Swashbuckle (CBeebies) and CGI gunge...

What's currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Swashbuckle (CBeebies) and CGI gunge...

Post by Don Satchley »

This new show for kids features a "Walk the Plank" sequence at the end where one of the 3 pirate actors will be gunged. The gunge tank contents are all CGI and the actors just fall onto a mat and get up with a few bit of detritus on them instead of being covered in gunge. Why would they do that? Health and Safety? It just doesn't make sense to me. The latest in a few weird shows on CBeebies. Don't get me started on Carrie and David's Popshop... ;)

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Re: Swashbuckle (CBeebies) and CGI gunge...

Post by Bob Richardson »

Cleaning the gunge tank on shows like Noel's House Party was a messy business, and it always had traces of dried cack from previous weeks. The gunge was a commercial food thickening agent with food colouring added, so it was completely non-toxic, although it would still have been possible to drown through inhalation. So there are probably clean-up and H&S issues to consider these days.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks for the insight Bob, I guess CGI is the much easier option than the real thing now.
Cheers
Don

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

Especially as they wear the same costume every show, and I'm guessing they probably film at least 2 at a time!

By the way , the kids LOVE this show. Eye patch, pirate hat!

(popshop, I'm with you Don).

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Don Satchley wrote:This new show for kids features a "Walk the Plank" sequence at the end where one of the 3 pirate actors will be gunged. The gunge tank contents are all CGI and the actors just fall onto a mat and get up with a few bit of detritus on them instead of being covered in gunge. Why would they do that? Health and Safety? It just doesn't make sense to me. The latest in a few weird shows on CBeebies. Don't get me started on Carrie and David's Popshop... ;)
Ah god, Carrie and David's Popshop, the only show where ex-Fame Academy judges/vocal coaches (including him off Linx) and a puppet dog compete to get 'a feeling' to enable them to sing...