The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Private Frazer
625 lines

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Post by Private Frazer »

I like all the versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and have been listening to the 'Original Records' vinyl releases. I'm searching the web to try and complete cast lists for them (there are a lot of characters including the minor ones). Whilst doing this I only now discovered that my cherished CD release of the 1978 radio broadcasts contained some edits! I'd like to thank the writer of this great webpage where some amazing work has been done to identify original clips to 'share and enjoy'.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

bent_halo
Committee

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Post by bent_halo »

That is wonderful.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

+1 Thanks for the link.

I'm interested in his comment on the home page:

A note about my source material. I am confident that the off-air recordings of series 2 used in this project are from the initial broadcasts. For series 1, I am less confident about this, as they may be taken from early repeats, and there is evidence that some scenes might already have been revised by that point. If you have earlier recordings of the series 1 episodes, or know of differences that I have not mentioned here, please consider getting in touch.

If my recordings are still playable I will get in touch.

~w

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I've listened to the nine clips of the initial broadcasts, have the CD excerpts now for comparison and have been reading more about it.
Ian Wegg wrote:+1 Thanks for the link.

I'm interested in his comment on the home page:

A note about my source material. I am confident that the off-air recordings of series 2 used in this project are from the initial broadcasts. For series 1, I am less confident about this, as they may be taken from early repeats, and there is evidence that some scenes might already have been revised by that point. If you have earlier recordings of the series 1 episodes, or know of differences that I have not mentioned here, please consider getting in touch.

If my recordings are still playable I will get in touch.

~w
Thanks for mentioning this note. I hope your initial recordings are playable; maybe something else will be discovered. I know I'm going to have to put the more original version together too, but I'll wait a bit!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Gary C
405 lines

Post by Gary C »

.....................I worked at the BBC Transcription Service for the first 6 years of my working life.......I know we issued HHGTTG on LP disc for radio satations abroard. I'm wondering if these edited versions the guy has (and indeed the BBC cd boxed set, which I've had for aeons, too) were taken from the Transcription edits?? Is it definite that there were re-edited versions for Radio 4 (separate from the TS edits)?

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

I remember listening to the World Service broadcasts of the first series at the time, and they were different again; various timing edits and "Fit the Sixth" closed with "Journey of the Sorcerer" rather than "What a Wonderful World".

All the best

Andrew

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Looks as though the BBC has finally got permission to broadcast the programme again after a long-running rights dispute with Disney. Series 1 and 2 are being broadcast on Radio 4 Extra from Saturday 8th March. (This press release is mainly about the accompanying game but transmission details are near the end.)

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... dition.php

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

In comparing the credits to episode 4 I notice that the CD release clarified the characters 'One' and 'Two' (first and second computer programmer resp.). I also noticed that after 7.5 Million years, while listening to the 'Original Records' release at least, that no attempt is made to make the descendants questioning Deep Thought sound any different from their ancestors!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:Looks as though the BBC has finally got permission to broadcast the programme again after a long-running rights dispute with Disney.
Just heard a trail for this - interesting that they've scheduled it in the sci-fi slot (6pm) rather than the comedy slot.

Does anyone know how the rights issue was resolved? I think I was told that although the BBC had the rights to all the recordings, they couldn't broadcast any of them because Disney had the rights to all the scripts.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I liked the praise from the presenters on Radio 4 Extra's Seventh Dimension for Fits 1 and 2; Dan Mersh calling it "the best thing ever made" and then Toby Hadoke "a radio science fiction classic... the wonderful ..." Of course I'm most interested in the middle of the next part, to see if there are indeed the original extra lines between Eddie's "It'll all end in tears" and Trillian's "Zaphod are you sure you know what you're doing?", that aren't in the CD/audio cassette releases. Then we'll have the original mice to look forward to in the fourth part. I was also intested to hear Dan Mersh mention that it was last on the radio a decade ago. I'm enjoying it's current presence on the radio, as I'm very fond of all the versions.

(The only version I don't know is the computer game, and I also enjoy listening to Douglas Adams reading his own books.)

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

The computer game was mentioned on Radio 4 Extra tonight at 6.30 and was described as an interactive novel. I'm still apprehensive about going anywhere near computer games!

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

You shouldn't be. There are some brilliant ones. I would never recommend boring shoot-'em-ups, but the world of computer games is wonderfully diverse, and there's always something for you somewhere.

This one, however, is almost certainly not it! It's infamous in gaming circles for being insanely difficult. I'm sure some people have made headway with it, but most of us ended up wanting to hurl the cassette across the room. Have a go. At one time it was practically a right of passage.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I'm not a computer gamer either, but I was intrigued/amused to hear from someone a while ago that there's one based on Andrei Tarkovsky's film Stalker, a film I admire but just about the slowest movie ever made.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I've just listened to my recording from 6pm, Radio 4 Extra, of episode 3 and am really pleased that the part including Pink Floyd music and the great description of the surface of Magarathea etc. are there. I like to have original recordings of things. It's as in the script linked to on Mr. Whitham's third webpage except (and I think this is getting needlessly messianic!) that Arthur doesn't say "Where's Zaphod?"

