Open All Hours One-off.

What's currently on the box
brigham
HD

Re: Open All Hours One-off.

Post by brigham »

Brock wrote:

Use your imagination. What do you think she might have done that was within the bounds of acceptability?

...And also 'unfunny, unclever and disturbing'. Well, if I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't have bothered asking. As it is, it looks like an attempt on the record for most posts between asking a simple question and getting a simple answer.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:As it is, it looks like an attempt on the record for most posts between asking a simple question and getting a simple answer.
Why should we give away plot spoilers? You had the opportunity to watch it online, and you didn't take it.

Hint: she says "call me Delphine".

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

My apologies.Having atarted this thread,I thought it had run out of steam within a day or so,and failed to check.
I can reveal that the 'thing' that Mrs.Whatsit did involved a tin of pineapple-chunks mislabeled as frankfurters.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

JWG wrote:My apologies.Having atarted this thread,I thought it had run out of steam within a day or so,and failed to check.
I can reveal that the 'thing' that Mrs.Whatsit did involved a tin of pineapple-chunks mislabeled as frankfurters.
It gets worse! Sounds like real 'smut', then. Could never have happened when Mrs. W. was alive.

I suppose it won't be released until the whole of series one is available to buy.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

For crying out loud, just find it on the net and watch it, and then buy it when it's available.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Unless they repeat it to start the series off, of course.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh, let's put him out of his misery. She grabbed hold of Granville and kissed him. That's all.

Was that worth waiting nearly four months for?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I don't know whether it has something to do with growing-up in the 'sixties, but when something attracts a review like:-
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote: It wasn't funny, it wasn't clever, it was disturbing, and not in a black humour sort of way.
...I tend to find it quite my cup of Ringtons.

I enjoyed 'Spycatcher', by the way. Couldn't make much progress with 'The Satanic Verses'.

Anybody got a copy of 'Heil Honey, I'm Home'?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I see that there's an amateur 'making of' the show on Notmetube.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Well, I've finally got round to watching it, and if THAT is somebody's idea of "it wasn't funny, it wasn't clever, it was disturbing, and not in a black humour sort of way", then someone must be easily disturbed.

It was nothing more than yet another twist on the old, timeless 'mistaken identity' gag.

That said, the whole thing is amazingly watchable, just like the original.

I'm impressed!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The new one doesn't seem to have the quality of production that the original series had though, there is a strange 'Tired' look to it now, but the performances are great and Clarke's writing remains as good as ever.

It is, as you say, eminently watchable.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I wonder what someone watching it without having seen Open All Hours would make of it?
I found it 'familiar', rather than 'tired', but there again, I've only seen the first one.
I may tire rapidly.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

'Familiar', yes but tired in the sense of OB for exteriors and a general lack of 'Energy' that the original had'

Also Mavis doesn't seem as wavey anymore!

I'm surprised (but delighted) that Clarke's quirky style of writing is still popular, as I didn't think today's audiences would 'Get it', but they seem to do.

Would the same be true for the excellent Peter Tinniswood though, I loved "I Didn't Know You Cared" and the marvellous Uncle Mort, but it's another very quirky style of humour.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:'Familiar', yes but tired in the sense of OB for exteriors and a general lack of 'Energy' that the original had'

I'm surprised (but delighted) that Clarke's quirky style of writing is still popular, as I didn't think today's audiences would 'Get it', but they seem to do.

Would the same be true for the excellent Peter Tinniswood though, I loved "I Didn't Know You Cared" and the marvellous Uncle Mort, but it's another very quirky style of humour.
Wonderful stuff: 'I heard that, pardon?'

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Mark wrote:'Familiar', yes but tired in the sense of OB for exteriors and a general lack of 'Energy' that the original had'

Wonderful stuff: 'I heard that, pardon?'
Yes, Uncle Staveley, and then there was Carter, 'Aye...well...mmm'.

It's a shame Lynda Baron left "SOAH", I suppose she is still meant to be there but we just don't see her, and, was it my imagination, or had she moved a couple of doors down in the revival?

Also Mavis doesn't seem quite so wavey anymore.