Hancock

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Post Reply
ozsat
625 lines
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Oxford

Hancock

Post by ozsat »

From next Friday (31 Oct) - Radio 4 will have a series of 5 re-made lost Hancock's at 11.30am

The first episode will be followed by a special on 4 Extra at 12pm.


On 1st Nov on 4 Extra - the 3-hour special they have weekly will be a Hancock special presented by Steve Punk - this is first on at 9am but is repeated later in the day.
It features:
Face to Face – the complete interview conducted by John Freeman for the BBC TV series in 1960.
‘Ancock’s Anthology – a miscellany of Hancock’s favourite music, interview and self-voiced readings (1964)
The Missing Page – originally a TV episode and re-recorded in 1965 for release on record.
Educating Archie – from 1951
Hancock’s Half Hour – Series 1, Episode 1

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

ozsat wrote:From next Friday (31 Oct) - Radio 4 will have a series of 5 re-made lost Hancock's at 11.30am
With Kevin McNally as Hancock: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ly3xv
On 1st Nov on 4 Extra - the 3-hour special they have weekly will be a Hancock special presented by Steve Punk - this is first on at 9am but is repeated later in the day.
Did Steve Punk ever work with Dennis the Menace?

Brian F
D-MAC
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Brian F »

See everyone else is just credited as actor so I assume they are playing multiple parts. Only one writer credited - was this before the Galton & Simpton team?

User avatar
BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am
Location: Leicester, teleported from Wales

Re: Hancock

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

ozsat wrote:From next Friday (31 Oct) - Radio 4 will have a series of 5 re-made lost Hancock's at 11.30am

The first episode will be followed by a special on 4 Extra at 12pm.


On 1st Nov on 4 Extra - the 3-hour special they have weekly will be a Hancock special presented by Steve Punk - this is first on at 9am but is repeated later in the day.
It features:
Face to Face – the complete interview conducted by John Freeman for the BBC TV series in 1960.
‘Ancock’s Anthology – a miscellany of Hancock’s favourite music, interview and self-voiced readings (1964)
The Missing Page – originally a TV episode and re-recorded in 1965 for release on record.
Educating Archie – from 1951
Hancock’s Half Hour – Series 1, Episode 1
I had no idea this episode had been re-made/recorded; it's my favourite of the tv shows. A little digging has found it's on the album below and with all the many 1,000s of records that have passed through my hands over the decades (both as a collector and working in a shop) I'm surprised to never have seen this about as his LPs generally sold very well...

Image

Pity they chose that picture; never seen him look quite so awful. :(

User avatar
Rory Clark
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Rory Clark »

BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote: Pity they chose that picture; never seen him look quite so awful. :(
When you hear the 1965 remake you’ll never have heard him sound so awful.
... and a right looking ponce no one's ever heard of.

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

Brian F wrote:See everyone else is just credited as actor so I assume they are playing multiple parts.
Since there are four actors credited (Kevin Eldon, Simon Greenall, Robin Sebastian and Susy Kane) I presume they correspond one-to-one with the original cast (Bill Kerr, Sid James, Kenneth Williams and Andrée Melly), though I'm not sure who's who. Kenneth Williams played multiple parts but I don't think the others did.
Only one writer credited - was this before the Galton & Simpton team?
Ray Galton and Alan Simpson are both credited as writers - did you miss something?

User avatar
BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am
Location: Leicester, teleported from Wales

Re: Hancock

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

Rory Clark wrote:
BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote: Pity they chose that picture; never seen him look quite so awful. :(
When you hear the 1965 remake you’ll never have heard him sound so awful.
I couldn't believe it today - I actually found the LP, a couple of hours after I posted here! Maybe I wasn't just conscious of its existence before and had seen it but let it go over my head?? I do wonder now if I have a vague recollection of Sid being asked back to do this, in a Hancock biography...

I've not played it yet and feel I *have* to. I can't say I was very hopeful for it in the first place, in all honesty.

User avatar
Rory Clark
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Rory Clark »

BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote:I've not played it yet and feel I *have* to. I can't say I was very hopeful for it in the first place, in all honesty.
It's worth a listen as it's a significant chapter in the Hancock story - his last professional engagement with Sid - but it reveals a sadly diminished Hancock.
... and a right looking ponce no one's ever heard of.

TonyCurrie
625 lines
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 am

Re: Hancock

Post by TonyCurrie »

Interesting that the album was made for Decca. Previous re-makes of 'Hancock's Half-Hour' for discs were done by Pye, with Tony Hatch as producer.

User avatar
BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am
Location: Leicester, teleported from Wales

Re: Hancock

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

TonyCurrie wrote:Interesting that the album was made for Decca. Previous re-makes of 'Hancock's Half-Hour' for discs were done by Pye, with Tony Hatch as producer.
I didn't know about Tony Hatch, but then it's a long time since I had copies of these LPs (though one was a 'Golden Hour' reissue) it makes sense. :)

I'm going to give this record a spin this afternoon - I have played a minute or so of The Missing Page to see how the record itself sounds and he does sound like he'd imbibed a considerable amount before (maybe during as well) the recording as he's slurring and sounds half asleep...

A little, OT - but I thought I'd mention that looking at the back of the sleeve, there's a Kenneth Williams one, plus Pete & Dud and two I've not been aware of before - one called 'The World Of British Comedy' and another 'The Crazy World Of Marty Feldman.' Makes me wonder how many other comedy albums in this series were released - though I'm sure Discogs is soon to give me a good idea of that. I've seen and owned others besides these and I'd be VERY happy to find the ones I've listed.

Brian F
D-MAC
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Brian F »

Brock wrote: Ray Galton and Alan Simpson are both credited as writers - did you miss something?
Must have been looking through the wrong part of my bi-focals I can see it now with glasses off.

