The Saint

What's currently on the box
Ian Dickerson
405 lines

The Saint

Post by Ian Dickerson »

More from deadline.com

Buffy The Vampire Slayer alumna Eliza Dushku is set to co-star opposite Adam Rayner in The Saint, a backdoor pilot from Brad Krevoy’s film and TV production company MPCA. No network has been attached. Simon West is directing the pilot from a script by Jesse Alexander. Alexander is set as showrunner of the project, a new take on Leslie Charteris’ The Saint 70-book franchise. It will follow the exploits of Simon Templar (Rayner), a brilliant criminal who uses his considerable illicit skills as a modern-day Robin Hood as he infuriates local law enforcement and woos Patricia Holm (Dushku), his on-again, off-again romance.

Roger Moore, who played Templar in Lew Grade’s popular 1962 Saint British TV series, has joined as a co-producer along with with his son Geoffrey Moore, Lulu Moore, and Louisa Macdonald. Author Ian Dickerson, an expert on the history of Charteris’ creation, will serve as a creative consultant. Krevoy, Alexander, and Roman Viaris will executive produce and have teamed with Silverscreen Pictures in Los Angeles and Canadian producer Fred Fuchs to start production on Friday in Los Angeles, Toronto, and London. The backdoor pilot is being cast by Mandy Sherman and Sari Knight of Sherman/Knight casting (Lost). MPCA’s TV division is backing the project through independent financing, with the company’s Francisco J. González handling international sales and Michael MacDermott handling product placement. The Saint has been adapted to 15 feature films, most recently in 1997 by Paramount with Val Kilmer in the lead.

Dushku, who also toplined the cult Fox drama Dollhouse, is repped by The Collective, UTA and attorney Ryan Levine. The Saint is repped by CAA, the Charteris estate is repped by attorney David Wardlow.

Mickey
625 lines

Re: The Saint

Post by Mickey »

Eliza Dushku? Very cool.

Actually, there's a thought. Her old co-star in "Angel", Alexis Denisof, would be absolutely perfect casting for the Saint. Although I'm sure your guy is good too! ;)

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Is this to be contemporary or a period piece?

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Post by Mark C Bale »

Sir Roger was involved in the Val Kilmer SAINT movie too wasn't he.

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

Doom Patrol wrote:Is this to be contemporary or a period piece?
Contemporary. We're having a hard enough time interesting networks in this. We got absolutely zero interest from anyone for a period piece.

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

Mark C Bale wrote:Sir Roger was involved in the Val Kilmer SAINT movie too wasn't he.
Only doing a VO at the end. He didn't have an active role in the production.

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

First look at the new Saint and Patricia Holm now up at www.simontemplar.tv

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

A nice vintage look for Patricia there. I'm very pleased she's being included in this version. That doesn't look like the Saint to me, though. Still, we'll see!

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

will this new effort retain any of the ITC series tradmarks, the halo moment, ST1 white volvo/jag and of course the theme music? hope so.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Oh I think he does look the part a bit. It's a terrific character and I hope it does well.

I was actually about to start a thread about Return of the Saint here. It's a show I remember watching as a child (I was always disappointed that the white lined figure in the titles wasn't in the show itself!) but haven't seen since 1979. What do fans of The Saint think of it? Always loved Ogilvy personally, to me he's like Nigel Havers and Anthony Andrews, underrated because he had the bad luck of being posh and good looking. (He's excellent in Upstairs Downstairs and The Sorcerers).

Is ROTS worth a punt?

I remember the late 80s Simon Dutton revival being a real disaster, using the Morse format unwisely like Van der Valk did and impressing no-one.

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

i enjoyed watching "return of the saint" back in the 70s ogilvy had much of moores charm but never really convinced in the fighting stakes [far to skinny looking] but it had great production values and felt like the previous ITC effort, always done well in the ratings for ITV as i recall have the aussie boxset.

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

I loved Return of the Saint. Because of my age Ian was the Saint I grew up watching so for me he is the best TV Saint, whereas Roger's just some bloke called Bond.

It was Ian's show that lead me to the books and thirty-five years later here we are!

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

i really hope this new "saint" is a success and i would be delighted to see it back on ITV if its picked up etc simon templar is a timeless character who can easily fit into any era and can adapt to the current times, just hope the makers keep "the halo moment" !

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Showing my ignorance but is this for American or British tv?

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

Both. We've got a lot of interest from both the UK and the US but everyone's waiting to see the pilot before making a commitment. Plus there's plenty of international interest as well.

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

i expect SKY might nab this unless ITV has a sense of nostalgia for its action/adventure past.

BrentCleever21
405 lines

Post by BrentCleever21 »

Looking forward to this already. I grew up with the Roger Moore Saint's and disliked the Return of the Saint because it wasn't enough like the old series. With the benefit of the box-set I've realised the Ogilvy series was good in its own way. It seems to have been crucially undermined by one of American TV's anti-violence purges, although the episode written by Leon Griffiths took an alternate path (and if they'd done more of the same it could have been ahead of its time, anticipating Hustle by 30 years). Thanks to DVD, I can now watch a Roger Moore Saint any time I like, and have also been able to view his predecessors such as Louis Hayward, George Sanders and Hugh Sinclair (who doesn't look like the Saint, but carries the role pretty well). End result is that I can be more laid back about a new Saint.
The Patrick Wymark Boardroom http://www.wymark.org.uk

Al Mundy
405 lines

Post by Al Mundy »

i think the monochrome ITC episodes of "the saint" stand the test of time far better than the 70s ogilvy ones some gritty tales to be found in these early stories, but each to his/her own i suppose.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I love both Saints, but Ogilvy was 'my' Saint in that I watched the show as an 8 year old and adored it. I think it stands up very well today. The real locations, rather than Elstree backlots and back projection, make it feel quite modern, too.

Is the show being made on 35mm as before, Ian, or is it HD nowadays?

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

It'll be HD.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Thanks. Fingers crossed there's a Blu-ray.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Hmmmm, Eliza Dushku......I'll be watching....:-)
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Razor Eddie
625 lines

Post by Razor Eddie »

We have a very fun and interesting new take on The Saint,” co-producer Jim Martin teased Spinoff Online. “It’s not a reboot and it’s not a remake. You know how J.J. Abrams managed to create the new Star Trek franchise without burning the longtime Trekkies and Trekkers? Well, we know that the long and storied history of Simon Templar has borne a ton of Saint fans, and we plan on embracing that fan base. Not only are we including Sir Roger Moore in our pilot but, we are also lucky enough to get Ian Ogilvy, who starred as Simon Templar in 1978-79 incarnation The Return of the Saint.

The Saint Revival Promises ‘New Take’ on Simon Templar @spinoff.comicbookresources.com
3 Saints for the price of one - that's kinda cool
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

This looks very promising indeed¬

Dandy Forsdyke
405 lines

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Is that the original Volvo?

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Is that the original Volvo?
Yes, one that Sir Roger Moore used to own and was used on his version of the Saint.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

It looks like the producers of this new series are trying to do right by the fans of the original series.

videoking
625 lines

Post by videoking »

What is the timeline and when is the pilot expected to be broadcast?

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Post by Ian Dickerson »

We're still in post production with it but the aim is to launch at MIP TV in Cannes this April with broadcast this Autumn.