The Clitheroe Kid R4Ex

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Mark
Committee

The Clitheroe Kid R4Ex

Post by Mark »

Following on from the recent 'new' edition of "Educating Archie", there seems to be some additions to "The Clitheroe Kid".

"Mind My Bike", and " I Shot An Arrow In The Air" are Ep's 3 and 4 from series 2, in 1959, predating the usual earliest one, "Clitheroe And The Hound-Dog" (S2E7).

Good ol' R4ex..once again..!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

JWG
D-MAC

Re: The Clitheroe Kid R4Ex

Post by JWG »

"Mind My Bike" was one of Jack Warner's catch-phrases,of course.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

JWG wrote:"Mind My Bike" was one of Jack Warner's catch-phrases,of course.
Ah...of course...so the inspiration for the title, interesting!

The quality is very good, doesn't sound like a domestic recording, these two episodes are not on any list I have seen, of surviving episodes.

Although the lists are not always accurate , for example the very last episode from 1972, is always listed as a domestic recording, but the BBC repeated it late 70's/early 80's.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

While I SHOT AN ARROW IN THE AIR will be "new", MIND MY BIKE got a R7 repeat back in September 2007.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007wvh4

The final episode was repeated in R2's COMEDY CLASSICS in July 1983.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Both editions were issued by Transcription Services

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was "Beware Of the Bike" from 1967, that was broadcast in 2007, which, admittedly is a remake of "Mind my Bike", but this is the original, so a mistake on the iplayer page, it would seem.

There is supposed to be a domestic copy of "No Match For The Kid" (S2E2), but these two episodes (along with the "Educating Archie" edition, I assume) are a nice surprise from TS.

The very last episode, must also be from TS, couldn't remember if it was repeated as a "Smash Of The Day" or "Comedy Classics", 1983 though...I remember listening to it.!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

So 'tis! Sorry about that - I did record the original run or two of R7 repeats, (the Sound Archive editions originally, and then a run of TS copies IIRC), but have to admit CLITHEROE isn't a favourite and I haven't kept my eye on further repeats.

I doubt the late 60s one with the Asian shopkeeper is ever going to get another airing though.

MIND MY BIKE didn't sound that great.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Shame there doesn't seem to be anything from the pilot series.

There's another 'new' episode following "Arrow", it's the next episode from series 2 in fact, ep 5, "Cupid And The Black-Hand Gang", that's three in a row...none of which feature on any lists I have.

Would love to know exactly which ones, TS have.!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

As far as I know, there were 154 editions released by Transcription Services. There was a major change at the organisation in the mid 50s which lead to a revamp of what recordings were available and new catalogues - these start with edition 14. Much of the material prior to this change was either junked or re-numbered and included in the newer sets of discs, with drama and features being the most likely to survive.

The editions recently broadcast by R4X are from this first 13 that no catalogues appear to exist for. The episode The Prize Fool did make it to a Best Of Clitheroe re-issue, and my records show that this must either have come from the first 13 editions or been a later one re-titled. It wasn't unheard for for TS to actually record their own versions of shows (this is the case for Hancock and Round The Horne), so it is possible that the same happened with Clitheroe. It isn't a series I particularly enjoy, so I haven't done the necessary research into it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thank's for that ,fascinating stuff.

As far as I know, scripts were remade, when gaps appeared in most of the series, right up to the end, so there were variations in casts.

154 episodes is intriguing, with the three 'new' ones, on at the moment I have 185 episodes listed, many of those listed as domestic recordings are likely to exist as TS recordings anyway.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Transcription Services almost never took whole series - even runs of 13 in the UK were often whittled down to 6 or 8 shows for TS issue. A lot of this was to do with the content - topical gags didn't necessarily travel - but a lot was down to what sort of packages sold.

You are quite right that a lot in the Sound Archive will be TS recordings. When I had the good fortune to visit Sound Archives some years back had a look along the shelves and it was quite enlightening to see just how many TS discs were amongst those pressed for archives.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

You'll all be aware of this site: https://web.archive.org/web/20141121235 ... epgui.html but it's nice to look at the episodes that are listed as missing...and are now on the radio.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

stearn wrote:Transcription Services almost never took whole series - even runs of 13 in the UK were often whittled down to 6 or 8 shows for TS issue. A lot of this was to do with the content - topical gags didn't necessarily travel - but a lot was down to what sort of packages sold.

You are quite right that a lot in the Sound Archive will be TS recordings. When I had the good fortune to visit Sound Archives some years back had a look along the shelves and it was quite enlightening to see just how many TS discs were amongst those pressed for archives.
Ah right, so rarely complete series then.!

As an example of another series, "Life With The Lyons", there's about a dozen or so that 4ex repeat, but there was the story of someone (an engineer.?) having over 200 original episodes, but I assume there are many in TS..?
JWG wrote:You'll all be aware of this site: https://web.archive.org/web/20141121235 ... epgui.html but it's nice to look at the episodes that are listed as missing...and are now on the radio.
Yes, that is probably the basis of one of the lists I have, however there is no mention of the various formats of the episodes (I noticed the page is archived now).

Also, the episodes, S11E8 "Why Boys Leave Home" and S11E9 "The Pianist And His Fiddle", both from 1967 and S12E17 "The One That Couldn't Lose" from 1969, are missing according to that and other lists, but I noticed that they exist as home recordings, in the British Library Sound Archive (the catalogue is online) and from the same chap's collection is an episode of "The Men From The Ministry", S1E12 "Problem In the Park", also listed as missing ( I think) from the BBC.

