The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Bodie
625 lines

Re: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Post by Bodie »

I'll have to locate the video you speak of. I'm chuffed to learn Glen Matlock was probably involved.

Actually, I've seen a few interviews with Mr Matlock which I assume are at his house and he's got a poster for "The Rebel" with Tony Hancock up on the wall, so I'm sure he'd fit in well here!

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

So Long and Thanks For All The Fish - A fan's quick review and, hopefully, advert for it.

I could listen to Douglas Adams reading his fourth Hitchhiker book any number of times. You never know how long or short the next of the forty chapters is going to be (by the way there is, as he would put it, one ‘gratuitous use’ of a word at the end of Chapter 25).

It was great to start with Arthur back on Earth in familiar settings (roads, home, the pub, work) and include so many, what feels like, stored up funny little stories. To mention only a very few there’s the Rob McKenna character’s situation, the comical asides during the awkwardness of speaking to Fenny’s brother giving him a lift and then the ridiculous suggestion that he go back to work when hedgehogs come out of hibernation! I can just imagine Douglas thinking he might tell his publisher that was when the book would be finished. That’s just the start of the book; the humour goes on and on and so this book in my opinion, as was said of another writer's work, never stales. It's also far more poetic than the other books. I love the different sources of inspiration the author uses. Here’s one of Arthur’s thoughts about Fenny: ‘He wanted to say something along the lines “Thy Knotted and combined locks part and each particular hair to stand on end like quills upon the fretful porpentine”, but didn’t think he could carry it off … and didn’t like the hedgehog reference’. What I really like about it most is wrapping all this enjoyment around a boy meets girl story. The old familiar themes are not missing however; Ford is out in the Galaxy and also has quite interesting situations and Marvin eventually reappears.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

In advance of the new series starting this Thursday to mark HHGTTG's 40th anniversary, tonight at 8pm on Radio 4 there's an Archive on 4 documentary where John Lloyd - former flatmate, friend and collaborator of Douglas Adams - looks through some of Adams' private papers detailing his difficulties in writing the series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tbl2s

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I'll listen to his 'Meaning of Liff' collaborator tonight!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Very much enjoyed reading Kevin Davies' recollections of the set-up for the TV pilot screening on his new blog here:

https://kjd42.wordpress.com/2018/03/08/under-the-table-with-peter-jones/#comments

All the best

Andrew

dprisoner
405 lines

Post by dprisoner »

I had completely forgotten that Susan Sheridan had passed away, and was confused when she was credited with one of the Trillians (archive material, naturally) and then the episode was dedicated to her. Also a pity that Stephen Moore couldn't be coaxed into coming out of retirement for this. Jim Broadbent didn't really do it justice (I'd have taken Alan Rickman from the film if he hadn't passed away...)

I would only rate this episode as okay. Too much of it was taken up with recapping the previous episode, and then too much was taken up with John Lloyd describing too much (take the octopoid masseuse, the character effectively communicated what was described just a minute or so earlier!)

We'll have to see how the remaining Fits go...

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

There was a surprise 42nd anniversary last week for THHGG. Listened to the affectionate intro's and hadn't heard Douglas on 'Bookclub' before. But it was being reminded of some of the differences to the TV version when catching the end of the Radio episodes that was also interesting; on hearing the answer (to the ultimate question of life, the universe and .. everything) "you know what's going to happen. We're going to get lynched". Like both!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Hadn't spotted these, thanks!

You get used to all the differences between the series, I quite like all that stuff with Hotblack Desiato, for instance.

It's about time there was a really decent Radio doc about the whole kit and Kaboodle!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:55 pm
It's about time there was a really decent Radio doc about the whole kit and Kaboodle!
Like this one, you mean? (It was repeated in the Archive on 4 slot last month.)

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Trivia :
… after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry... (Mathew, 3, 11) and possibly adapted for Deep thought!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 am
Mark wrote:
Ooh Ta!...missed that first time around, look forward to that!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Private Frazer wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 am
Trivia :
… after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry... (Mathew, 3, 11) and possibly adapted for Deep thought!
Sounds very likely...nice spot!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 am
Brock wrote:
Mark wrote:
Well you can't say you weren't told! (See this post earlier in the thread.)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:33 am
Mark wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 am
Brock wrote:

Well you can't say you weren't told! (See this post earlier in the thread.)
Oh yes, I did see that, but just never got round to it, at least you get longer to listen know.!

The script book should get a re-release as well.