Open All Hours One-off.

Post by JWG »

Has this been covered? http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... as-special
Is this the right forum?

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Re: Open All Hours One-off.

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

This could be a total disaster. And even if it's very funny, well-written and well-acted, what is the point of calling a show "Open all Hours" if it can't have Ronnie Barker in it?
Great News Inside, Chums!

Mark C Bale
405 lines

Post by Mark C Bale »

Maybe DJ is trying to get back into public favour after the horrendous Royal Bodyguard. Will he dye whatever hair he has black to look younger ?

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

I said some time ago that this could work, Granville essentially becoming the Arkwright character.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Leave it alone. RB is dead and he was the heart and soul of this show. Jason was his stooge. It would be like reviving Hylda Baker's stage act with just Cynthia alone. Nothing to see here...move on please.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Mike S
D-MAC

Post by Mike S »

Nobody done a 'doable Barker' joke yet then?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Bob Richardson wrote:Leave it alone. RB is dead and he was the heart and soul of this show. Jason was his stooge. It would be like reviving Hylda Baker's stage act with just Cynthia alone. Nothing to see here...move on please.
I certainly wouldn't call David Jason a stooge - Granville was a very funny character in his own right, although a lot of the humour came from the way he was constantly put upon by Arkwright. With him in charge, perhaps some of that humour will be lost. Still like the idea though - I think it could work.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Surely Granville's character was funny primarily because of his relationship to and interaction with Arkwright. I have the sinking feeling that the one-off will see Granville having turned into an Arkwright-like miser with a new young character brought in to be bossed around by him. Of course there'll be the inevitable cash register gag, and early on there'll have to be a reference to Arkwright to allow Granville to imitate his stammer.

ayrshireman
625 lines

Post by ayrshireman »

Bob Richardson wrote:Leave it alone. RB is dead and he was the heart and soul of this show. Jason was his stooge. It would be like reviving Hylda Baker's stage act with just Cynthia alone. Nothing to see here...move on please.
I like you Bob, but you are very wrong.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I remember Halliwell describing that Pink Panther film made after Sellars was dead as "a pointless exercise in necrophilia". I thought it was a peculiarly vile and yet frustratingly apt description, and I do think the revival of anything these days, the star being dead not being seen as a problem, is getting ridicuous and rather mercenary. I wish they'd learn from the revivals of Yes Minister, Minder and everything else that this probably won't work. Personally I'm not sure the original had much going for it other than Barker but maybe I'm wrong, I haven't watched it since the 80s. I wish them well with it, but it sounds an awful idea to me. How many people have ever stood about saying "I'd love to know what Granville's up to these days?"

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

ayrshireman wrote:
I like you Bob, but you are very wrong.
I wouldn't go as far as Mr Richardson. However, Open All Hours was undoubtedly a Ronnie Barker vehicle, written especially for him. While the supporting cast are always superb, the very show itself grew out of a Ronnie Baker project. And when someone mentions "Open All Hours" the first thing that pops into your mind is Ar-Ar-Arkwright, and not anybody else.
Great News Inside, Chums!

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

GarethR wrote: Of course there'll be the inevitable cash register gag, and early on there'll have to be a reference to Arkwright to allow Granville to imitate his stammer.

I'm not sure they would in these PC crazy modern times. Would it be classed as taking the mickey out of those with a speech impediment ? No doubt some would complain. And I'm not sure the till gag would work with a modern electronic cash register !!!!!! I wonder if Stephanie Cole and some of the other regular cast members were asked or not.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

The fact it features the rest of the original cast is the only thing that makes me think this would work. My main concern that it's a long time since I've seen David Jason being funny in anything, so that would be the biggest worry for me. If it isn't funny then why bother?

Having said that David Jason is no fool, he doesn't need the cash and he knows that RB is an icon of British comedy. If it wasn't going to work I am sure (or at least I hope I'm sure) that he would have declined the offer.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

It'll be followed by the hilarious new return to Slade prison, "An Empty Bowl of Porridge".

The programme starts with a close up of "Godber was here" scratched into a wall, then pans down to an empty bed. The shot pulls out to reveal an empty cell, then out to an empty wing. Finally we find David Jason as Blanco, the world's oldest prisoner and only resident.

Hilarity ensues.

rachel leah
405 lines

Post by rachel leah »

It's a good idea in that even if it were rubbish I would still watch it out of curiousity to see what they come up with.

I like one comment in the comments section:
"If Arkwright's shop existed today it would be a Gregg's, hospice charity shop, or would have been demolished to make way for a Cash Converters.

