"The Sound of TV"

What's currently on the box
AndrewP
625 lines

"The Sound of TV"

Post by AndrewP »

Just watched the first episode on BBC Four and I think it's one of my favourite shows of the year. An awful lot crammed very deftly into a single hour and covering so many of the tunes that are still very dear to me. And all conveyed with affection and understanding.

Well worth a look if TV music is of particular interest to you:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pz1d

If you do take a look, I *really* hope you enjoy it.

All the best

Andrew

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Re: "The Sound of TV"

Post by Private Frazer »

The bit about Delia Derbyshire working on the Doctor Who theme tune was particularly interesting. The programme also makes a good medley of some of the best TV theme tunes
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was excellent, all the Astley stuff and Grainer, and even the Library music, great to know there are big collections of it.

I knew what the reaction was to the "Bagpuss" music played in concert before it was answered, of course there were tears, it's so emotive, the TV music of years gone by.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

No sooner had I mentioned the name Reg Wale to my wife, they started talking about him. It made me feel quite smug for a couple of seconds, until I looked over and realised she'd fallen asleep. I knew they'd be sure to play his track Fruity Flutes.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ha...nice one...that always happens doesn't it!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The second one was interesting on Commercials and Idents, still prefer the spinning globe though.

Surprised they are not doing one on Incidental music, would have been great.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

The third episode is described as being about television scores (documentaries like Life on Earth were mentioned); pretty much incidental music.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes, you're right, they did, mention of Orchestral music, hopefully more than just Doc's though.