No way...Wentworth?

What's currently on the box
jubbely
405 lines

No way...Wentworth?

Post by jubbely »

I cannot believe i only just found out about this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_(TV_series)

it can't be true can it?

bagsie Top Dog on the press!

FuzEE
405 lines

Re: No way...Wentworth?

Post by FuzEE »

for some reason, that wiki link's not right....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_%28TV_series%29

It seems true enough - premieres in May.
be interesting to at least watch the first ep to see how they 're-imagine' it.

Fuz

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

If you do a Youtube search for "Prisoner Theme Old & New" then I think it gives a pretty good idea of how they are going to tackle it... Basically 'Bad girls' as far as I can tell...

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

I was hoping to see Patsy King do her legendary 'telephone acting' with an iPhone.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Clive wrote:If you do a Youtube search for "Prisoner Theme Old & New" then I think it gives a pretty good idea of how they are going to tackle it...
Aaaggh, that is a textbook example of the 'Get rid of the catchy tune and make it really bland' attitude to sig-tune revamps.

Ironically, there are few title sequences more modernist and cool than the original Prisoner ones. Wonder if those will stay?

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

Actually, I could have been wrong about that YT clip, it seems to be a trailer for a channel running the original series...

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

Yes, the YT clip is unrelated. That's a cover version and, as you say, trailing a rerun of proper series.

These links are more useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnKFXxjmb8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJvt75gLjKE

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

Who would be most likely to buy the show for the UK market. Sky or one of the terrestrial channels?

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

plasticomo wrote:Who would be most likely to buy the show for the UK market. Sky or one of the terrestrial channels?
Five maybe? They showed the original series when they first started. They also recently bought the new Dallas.

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

Michael wrote:
plasticomo wrote:Who would be most likely to buy the show for the UK market. Sky or one of the terrestrial channels?
Five maybe? They showed the original series when they first started. They also recently bought the new Dallas.

Looks like you're right:

Broadcast FremantleMedia sells Wentworth to UK by: Darren Davidson From: The Australian April 30, 2013 12:15PM

FREMANTLEMEDIA Australia is making good on its promise to "get back into drama", after selling its remake of cult soap opera Prisoner to British broadcaster Channel 5 before its airs locally on Foxtel.
The new series - called Wentworth - was sold to Channel 5 after being showcased at this month's international TV marketplace MIPTV in France.

The origins of Wentworth will be familiar to British television viewers after Prisoner became cult viewing on commercial broadcaster ITV in the early 80s, where it was known as Prisoner Cell Block H.

The original series was given a new lease of life in Britain when Channel 5 began airing Prisoner Cell Block H shortly after the broadcaster's launch in 1997.

It is understood Fremantle is in talks with other markets including Germany.

FremantleMedia Australia director of drama and Wentworth executive producer Jo Porter said she was "excited" to continue the "tradition of exporting Australian television criminals back to the UK".

..."We are very proud of the production and the bold direction of the new series which showcases Australia's best talent," Ms Porter said.

Wentworth spans 10 one-hour episodes and takes viewers to the violent and dangerous Wentworth Correctional Centre. Leads characters are played by Underbelly's Danielle Cormack and Rush's Nicole da Silva.

The series will premiere on Foxtel's SoHo channel tomorrow and has also been sold to TVNZ in New Zealand.

Fremantle Australia & Asia Pacific chief executive Ian Hogg told The Australian in January that the company "wanted to get back into drama" and return the production house to its halcyon days of the 1970s and 80s, when Reg Grundy's production house churned out hit after hit, including Sons and Daughters and Prisoner.

"Neighbours is now 28 years young and I certainly didn't feel like we leveraged off that success outside of the 70s and 80s," Mr Hogg said.

Fremantle was formed in 2006 from the merger of Crackerjack and Grundy.