"Goodbye Granadaland" Jun 15

What's currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"Goodbye Granadaland" Jun 15

Post by Mark »

"Goodbye Granadaland" is on Saturday ( Jun 15th) at 8.30pm, in a 90 mins slot.

One to see.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Roll ACR
625 lines

Re: "Goodbye Granadaland" Jun 15

Post by Roll ACR »

Yeah I forgot to update the other thread with the TX slot when I found out. I'll be interested to see if any of my shots from the last Uni Challenge at GTV made it into the programme.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I looked for more information and found this:

"The information contained herein is embargoed from press use, commercial and non-commercial reproduction and sharing - in the public domain - until Tuesday 11 June 2013." But it's apparently OK to put it up on the Web where anyone can google it.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

Always a certain melancholy about something like this. But, as with the BBC, that melancholy now has a new edge to it, which complicates longing and reminds us of how double-edged a sword the old broadcasting model actually was. I wonder if the edit that actually goes out will be slightly different from the one they originally put together?

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

RobinCarmody wrote:Always a certain melancholy about something like this. But, as with the BBC, that melancholy now has a new edge to it, which complicates longing and reminds us of how double-edged a sword the old broadcasting model actually was. I wonder if the edit that actually goes out will be slightly different from the one they originally put together?
Do you mean because of certain Granada employees having been arrested?

I'm looking forward to this, although I feel that in many respects ITV said Goodbye to Granadaland a very long time ago!

Doubtless, they'd prefer to maintain a guilty silence over the end of networked broadcasting from Central, Yorkshire and Tyne Tees Television, to name but three.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Hmmmm......they've just trotted out the rainfall story as fact. I'm quite sure that story is apocryphal and that the reason for going after a Northern ITA contract was to avoid direct internal competition for their cinemas which were predominantly in London and the South East.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Roll ACR wrote:Hmmmm......they've just trotted out the rainfall story as fact. I'm quite sure that story is apocryphal and that the reason for going after a Northern ITA contract was to avoid direct internal competition for their cinemas which were predominantly in London and the South East.
According to this page and the book "Granada Television - The First Generation", Bernstein noted it as a reason, or at the very least a benefit, of going for the northern ITV contract - the book noting that it was mentioned as early as 1959 in a speech to the London School of Economics. That doesn't make it true, of course, but if apocryphal then at the very least it seems to have emanated from SB himself.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Fair enough.......

They've just referred to "episodes" of "World in Action".

FFS!!!!!!!

Overall it's been quite good though. Very sad for those of us who worked there.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Roll ACR wrote:They've just referred to "episodes" of "World in Action"
They also mentioned "filming" something, which was shot on tape.
It's the modern way... unfortunately.

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Simon Coward wrote:
Roll ACR wrote:They've just referred to "episodes" of "World in Action"
They also mentioned "filming" something, which was shot on tape.
Filming can be forgiven as it's such a longstanding term. It may be incorrect in the digital age but it is at least quaint. "Episode" on the other hand, when used inappropriately, is childish,
ignorant and bloody annoying. Just the same as people who use "was like" in lieu of "said". I'd have them shot. Anyhow, I've made the "episode" point in another thread already so I'll shut up now.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Roll ACR wrote:Filming can be forgiven as it's such a longstanding term. It may be incorrect in the digital age but it is at least quaint.
But it's not as though it's only in the digital age that they've had an alternative to film, is it? Video's existed - in one form or another - for the whole life of the studios around which "Goodbye Granadaland" was centred, so it's hardly a new phenomenon. If they'd always used the term "filming" for capturing a performance whether on film, on tape or live, I'd understand. Or if they'd continued to refer to it as "taping" even if there was no longer any actual tape, I'd understand. But the recent trend to start referring to recording something like Coronation Street as "filming" strikes me as woeful self-aggrandisement at best and stupidity at worst. Or maybe the other way round.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Simon Coward wrote: They also mentioned "filming" something, which was shot on tape.
It's hardly modern. "Filming" long ago became a generic term for capturing moving pictures regardless of the actual format; it's been used in that way ever since the invention of video tape. Some people in the industry use it, others don't, although in my experience, there are more of the former than the latter. Either way, it's no big deal, since everybody knows what you mean and doesn't get hung up about the actual format.

