Poirot

What's currently on the box
SteveBoyce
405 lines

Poirot

Post by SteveBoyce »

Not an especially important post probably... but I just wanted to express my disappointment **somewhere** with the Elephants Do Remember epi. Normally I enjoy Suchet's Poirot very much and especially look forward to a Nick Dear script - generally I love his take on the stories where he leaves "just enough" the same and adds "just enough" in. Well OMG what a disaster this latest was - hard to know where to start really. Just a complete clunker. I had the feeling Nick Dear gave up and didn't even seriously try. What a shame.

PS Ooops - meant to post in current TV - hopefully nobody'll rap me too hard on the knuckles for that... Steve

Mark
Committee

Re: Poirot

Post by Mark »

Moved it to current, for you!

Thought it was, enjoyable, darker tales, as they became, not familiar with that story, so I take it, it was somewhat different.?

Looking forward to the remaining episodes, especially "The Big Four", and the finale.

Quite an achievement, twenty five years, and all the stories covered, the Definitive Poirot..?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

Mark wrote:Moved it to current, for you!

Thought it was, enjoyable, darker tales, as they became, not familiar with that story, so I take it, it was somewhat different.?

Looking forward to the remaining episodes, especially "The Big Four", and the finale.

Quite an achievement, twenty five years, and all the stories covered, the Definitive Poirot..?
Thanks Mark both for the move and the feedback!

Yes the definitive Poiroit for sure - a magnificent achievement completely down to Suchet, both at a performance and I suspect also at the business level of "getting it done"

Just disappointment made me post because normally a Poirot written by Nick Dear is perfect entertainment and it felt such a let down - not one I'll want to watch again. But for sure I'm still looking forward a lot to the rest :-)

Cheers, Steve

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Slightly OT but when you've recently watched Jeeves & Wooster AND Poirot, you get stuck with a feeling they're bound to bump into each other, Bertie saying "What ho, 'ercule? I say, that was a nasty turn of events, that murdered body turning up at the Drones Club yesterday.", or something like that.
This is nøt å signåture.™

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Sounds like the ideal comedy mash up? Ideal for a one off perhaps.

Didn't Peter Serafinowicz have a running sketch where Poirot and Miss Marple keep bumping into each other and end up shagging?
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, you're right, Steve, definitive for getting them all done ( glad for Suchet, as he really wanted to finish them ) and for his performance, even if someone else has a go, Suchet can't be bettered.

It's like Marple, they have all been good, but Joan Hickson is the best, by a mile.

I miss the superb theme and the excellent titles of the LWT series, I generally preferred those early episodes, they were lighter and more stylish, although my favourite episode, is "The ABC Murders", watchable, many times over.

Hope they do a Documentary, a fitting way to wrap up, a quarter century milestone.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:Slightly OT but when you've recently watched Jeeves & Wooster AND Poirot, you get stuck with a feeling they're bound to bump into each other, Bertie saying "What ho, 'ercule? I say, that was a nasty turn of events, that murdered body turning up at the Drones Club yesterday.", or something like that.
I must admit, when I watch "Poirot", I almost always get the urge to dig out the "Jeeves And Wooster", box set, and watch one, it's such a great period, all that lovely Art Deco.!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Wooksta! wrote:Sounds like the ideal comedy mash up? Ideal for a one off perhaps.

Didn't Peter Serafinowicz have a running sketch where Poirot and Miss Marple keep bumping into each other and end up shagging?
Can't say I ever saw that one!.....no prizes for guessing what the Agatha Christie estate, would have thought of that!

There was one on "The Two Ronnies" with Barker as Poirot, and everyone getting bumped off, that was very good.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The Poirot/Marple sketches were part of short-lived and much-missed The Peter Serafiniwicz Show and are on the DVD. One of the girls from The Commitments plays Miss Marple.

