Corrie - Barlow goes bonkers

What's currently on the box
SgtPepper
625 lines

Corrie - Barlow goes bonkers

Post by SgtPepper »

This is real life rather than the programme but you're left wondering whether the 50 years on the street have sent him squirley.
Glenn Hoddle was sacked as England manager for less.

Barlow is a loonie

Ross
D-MAC

Re: Corrie - Barlow goes bonkers

Post by Ross »

He's apologised for it.

Which means he still believes it, but realises that voicing it in public was bad for his image.

He remains a looney.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what both Roache and Hoddle have intimated based on Hinduism? Just not the victim bit.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

Actually, if you watch the original interview, his words have been taken out of context.

It made me smile that he still loves Coronation Street. He deserves a medal, since the rest of us gave up years ago!

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Cole wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what both Roache and Hoodle have intimated based on Hinduism? Just not the victim bit.
Yes, and Buddhism.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Ernest Grainger wrote:Actually, if you watch the original interview, his words have been taken out of context.

It made me smile that he still loves Coronation Street. He deserves a medal, since the rest of us gave up years ago!
I must say that it seems like a storm in a teacup. Whilst I have absolutely no time for any kind of airy fairy "beliefs" I think that the poor chap has probably been misunderstood. The interview is edited, they've got the scissors into it and there's nothing to suggest that his remarks about "victims" were a direct reference back to the conversation about underage groupies and sex abuse. He may well have been talking about "victims" in the most general possible sense. He hesitates before saying it, and I'm quite sure he wouldn't have made remarks like that with regard to victims of paedophilia. I don't think he'd think that and I don't think he'd be stupid enough to say it. It'd be interesting to see the rushes. I bet there was a gap between the two exchanges and that the direction of the conversation had changed somewhat. They could have butt-joined a comment about groupies to a quite possibly unrelated in Roache's mind remark about some silly kind of airy fairy "Karma" or "what comes around goes around - even from past lives" notion/belief that he holds. Ill judged indeed but I'd wager not malicious and not intended with the implication that has been attached to it by gleeful media.

What with this and the interview on "This Morning" the other day he has made himself look a bit of a loon though.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Yes, and why in heaven's name is he appearing on "Celebrity Juice"? I sometimes think he'll do anything for money.

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

I really have a feeling that this is going to mark the end of his 53(!) years on Coronation Street. I can see ITV panicing and writing him out, which would be a huge shame.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Billy wrote:I really have a feeling that this is going to mark the end of his 53(!) years on Coronation Street. I can see ITV panicing and writing him out, which would be a huge shame.
I really can't see that happening. The Daily Star does seem to have it in for him, though.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Does anyone else find the reaction to this article a little 'disturbing' ? The idea of 'punishment for sins in a past life' sounds very like part of the man's (non-Christian) religion, and as such we must respect it, as any Guardian reader knows. We mustn't unwittingly countenance 'racism' here. (Yes, I can't quite see how criticism of someone's wacky religion is 'racism', but it is; ask a Muslim).

His comments about 'groupies' are just common sense observations of the realities of stardom. I had enough trouble fending off teenage girls, and I was only the van driver!

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Billy
405 lines

Post by Billy »

Well.

How convenient.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

It's certainly going to be one hell of a Christmas prison panto this year.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

SgtPepper wrote:It's certainly going to be one hell of Christmas prison panto this year.
Oh no it isn't!
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

SgtPepper wrote:It's certainly going to be one hell of a Christmas prison panto this year.
Much as I try to resist getting involved in threads like these, especially since they always end up getting closed, that comment really did make me laugh. I said myself last night somewhere soon there will be a wing of a prison which will forever be like Celebrity Big Brother.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

And will Stuart Hall play his joker?

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Simon36 wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:It's certainly going to be one hell of a Christmas prison panto this year.
Much as I try to resist getting involved in threads like these, especially since they always end up getting closed, that comment really did make me laugh. I said myself last night somewhere soon there will be a wing of a prison which will forever be like Celebrity Big Brother.
Prison Celebrity Big Brother; I can hear Channel 5 trying to bash your front door in, for the rights, as I type!

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

Simon Coward wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:It's certainly going to be one hell of Christmas prison panto this year.
Oh no it isn't!
Laugh? I almost cried. Dare I say "oh yes it is!"

Admittedly nothing has been proven at the time I write this, but I find it quite strange how major personalities seem to consider themselves above the law and maintain a monumental life long porky covering stuff up - I always feel so let down when the news breaks but strongly believe in innocent until proven guilty.