This will *really* wind you up - people in the industry still refer to "PAL" and "NTSC" as shorthand for "625/50" and "525/60", even when working in the component domain. I know, the barbarians are at the gates.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

GarethR wrote:It's hardly modern. "Filming" long ago became a generic term for capturing moving pictures regardless of the actual format; it's been used in that way ever since the invention of video tape.
I'd very interested if you could find any recorded examples to back that up - written or spoken - from, say, the 1980s or earlier because I don't remember ever coming across it that far back. And what the film unions would have thought of lowly tape folk talking like that in the 1950s or 60s doesn't bear thinking about.

I think the earliest it might have started was when VT series started to be routinely shot on location, like film series would (or could) be, rather in the studio. But I'm happy to be convinced - with evidence - that I'm wrong.

Edit: the other reason I don't think it's such an old term is that it's invariably youngish people I hear using it rather than the old codgers - which suggests it's something that's come into use rather than phrasing that's been there all the time.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

To be perfectly honest, Simon, it doesn't matter to me as much as it presumably does to you. As as for what the film unions would have thought, well, heavens forfend.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

IMHO Peter Kay held it together
otherwise the usual poor research and therefore hackneyed safe clips shown.

Talking of 'filming' no mention of 'The Wedding' possibly the world's first wedding 'video'

As for saying Granada was top notch at comedy they only had one decent sitcom ever 'Nearest & Dearest'.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'd argue that The Lovers and Watching were decent sitcoms. The Army Game had its moments, too.

simon10011
405 lines

Post by simon10011 »

Why did Suranne Jones have to keep reintroducing the programme after every ad break by saying Peter Kay is saying goodbye to Granada Studios. Have the audience forgotten what they are watching in the intervening 3 minutes!!

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

simon10011 wrote:Why did Suranne Jones have to keep reintroducing the programme after every ad break by saying Peter Kay is saying goodbye to Granada Studios. Have the audience forgotten what they are watching in the intervening 3 minutes!!
Another annoying practice we seem to have inherited from America, unfortunately.

Overall I quite enjoyed this - although I'm usually ambivalent about Peter Kay he seemed to have a genuine affection for and interest in the subject (something I share with him, having also grown up in Granadaland during the seventies/eighties, and Studio 6 being the place where my one and, to date, only television appearance was recorded).

I'm a bit surprised The Cuckoo Waltz didn't get a mention, though.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

simon10011 wrote:Why did Suranne Jones have to keep reintroducing the programme after every ad break by saying Peter Kay is saying goodbye to Granada Studios. Have the audience forgotten what they are watching in the intervening 3 minutes!!
Because TV companies think their viewers are idiots.

Marker
405 lines

Post by Marker »

There was a brief section of footage, showing cameras being moved about. It looked as though it was either a live or as-live production. Does anyone know how this footage came to be recorded? Given the scarce resources of the time, it seems incredible that this footage exists.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Ross wrote:I'd argue that The Lovers and Watching were decent sitcoms. The Army Game had its moments, too.
Didn't a lot of the Army Game actually come from their London studio?

As for filming you could argue that tape is a film of oxide on the base and also the same with hard discs - but I think you'd come unstuck if a program was recorded on memory cards :-)

tiswas2
625 lines

Post by tiswas2 »

Living in Granadaland - IMO they were'nt the best at producing comedy the exceptions have been mentioned

The Lovers, Watching, The Cuckoo Waltz and Nearest and dearest - Much better at covering music as was briefly illustrated in the show.

An indication of how they now regard viewers is that a 90 minute slot barely scraped 56 minutes of programme - a new low in my recent

experience -not that I watch a lot of ITV - Leslie Halliwell must be spinning in his grave.