Part of the script:
ARTHUR It's only just getting through to me... a whole alien world,
millions of light years from home. Pity it's such a dump though.
Where's Zaphod?

ZAPHOD (Calling from a distance) Hey! Just beyond this ridge you can see
the remains of an ancient city.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

And, coming up this Saturday on Radio 4 at 10.15am:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xky8s

"Some of the most enduring characters ever created for radio will be heard in a special, live broadcast from London's BBC Radio Theatre, as part of Character Invasion.

The two-headed smooth-talking alien Zaphod Beeblebrox, bemused Earthling Arthur Dent, and Marvin the Paranoid Android will relive some of their adventures, with a very special appearance by the original producer John Lloyd as The Voice of the Book."

I haven't quite worked out what "Character Invasion" is all about - it seems as though various characters from TV and elsewhere will be popping up on Radio 4 all day. Sounds decidedly odd.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Radio 4 Extra yesterday broadcast the final episode of the second Radio Series (Fit the Twelfth). Having listened to it, it is the remixed re-edited version on the CD release. For the first Radio Series repeat they used the original broadcast, so I am surprised and quite dissapointed that I still don't have the original ep 12 !

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

That's interesting.

I've been thinking a long time about where my off-air cassette recordings of the radio series are lying. My recording had the bit with the segment from Shine on you Crazy Diamond, heard as Zaphod speaks dramatically of exploring the planet interior, and Arthur telling him he's got a robot that sounds like Pink Floyd. You also get Zaphod's dramatic talk accompanied by Thus Spoke Zarathustra (the 2001 theme) which stops suddenly as Zaphod says "Can it, Marvin". The Floyd music has clearly gone from later versions of the episode. Can't remember if Zarathustra has too, I haven't checked my CD copies recently.

Good to hear the recent repeat includes the Floyd bit.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Gary C wrote:.....................I worked at the BBC Transcription Service for the first 6 years of my working life.......I know we issued HHGTTG on LP disc for radio satations abroard. I'm wondering if these edited versions the guy has (and indeed the BBC cd boxed set, which I've had for aeons, too) were taken from the Transcription edits?? Is it definite that there were re-edited versions for Radio 4 (separate from the TS edits)?
Sorry I can't answer your question. There were the original Radio 4 broadcasts and Jack Whitham has "compared the CD version against original off-air recordings". Having studied the differences he mentions, and recorded the episodes with differences from the recent Radio 4 Extra broadcasts, I find that Radio 4 Extra used the original broadcasts of Series One, and the CD version of Series Two. I have now restored my final episode of Series 2,"Fit the 12th" with the six differences. I did this on VHS by splicing (not physically!).

Liked the Lintilla, Allitnil bit and what the marraige certificates actually were; Douglas gave us some good fun, putting it when Arthur is in the middle of a fight. The stereo sound effects are great too.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

To end the final episode of Radio 2's "Sounds of the 20th Century" last night, with a jet-propelled journey back from 2000 to 1951, I was really pleased that one year was remembered by "This is the story of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy"! It all went so fast I'm not sure if it was for the Radio Series in 1978 or the TV series; a good mention in any case.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Sounds interesting, I'll have a listen.

Still no sign of the later Radio series turning up on 4ex, I wonder if there's a problem.?

I have the CD sets, of course, but after all the years of the first two series being absent, it's the later ones missing now, odd.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

As I can’t find a cast list (or photos of the back covers) for the two LP versions of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, I‘ve made a list (I've collected these names from now-unknown sources in attempts searching the internet over a long time). It's very likey that the cast spoke several parts. If anybody knows the cast, knows if the back of the LP covers has a cast list or can make additions/corrections – that would be great!

I think the records are of interest for lots of reasons including the different interpretation and as they have some unique material.

Original Records Double LP, mostly follows radio eps 1-4
Narrator/Book - Peter Jones
Arthur - Simon Jones
Mr. Prosser -
Ford - Geoffrey McGivern
Barman - Stephen Moore
Vogon Jeltz -
(no Vogon guard)
Trillian - Cindy Oswin
Zaphod - Mark Wing-Davey
Marvin - Stephen Moore
Doors -
Newsman -
Gag Halfront -
Magrathean PA – Douglas Adams
Eddie 1 -
Eddie 2 -
Whale -
Boom-Boom? -
Slartibartfast - Richard Vernon
Deep Thought - Valentine Dyall
Majikthise - Jim Broadbent
Vroomvondle - Bill Wallis
Descendant 1 - David Tate
Descendant 2 –
Public Announcer -
Mouse 1 – Peter Hawkins
Mouse 2 – David Tate
Policeman 1 -
Policeman 2 -

Original Records Single LP, mostly follows TV eps 5-6
Arthur - Simon Jones
Ford - Geoffrey McGivern
Zaphod - Mark Wing-Davey
Trillian - Cindy Oswin
Marvin - Stephen Moore
Compere - Roy Hudd
Hotblack’s Bodyguard - Stephen Greif
Reg Nullify –
No 1 -
No 2 -
Captain -
Marketing - Loueen Willoughby
Meeting Man -
Cave Man -

Cast includes :
Anthony Sharp, Frank Middlemass, Graham De wilde

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

Private Frazer wrote:(or photos of the back covers) for the two LP versions of The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy,
'ere we go:

H2G2 LP

TRATEOTU LP

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I have the LP's, they are good, but I would put them in fourth place after Radio, TV, and books.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for the feedback!