User avatar
Lee Rose
405 lines
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Lee Rose »

4 Extra are also repeating Hancock's Last Half Hour on the 28th.

User avatar
BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am
Location: Leicester, teleported from Wales

Re: Hancock

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

Rory Clark wrote:
BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote:I've not played it yet and feel I *have* to. I can't say I was very hopeful for it in the first place, in all honesty.
It's worth a listen as it's a significant chapter in the Hancock story - his last professional engagement with Sid - but it reveals a sadly diminished Hancock.
I've played the first side now and although he was far from firing on all cylinders, I did begin to enjoy it from 5 or so minutes in.The spark was still just about there - some of the time - and I'm almost certain he was having a bit of fun ad-libbing at one point; that gave me a good laugh. His timing wasn't dreadful IMO, a little sluggish but most often quite sharp - all things considered. I'd not tell anyone (apart from newbies, perhaps) to avoid this at all... just be to be aware. :) I thought he largely got better as the episode went on.

So now, I'm very much looking forward to switching the radio on at 11.25 tomorrow morning.

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote: So now, I'm very much looking forward to switching the radio on at 11.25 tomorrow morning.
Well I hope you enjoy listening to Martin Jarvis's performance of "Jeeves Takes Charge" at 11.30. The Hancocks don't start until next week.

User avatar
BobDylan'sGrandmother
405 lines
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am
Location: Leicester, teleported from Wales

Re: Hancock

Post by BobDylan'sGrandmother »

Brock wrote:
BobDylan'sGrandmother wrote: So now, I'm very much looking forward to switching the radio on at 11.25 tomorrow morning.
Well I hope you enjoy listening to Martin Jarvis's performance of "Jeeves Takes Charge" at 11.30. The Hancocks don't start until next week.
That sounds ok, but I don't know... I just opened the thread to see it is indeed from the 31st ! It's that 'From next Friday' (which I was always told is the one about to arrive - same week) that threw me. :D

User avatar
jubbely
405 lines
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 am

Re: Hancock

Post by jubbely »

I enjoyed the Matador very much, its just a shame the Sid voice was so far off the original when the others were so well done. Looking forward to the next one.

DuncanS
405 lines
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by DuncanS »

I thought The Matador was brilliant, still hysterical 50 years on. The Newspaper wasnt so good.

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

jubbely wrote:I enjoyed the Matador very much, its just a shame the Sid voice was so far off the original when the others were so well done.
I agree - it reminded me of Graham Stark's disappointing stint as Walker in the radio version of Dad's Army after James Beck died. Which actor was it - Kevin Eldon or Simon Greenall? The credits don't make it clear.

I thought that Robin Sebastian, the actor who did Kenneth Williams' various voices, was absolutely brilliant, since he had a harder task than the others. I hadn't come across him before but apparently he's portrayed Kenneth Williams in several stage productions, including Round the Horne. He was interviewed in the final item of last week's Feedback (starts about 22:30):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006slnx

Dave Homewood
405 lines
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Dave Homewood »

It was interesting how Eccles from The Goon Show turned up in the current episode, The Hancock Festival. Eccles was such a wonderful character but I never realised he strayed into other shows like this. I wonder if it would have been Spike Milligan doing the voice in the original broadcast or just one of the regular Hancock cast?

The voices in these remakes are fantastic recreations, everything about them is spot on, even the timing and little nuances - EXCEPT for the chap playing Sid James. What a shame he's so wide of the mark, it does somewhat ruin the effect. But gosh the blokes playing Tony and Bill and Kenneth are spot on!

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

Dave Homewood wrote: The voices in these remakes are fantastic recreations, everything about them is spot on, even the timing and little nuances - EXCEPT for the chap playing Sid James.
It turns out to be Simon Greenall. I learned this when listening to the "Director's Commentary" version of The Matador, which is well worth a listen - the recording is interspersed with interviews with Kevin McNally and co-producer Neil Pearson. Among other things I found out that the incidental music was specially re-recorded and that the sound effects were done live on stage!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mlkw2

Bodie
625 lines
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Re: Hancock

Post by Bodie »

Dave Homewood wrote:It was interesting how Eccles from The Goon Show turned up in the current episode, The Hancock Festival. Eccles was such a wonderful character but I never realised he strayed into other shows like this. I wonder if it would have been Spike Milligan doing the voice in the original broadcast or just one of the regular Hancock cast?
According to the Hancock Lost Episodes book, it was never part of the original script. Milligan happened to be in the studios when they were recording and wandered in, adlibbing as Eccles for a bit before going off again. Interesting to see they've gone as far as recreating a wholly unplanned interruption!

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Brock »

Bodie wrote: According to the Hancock Lost Episodes book, it was never part of the original script. Milligan happened to be in the studios when they were recording and wandered in, adlibbing as Eccles for a bit before going off again. Interesting to see they've gone as far as recreating a wholly unplanned interruption!
If there's no recording, and it wasn't in the script, how do they know what he said?

And who did the voice in the re-creation?

Dave Homewood
405 lines
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 am

Re: Hancock

Post by Dave Homewood »

That is brilliant about Spike wandering in ad-libbing. he did this a lot it seems. While visiting New Zealand in the 1970's he was to be interviewed on BCNZ's radio station after the news. While the newsreader was reading the headlines Spike was interjecting with his own thoughts on the news and doing funny voices. I have heard this replayed on Radio New Zealand a few times in recent years and I think RNZ treats it as one of their favourite possessions, as the newsreader is completely dead pan and ignoring him - I don't know how he managed it.

And a recently replayed documentary on BBC Radio 4 Extra had Spike doing the exact same thing to another radio newsreader in Aussie. He must have made a habit of seeing how people reacted under pressure. Pure genius.

Post Reply