Lord Brett
405 lines

Post by Lord Brett »

Brian F wrote: Didn't a lot of the Army Game actually come from their London studio?
My mum was in the army, working at Berklely Square and recalls going to see an Army Game episode being recorded in London, at a theatre.

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

It's quite jarring to see William Roache not in any Corrie clips anymore.

They also cleverly zoomed in on the Peter Kay video to exclude Jimmy Savile.

I loved the bit at the end when Peter Kay was driving out the studios with some of the "GRANADA TV" signage sticking out from the boot!

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

It's not aimed at the viewers who have been with the show since before that ad break, it's aimed at those who will only just have landed on the show after channel-hopping.

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

GarethR wrote:
It's not aimed at the viewers who have been with the show since before that ad break, it's aimed at those who will only just have landed on the show after channel-hopping.
They could probably have worked it out.

Besides, if they're a casual channel-hopper, chances are they won't be swayed by the specifics of the programme anyway. It's not like they'd chance upon it and think:

'Hmm, some clipshow about old telly with Peter Kay in it. Looks a bit dull.'
Announcer: 'Peter Kay is saying goodbye to Granada Studios...'
'Woah, Granada Studios you say?! Now that's different. They might mention The Cuckoo Waltz.'

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

I would add "Brass" and "The Dustbinmen" to the list of decent Granada Comedies.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

GarethR wrote:
Well if they have decided to join a programme half way through then that's their problem, I don't think the programme has to cater for the channel hopping audience. I get completely annoyed with programmes on the "Discovery Channel" which will leave for the ad-break on a semi cliff-hanger and then return after the break and spend the first 2-3 minutes recapping the first half of the programme. There-by runing any suspense they may have built up in the dedicated audience.

I've often wondered how much orginal programming you get in a Discovery style documentary excluding all the ad-breaks, coming up segments, recapping etc...

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Jezza wrote:It's quite jarring to see William Roache not in any Corrie clips anymore.
I agree. Philip Lowrie was a bit of an obvious poor substitution.

Not sure where you got 56 minutes from, tiswas2 - after editing the ad breaks out on my recording, it was 69 minutes approximately. Which I agree is still short-changing viewers. The programme seemed to disappear for an ad break at an incredibly frequent rate. When you've recorded shows and you skip the ads, you really do realise just how often we need to be reminded what we're watching and why.

It was pleasant enough. A 90-minute slot on archive TV in primetime Saturday night is a bit daring for ITV, really!

Interesting note... the BBC and ITV's "goodbye" programmes to their Manchester studios have now both aired. The BBC's "TV Greats: Our Favourites From the North" was shown over 18 months ago in November 2011. As it featured contributions from both Jimmy Savile and Stuart Hall, I doubt it'll be shown again! Also, both programmes seemed to take credit for Mrs Merton. It's an odd one, because the show was a Granada production for the BBC, like University Challenge. UC was filmed at Granada Studios, so was "The Mrs Merton Show" too? In which case, the BBC were only responsible for broadcasting the show, although I imagine they will have had some involvement in making it (contractual agreements, stipulations etc). Did Mrs M film at Quay Street or Oxford Road? Enquiring minds need to know.

It's a similar case for Caroline Aherne's other famous show, "The Royle Family". "TV Greats" heralded it as an example of the BBC's great output from Manchester, but, again, it was a Granada Studios production. Wikipedia cites it as being made at Granada Studios. Oddly, even if it's clear that Granada made both shows, the ITV documentary barely featured either, and it was the BBC's tribute to Manchester broadcasting that devoted more time to them. Could either party take more credit?

The other interesting example of this is, of course, "The Road to Coronation Street". Not mentioned by either programme (and it probably didn't need to be), but I imagine that was made at Granada (it was certainly an ITV Studios production - note that the documentary didn't mention the end of on-screen idents! I wonder if younger viewers even realise the significance of the name?). And then subsequently aired by Auntie.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Clive wrote: I've often wondered how much orginal programming you get in a Discovery style documentary excluding all the ad-breaks, coming up segments, recapping etc...
Or on any documentary shown by a British commercial broadcaster!