Ray's a Laugh - new to 4 Extra

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
ozsat
625 lines

Ray's a Laugh - new to 4 Extra

Post by ozsat »

An episode not played before on 4Extra is on 22 May - Will Ted be able to get over the shock after a new employee arrives? Stars Ted Ray and Kitty Bluett. From October 1958.

The only one that have had before with that date was 'about the new golf clubs'.

ozsat
625 lines

Re: Ray's a Laugh - new to 4 Extra

Post by ozsat »

BBC say it is from 3 Oct 1958

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Glad to hear some more of these, (although it's replacing "TCK", sadly, for me anyway).

4ex are certainly raiding the TS cupboard, at the moment, I much prefer these later editions, with Kenneth Connor,and a single storyline.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

9/2 this week, (3-10-58), and 9/4 next week - 9/5 is the edition that has been on before.

I'm rather fond of those middle shows from the first series which happily found their way into the Sound Archive, and they still stand up quite well as comedy pieces. Such a shame that so little from the rest of the show's run made it there too, (though hopefully the TS archive is richer).

A bit annoyed that R4X ommited episode 8 of DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE a few weeks back, presumably it's being held over for Christmas.

I'd love to hear more ITMA though: after a couple of decades thinking of it as something "historical importance", the sustained runs of repeats over the past year or so has really made me appreciate just how good thew writing and performances were.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Those early "RAL" shows are very good, with some very funny sketches, I would hope there are more in TS, and the "ITMA" shows are also very entertaining, with that Palace Theatre show most interesting to hear, I think some of the material made it into the film.

I would be surprised if that "DITH" episode does get repeated at Christmas, they only seem to run the Xmas shows if the series runs through the festive period, which is frustrating, as many Xmas specials hardly get a repeat (Such as the "HHH" shows).

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

The edition of RAL on 5th June is from Oct 1959 - so from the following series

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

I think that's a slip-up, and the date should read 31-10-58 - making it show 9/6, (unless it's a typo for a tenth series episode, one of which went out on 30-10-59 of course).

They are getting sloppy - today's J. KINGSTON PLATT on the EPG said it was from 1968, noit 1986.

Talking of which, why have they skipped episode 4 of JKP, "Getting Rid Of A Troublemaker"?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Mark wrote:
I would be surprised if that "DITH" episode does get repeated at Christmas, they only seem to run the Xmas shows if the series runs through the festive period, which is frustrating, as many Xmas specials hardly get a repeat (Such as the "HHH" shows).
Much excitement-well,a little-at White Christmas being shown Not at Christmas! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... liday.html

Sigh.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:I think that's a slip-up, and the date should read 31-10-58 - making it show 9/6, (unless it's a typo for a tenth series episode, one of which went out on 30-10-59 of course).

They are getting sloppy - today's J. KINGSTON PLATT on the EPG said it was from 1968, noit 1986.

Talking of which, why have they skipped episode 4 of JKP, "Getting Rid Of A Troublemaker"?
Doesn't exist AFAIK, it's always left out, unless there is a home recording of course.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

JWG wrote:
Mark wrote:
Much excitement-well,a little-at White Christmas being shown Not at Christmas! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... liday.html

Sigh.
Yes I saw that, it's my fav Xmas film, but I'm certainly not watching it at this time of the year...it would be almost...depressing.!,(perhaps they will show "Summer Holiday" in December).

That said, there are various TV Xmas specials shown at this time, including the "OFAH" ones, just not right though!

But radio Xmas specials rarely get repeated, there were two Xmas Specials of "After Henry", but only one has escaped on 4ex recently when the series was on a couple of Christmas times ago, the one which segued ( word of the day), into "The Queen's Speech".

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:
ian b wrote:?..J. KINGSTON PLATT...

Doesn't exist AFAIK, it's always left out, unless there is a home recording of course.
That's surprising, seeing as it was one of the episodes released by the Radio Collection.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The most continually egregious example of a skipped episode is the final show of the second series of BROTHERS IN LAW - despite circulating in decent quality, R4X always omit it despite it seeing the resolution of Roger Thursby's tangled love life, a plot line that has been a major part of the previous twelve episodes.

It's rather like if they only played the first seven episodes of an eight-part thriller serial...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mark wrote:
ian b wrote:?..J. KINGSTON PLATT...

That's surprising, seeing as it was one of the episodes released by the Radio Collection.
Ah...I had forgotten about that...I was under the impression that it's not in the sound archive, so could it be a TS then, and for what ever reason 4ex don't have it.