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Mark wrote: It's like Marple, they have all been good, but Joan Hickson is the best, by a mile.
Matter of opinion. I can't abide the Joan Hickson ones as she comes across as an interfering busybody, and quite smug with it. Whereas the Geraldine McEwan ones have more of a zest for life. She seems more fun. That's not to say that the productions haven't got other flaws, but she seems to work best for me. Either that or Margaret Rutherford.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Slightly OT but when you've recently watched Jeeves & Wooster AND Poirot, you get stuck with a feeling they're bound to bump into each other, Bertie saying "What ho, 'ercule? I say, that was a nasty turn of events, that murdered body turning up at the Drones Club yesterday.", or something like that.
I must admit, when I watch "Poirot", I almost always get the urge to dig out the "Jeeves And Wooster", box set, and watch one, it's such a great period, all that lovely Art Deco.!
That's probably what caused the link for me too, the fact that literally everyone in these series lives in '20s and '30s style houses. This is of course all historically true. :)
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Wooksta! wrote:
Mark wrote: It's like Marple, they have all been good, but Joan Hickson is the best, by a mile.
Matter of opinion. I can't abide the Joan Hickson ones as she comes across as an interfering busybody, and quite smug with it. Whereas the Geraldine McEwan ones have more of a zest for life. She seems more fun. That's not to say that the productions haven't got other flaws, but she seems to work best for me. Either that or Margaret Rutherford.
Margaret Rutherford, was great, "Murder Ahoy" being my fav.

Julia Mckenzie is a smashing actress, but I don't know if I can watch the new "Caribbean" one, as I'm too used to the Hickson version.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:
That's probably what caused the link for me too, the fact that literally everyone in these series lives in '20s and '30s style houses. This is of course all historically true. :)
What about the cars, though..nice!

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:

Except if you watch if back to back, he seems to turn up at the same three houses!

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

Mark wrote:Yes, you're right, Steve, definitive for getting them all done ( glad for Suchet, as he really wanted to finish them ) and for his performance, even if someone else has a go, Suchet can't be bettered.

It's like Marple, they have all been good, but Joan Hickson is the best, by a mile.
Agree 100% about Hickson, although I think this was maybe at least 50% due to the excellent team she had around her and wrote for her. Also, maybe, they were nearer the time and didn't feel the need to pastiche the 1950s, which mostly doesn't work. "At Bertram's Hotel" was a particularly laughable / lamentable / egregious example of same by "new Marple".
Mark wrote: I miss the superb theme and the excellent titles of the LWT series, I generally preferred those early episodes, they were lighter and more stylish, although my favourite episode, is "The ABC Murders", watchable, many times over.

Hope they do a Documentary, a fitting way to wrap up, a quarter century milestone.
I also loved the ABC Murders, couldn't agree more with that one, and also I miss the huge attention to design detail in the LWT series. Also miss Philip Jackson's performance which was almost as strong as Suchet's. Definitely wouldn't say I generally prefer them though, rather they are different animals and I love both. Like I say, Nick Dear in general got 21st century Poirot spot on imo which made last week's thing SO disappointing.

Yes a Documentary would be great :-)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Philip Jackson, Hugh Fraser and Pauline Moran are all back in the next one, really looking forward to that. And another +1 for ABC Murders, one of my favourites.

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

SteveBoyce wrote:
Agree 100% about Hickson, although I think this was maybe at least 50% due to the excellent team she had around her and wrote for her. Also, maybe, they were nearer the time and didn't feel the need to pastiche the 1950s, which mostly doesn't work. "At Bertram's Hotel" was a particularly laughable / lamentable / egregious example of same by "new Marple".
Yes, that's true, the BBC productions were always excellent, really good, and the treatment of that era, is one of the reasons I'm not so keen on "Marple".
Mark wrote: I miss the superb theme and the excellent titles of the LWT series, I generally preferred those early episodes, they were lighter and more stylish, although my favourite episode, is "The ABC Murders", watchable, many times over.

SteveBoyce wrote:I also loved the ABC Murders, couldn't agree more with that one, and also I miss the huge attention to design detail in the LWT series. Also miss Philip Jackson's performance which was almost as strong as Suchet's. Definitely wouldn't say I generally prefer them though, rather they are different animals and I love both. Like I say, Nick Dear in general got 21st century Poirot spot on imo which made last week's thing SO disappointing.

Yes a Documentary would be great :-)
Both versions were good, but I liked the cozy feel to the early ones, due to the cast.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:Philip Jackson, Hugh Fraser and Pauline Moran are all back in the next one, really looking forward to that. And another +1 for ABC Murders, one of my favourites.

~iw
Yes, "The Big Four", looking forward to the re-union.