Granville could have no realistic aspirations towards being a small business owner, and would doubtless be grateful, in his 70s, for his part-time job chasing trolleys around an Asda car park...."

He then goes on to spoil it by saying it was all Thatcher's fault. :) She can't be responsible for anything and everything. She did a lot wrong but she's not at fault for little corner shops going to make room for charity shops and everyone driving to gigantic shopping centres.

I bet they will ignore reality, but it would be nice if they give a nod to what happened to shops like Arkwrights.
Somehow I can't imagine a put apon assistant like Granville nowadays.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

plasticomo wrote:And I'm not sure the till gag would work with a modern electronic cash register
No reason why it shouldn't. Also no reason why it couldn't still be the old mechanical register, of course.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

marsey wrote: Having said that David Jason is no fool, he doesn't need the cash and he knows that RB is an icon of British comedy. If it wasn't going to work I am sure (or at least I hope I'm sure) that he would have declined the offer.
He agreed to those crappy final post-fortune episodes of OFAH which comprehensively ruined the established ideal ending. Were they really that much funnier as scripts than they were as completed productions?

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

GarethR wrote:I have the sinking feeling that the one-off will see Granville having turned into an Arkwright-like miser with a new young character brought in to be bossed around by him.
Played by Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

plasticomo wrote:I'm not sure they would in these PC crazy modern times. Would it be classed as taking the mickey out of those with a speech impediment ? No doubt some would complain.
Well, they frequently show the old episodes and nobody's complained, so I doubt it.

plasticomo
405 lines

Post by plasticomo »

Steve Williams wrote:
plasticomo wrote:I'm not sure they would in these PC crazy modern times. Would it be classed as taking the mickey out of those with a speech impediment ? No doubt some would complain.
Well, they frequently show the old episodes and nobody's complained, so I doubt it.

But they get away with it because they are old episodes. New dramas have to tread a bit more carefully, especially when they are on a mainstream channel as opposed to one like GOLD.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Could have been awful, but wasn't. It's nice (and quite realistic) that Granville would step into Arkwright's shoes (loved his picture on the wall!) and nice to see all the old characters still there (and not looking too much older either!).

Very much enjoyed this, and would be quite happy if they made it into a series; there's a lot of mileage there.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I think there is going to be a series sometime next year. I missed it myself, but I would have been interested to see how the gentler humour held up in this day and age.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Doom Patrol wrote:I think there is going to be a series sometime next year. I missed it myself, but I would have been interested to see how the gentler humour held up in this day and age.

Yes, it would be interesting to see what a younger generation would make of it. The comedy was much more gentle than usually seen today, and (imho) this is the best performance I have seen from David Jason in many years.

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

marsey wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:I think there is going to be a series sometime next year. I missed it myself, but I would have been interested to see how the gentler humour held up in this day and age.

The comedy was much more gentle than usually seen today, and (imho) this is the best performance I have seen from David Jason in many years.
Jason was OK, but he effectively did an Awkwright impression and seemed to be channelling Ronnie Barker.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

marsey wrote:

The comedy was much more gentle than usually seen today, and (imho) this is the best performance I have seen from David Jason in many years.
Jason was OK, but he effectively did an Awkwright impression and seemed to be channelling Ronnie Barker.

The cash register gag survives, although Granville's son didn't bother asking how much to ring up before it tried to bite his fingers off.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

I enjoyed it. Funny, but with some pathos and I can see the potential for a full series.

I'd much sooner see Jason doing this than the mooted new Only Fools episodes.

Anyone else spot a Chuckle Brother on the end of that dog lead?
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Doom Patrol wrote:I missed it myself, but I would have been interested to see how the gentler humour held up in this day and age.
So you won't watch it on iPlayer? Or via less legal means?

We downloaded and watched it last night. The humour was so "gentle" it just barely maintained our interest, and there were only two actual laughs in it - Jason doing the stutter impression, and the till. The bloke brought in as the new Granville barely registered as a character. The dialogue was pretty much interchangeable with any previous episode of OAH, but for some reason it's simply funnier when it's Barker delivering it in the early 80s.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I'm afraid not. Our internet is appalling and more than I can stand trying to watch something online. It'll be on again I'm sure.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Doom Patrol wrote:I'm afraid not. Our internet is appalling and more than I can stand trying to watch something online. It'll be on again I'm sure.
Just use the "download" option on iPlayer rather than streaming it.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

I thought it was awful and embarrassing, and I didn't understand why Jason seemed to be doing an impression of Ronnie Barker as Arkwright. If there is a series I guess it will please some people, but I won't be tuning in. Twenty years ago this revival might have worked, but not now. IMO.