerun the Andrex chasing the dog with the toilet paper ad (circa 1970) on some sort of anniversary,
of course in 2020 that poor dog would have been shot LOL.

How far we have come eh...they use to ask "is she wearing Harmony hairspray" now they ask "is she wearing incontinence pads"

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Harrods. Not an exciting ad, but used year in year out at Christmas to flag up their New Year sale.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I'm sure it has been re-shot, but the Coco Cola "Holidays are coming" advert must have clocked up a good few years.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

stearn wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:05 am
I don't watch much TV nowadays have a stock of DVDs still to wade through, but two spring to mind. Jif Lemon juice - 'Don't forget the pancakes on Jif Lemon day'. That was running when I was a kid, and I am sure was being wheeled out in the last decade.

The other is a bit of a cheat as it was slightly reshot - R Whites Lemonade. An iconic advert when I was a kid and well remembered enough to crop up from time to time on other shows 'remembering' a year/decade etc. The tag was the man who had got up in the night for a glass of lemonade was creeping back to bed only to find his wife blocking the way. The later version certainly had Ronnie Corbett as the wife, and I have a vague memory that there was at least another variation. I haven't seen R Whites fizzy drinks for ages!

[edit] A quick trip to google later and it would appear the original was from 1973. The wife is behind the fridge door as he closes it and fills her glass with lemonade, not quite as I remembered. The reboot was in 1992 and it was completely reshot, albeit to look like an 19702 film recording. Ronnie did indeed play the part of the wife (with some wonderful business with the glasses at the end) as did John McEnroe. Search 'Secret Lemonade Drinker'
I have a vague recollection that another variation on the 'wife' was the shop keeper from Mr Benn.

An advert that re-surfaced a few years ago, after a gap of a couple of decades, was for Kit-Kat where a photographer is trying to capture a picture of a panda in it's zoo enclosure, but having no luck. He turns his back to 'have a break' and the panda appears doing various tricks. The original Rowntree's logo was replaced by Nestle's logo.

What struck me about this was that the original advert was from the 1980s (obv. predates Nestle's takeover of Rowntree in 1988) and therefore in 5:4 resolution; but this was being shown in widescreen. The blown-up picture looked terrible.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

There was an odd mash-up of R Whites and Mr Benn on YouTube, but it didn't appear to be a complete advert. Perhaps someone had tried to recreate it. It's funny, although I could remember Ronnie C, I pictured Ronnie B as the alternative. Presumably I was conflating their appearance in The Worm That Turned on the Two Ronnies. John McEnroe was a surprise when I saw it.

Thanks for the reminder of the Kit-Kat Panda shoot.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm sure I didn't imagine this, but a year or so ago, Hovis dug up one of theirs, and I noticed Bill Maynard in it!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

i love that the boy in "Mistletoe" has talked to the Guardian in 2014 but whoever his "girlfriend" was in the advert has kept herself hidden.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:25 am
Was it ever confirmed that Robbie Williams was the boy in the Mistletoe ad?
We can definitely file that one under "urban myth" - Robbie would have been 18 when the ad first aired in 1992...

Turns out it was one Dean Cook:https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/51858 ... hild-star/

Matty
405 lines

Post by Matty »

If I can widen the remit of this thread, I remember the Atora suet advert - with the jingle "Atora - You're getting warmer!", which I think dates from the early 70's - was shown throughout the 70's and 80's, and perhaps even nudged the 90's - it certainly ran for absolutely donkeys years - I honestly can't think of any other advert that ran as long.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I remember one of the old Fry’s Turkish Delight ads suddenly reappearing, bizarrely, in the 90s, and looking in pretty poor shape and totally out of place.