But without knowing for sure what's in TS, it can be confusing.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Yep,there are problems with some of the older Clitheroe Kid websites,as discussed here: http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/th ... es-website though I can't claim to understand it very well!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I remember that, it was suggested that the haul of home recordings may be recovered episodes, but most are likely to exist as TS recordings (including the very last one).

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

LWTL: Ben Lyon had the shows recorded and the reels of tape were offered to the BBC (I'm guessing after his death) but they declined as they had enough shows for their purposes. The late Barry Hill (who founded ORCA) took them all and copies are safe and well (even if Barry no longer is!).

Before anyone cries foul, the BBC, in the guise of Transcription Services, issued a tonne of the shows, and they were probably all tucked up nicely in the archive in broadcast quality. Of course, the subtle difference between an edited TS edition and the original broadcast transmission would be lost on most people, and it would be easy to assume an off-air would be lower quality.

Both Why Boys Leave Home and The One That Couldn't Lose were issued by Transcription Services. I believe that MFTM: Problem In The Park is in circulation, but it is a while since I last listened to the series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the info, I was hoping there would be a fair few "LWTL" still around, and that original episode of "MFTM" was one of the 1980 TS remakes, so good to know both versions exist now.

Of course, one of the advantages of having the off-airs alongside the TS copies, it allows Mr Wickham to restore the complete programmes, as with the last and latest repeat of "Doctor In The House", amongst others.

Although, unfortunately I read he is also not a fan of "TCK", so possibly no restorations of those.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

TCK is an, er, acquired taste, and one that Keith and I haven't bothered to acquire. That said, if there is restoration possible, Keith will go the extra mile to get it done, as will I to hunt down additional sources and do any necessary research. The work is no longer work when it is something you really enjoy - Round The Horne, TIFH, ISIRTA - which is just as well as the man hours that go into restoring a show are incredible.

I have been fortunate enough to accumulate a vast quantity of TS discs that can be used as the base for any restoration work, so we don't have to listen to ALL copies of recordings. In the case of TCK, that would lead to insanity ;)

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Further to my previous posts, it seems I do have details for at least 8 of the first 13 TS issues:

01 I Shot An Arrow In The Air
02 Mind My Bike
03 Cupid and the Black Hand Gang
04 Clitheroe and the Hound Dog (also held in Sound Archives)
05 Girl Trouble
06 The Trouble With Higginbottom
07 The Tale of a Cat
08 Clitheroe's Merry-Go-Round

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it has become something of a marmite series (10 million listeners at it's peak) and it was a regular Sunday lunchtime appointment for me, back in the day, but I like most radio comedies, to be honest, everything from "ITMA" to the "The Ken Dodd Show".

4ex come up with some great rarities, I have to say, "Sid And Dora", "It's a Deal" and "A Date With Nurse Dugdale", so it's always worth keeping a look out.

Thanks for that TS list, VERY interesting, some more surprises there, although I did wonder if "Hound-Dog" was also a TS recording ( I have a list of about 15 "TCK" episodes in the sound archive).

I don't have to worry about the sanity problem listening to them, that went ages ago!

"TCK" has a similar feel to a favourite film of mine "The Love Match" (also with Danny Ross) great stuff.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I can cope with most radio comedy, but I do have to draw the line somewhere. I can't remember which episode of Round The Horne has the phrase 'we have a script of the Clitheroe Kid here, and aren't afraid to use it' - that has summed it up for me.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

If you can watch all the episodes of "Yus My Dear", back to back, you can cope with anything.!

I seem to recall "ISIRTA" also had a pop at 'The Kid', once or twice as well.

As brilliant as "RTH" is, "BOK" just edges it for me, dunno why!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I haven't done the Yus My Dear marathon - I value my eyesight too much. I haven't even bought the discs in case I succumb to temptation in a drunken stupor. I did try Romany Jones, just the once, and think I got away without lasting damage.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The next one on that TS list, "Girl Trouble" , (remade as "Help-It's A Girl") has appeared as coming up, so it looks like we should be getting those first eight at least, hopefully some more besides.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

4ex are continuing where they left off with "TCK", the episode "Clitheroe's Merry Go Round" that Stearn mentioned was on last week, with "All At Sea" (today) and "Nothing But The Truth" next week, both are not on my list survival list, so a nice surprise.

They seem to have skipped, "May The Best Man Win" ( Alfie's Debut) so despite various listings for this one, available to listen to, it must the s9 remake "The Evils Of Tomato Juice".

A poster on ME, suggests there are now 211 episodes, but my listing accounts for about 192, I hope mine wrong!

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Does the Northern Variety Parade episode from 1956 exist?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

One thing about the mixed popularity of this series. I bought a 4 episode on a 2 cassette set of this at an HMV sale in the Oxford Street shop, many years ago before sales of CD sets of radio series had taken off. It had been reduced in steps (seen from the stickers on it) from £9.99 to 99p.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ozsat wrote:Does the Northern Variety Parade episode from 1956 exist?
No, don't think so.

Earliest one seems to be S2E2 "No Match For The Kid" 5/1/59, a domestic recording.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:One thing about the mixed popularity of this series. I bought a 4 episode on a 2 cassette set of this at an HMV sale in the Oxford Street shop, many years ago before sales of CD sets of radio series had taken off. It had been reduced in steps (seen from the stickers on it) from £9.99 to 99p.
I always thought it was a glorious celebration of childhood, 10 million listeners at it's peak.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

As if Britain isn't suffering enough, more new-to-R4X episodes of THE CLITHEROE KID from the 9th June...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005tl5