Can make out Frank Middlemass, so far, on the single LP back cover (red on blue difficult!) but the other one is clearer. Have also found a Wikipedia list. So to update -

Double LP cover credits (from above link to double-LP back cover):
Simon Jones – Arthur Dent
Geoffrey McGivern – Ford Prefect
Mark Wing-Davey – Zaphod Beeblebrox
Cindy Oswin – Trillian and Computer Operator
Stephen Moore – Marvin, the Paranoid Android
and also the Whale, the Barman, Benjy Mouse,
Shooty and Gag Halfront
Richard Vernon - Slartibartfast
Valentine Dyall – Deep Thought
David Tate – Eddie, and also Majikthise, Hak-4/illegible
Computer Operator, Frankie Mouse
Jim Broadbent – Vroomfondel, Bang-Bang
Bill Wallis – Vogon Captain, Mr. Prosser
and
Peter Jones – The Book

So one of my mice (Peter Hawkins) was presumably wrong!
The descendants of Vroomfondel and Majikthise, speaking to Deep Thought after 7.5 million years, don't seem to have been given any names (but, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, because they sound no different, its the same actors).
The Doors say "Thank You" a few times (around 39mins from the start of the LP) and really should be included (who is it?)!

Others (from Wikipedia cast lists:
Newsreader – Rayner Bourton
Magrathean Message Voice – Richard Vernon
Magrathean PA – Douglas Adams
Garkbit – Anthony Sharp
(only possibly!, as Wikipedia has Frankie Mouse/Benjy Mouse actors swapped)

And an updated Original Records Single LP list
Arthur - Simon Jones
Ford - Geoffrey McGivern
Zaphod - Mark Wing-Davey
Trillian - Cindy Oswin
Marvin - Stephen Moore
Compere=Max Quordlepleen - Roy Hudd
Hotblack’s Bodyguard - Stephen Greif
Reg Nullify – Graham de Wilde
Great Prophet Zarquon – Anthony Sharp
Number 1 – David Tate
Number 2 - Stephen Greif
Captain – Frank Middlemass
Marketing - Leueen Willoughby
Management Consultant – David Tate
Hairdresser – Stephen Greif
Cave Man - who grunted!

(Wikipedia list David Tate as Bodyguard, but Stephen Greif was listed somewhere else)

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Excellent work, all.

Now, can anyone tell me who are Disaster Area on the "It's Only the End of the World Again" single? Rumour has it that Rusty Egan was involved, and DNA plays rhythm guitar.

I love this song and would love to know more about it. I love how it fits the "boy being meets girl being under a silvery moon that then explodes for no apparent reason" theme and the inclusion of multiple 'Don't Panic"s. The title is great and even some of the lyrics are pretty good ("I bought you everything that money buys/But all I ever got was teenage lies"). I'm not even sure I know who wrote it.

I'd also like to hear the song(s) recorded for the unreleased third Marvin single.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That Wiki credit for Newsreader must be a typo, they mean Raynour Bourton,( for the TV series) although it doesn't sound like him on the LP.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bodie wrote:Excellent work, all.

Now, can anyone tell me who are Disaster Area on the "It's Only the End of the World Again" single? Rumour has it that Rusty Egan was involved, and DNA plays rhythm guitar.

I love this song and would love to know more about it. I love how it fits the "boy being meets girl being under a silvery moon that then explodes for no apparent reason" theme and the inclusion of multiple 'Don't Panic"s. The title is great and even some of the lyrics are pretty good ("I bought you everything that money buys/But all I ever got was teenage lies"). I'm not even sure I know who wrote it.

I'd also like to hear the song(s) recorded for the unreleased third Marvin single.
Those Marvin songs are great, as is the DIsaster Area one, but Reg Nulify wouldn't score on the old clapometer, would he!

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Bodie wrote:Now, can anyone tell me who are Disaster Area on the "It's Only the End of the World Again" single? Rumour has it that Rusty Egan was involved, and DNA plays rhythm guitar. [...] I'm not even sure I know who wrote it.
In a comment to the 'video' of this track posted on a site we're not allowed to mention here, Rusty Egan said that he was talked into doing it by his friend Peter Godwin (one of the people credited with the composition). Godwin (quoted by Egan) also states that Glen Matlock (ex-Sex Pistols) was on it as well.

Who the 'Wight' listed as the other composer is is not clear; some have suggested it was DNA's psuedonym for the exercise. It's also not clear whether Adams played guitar, bass or even truant on the track.