I knew about "Brothers In Law", very frustrating, 4ex always omit the Eric Morecambe edition of "How Tickled Am I", these days, but that might be due to a block or rights issues.?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Mark wrote:
JWG wrote:
Mark wrote:

Sigh.
Yes I saw that, it's my fav Xmas film, but I'm certainly not watching it at this time of the year...it would be almost...depressing.!,(perhaps they will show "Summer Holiday" in December).

That said, there are various TV Xmas specials shown at this time, including the "OFAH" ones, just not right though!
Which sort of fits the little-used intro of the song (Got this from the commentary):

The sun is shining, the grass is green
The orange and palm trees sway
There's never been such a day
In Beverly Hills, LA
But it's December the 24th
And I'm longing to be up north

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know.

No,I'll listen to a Christmas episode any time of year-otherwise these things will be as skipped as often as those awkward last episodes which resolve the sitcoms' situations.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

They have changed it to 31 Oct 1958 now
ian b wrote:I think that's a slip-up, and the date should read 31-10-58 - making it show 9/6, (unless it's a typo for a tenth series episode, one of which went out on 30-10-59 of course).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:I would be surprised if that EOCTOR IN THE HOUSE episode does get repeated at Christmas, they only seem to run the Xmas shows if the series runs through the festive period, which is frustrating, as many Xmas specials hardly get a repeat (Such as the "HHH" shows).
They didn't used to skip any festive set editors from a run - the DOCTOR episode was in its correct place during its original R7 outing(s).

HAPPY CHRISTMAS went out originally on the 13th August 1968, so this current policy of skipping such episodes has to be the bee in someone's particular bonnet...

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

If anyone is recoding FLOGGIT'S, which takes over from DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE from next week, then beware that the first show to turn up is always incorrectly stated to be the first show of the series (17-08-56) when in fact it's from much later in the run.

Firstly, Get and Daisy are already running the shop Floggit's which they inherited from a relative - all of which is set-up in the proper opening episode. Secondly, Ron Moody is in it - and he only appeared in five shows towards the end of the run, replacing Anthony Newley. Lastly, the producer is Bill Gates - who took over permanently from Alistair Scott Johnston for the third show onwards. So it's actually either 1/11 (26-10-56), 1/13 (9-11-56) or 1/15 (23-11-56).

The other three episodes are...

show two: (THE TREE)
This is the actual second show, 1/2 from 24-8-56). Producer Alisatir Scott Johnston gives that away.

show three: (BONFIRE NIGHT)
1/12; 2-11-56
Ron Moody in the cast, and Doris Rogers making her only appearance replacing regular Iris Vandeleur. And to put the seal on it, the date is actually mentioned in the show itself.

show four: (THE DOG)
1/14; 16-11-56
Ron Moody in the cast, and Peter Hawkins making his only appearance.

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Now lists as episode from 9 Nov 56

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

1/13 then - thanks for that, I'd probably have missed that correction otherwise.

Continuity weren't impressed by it, noting what they thought was rather muted applause at the end.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mark wrote:I would be surprised if that EOCTOR IN THE HOUSE episode does get repeated at Christmas, they only seem to run the Xmas shows if the series runs through the festive period, which is frustrating, as many Xmas specials hardly get a repeat (Such as the "HHH" shows).
They didn't used to skip any festive set editors from a run - the DOCTOR episode was in its correct place during its original R7 outing(s).

HAPPY CHRISTMAS went out originally on the 13th August 1968, so this current policy of skipping such episodes has to be the bee in someone's particular bonnet...
Yes, it has had only one repeat on 4ex.

The only Xmas specials that seem to get a repeat, during normal runs, are the ones that are not 'Christmassy'.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Before one of the "new" episodes of RAY'S A LAUGH that R4X aired recently the continuity announcer wondered exactly what Ted's office job was. Well, I can reveal that Mr. Trumble owned an...

...advertising agency!

Phew: now we can all sleep soundly.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Must admit, it hadn't even occurred to me, interesting fact nonetheless.

I do like these later shows, though, as we get to hear more of the delightful Kitty Bluett.

Also, with Rosalind Knight in the cast, alongside Connor and Ray, it's a reminder of "Carry On Teacher" from the same time (although she adopts a very different voice for this one).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Rosalind Knight was a replacement for Pat Coombs' "Ursula Prune", who had popped up in series seven and eight and who was desperately convinced that Ted Ray was meant to be her man. That was the only series that Knight did though, as Coombs was back for the tenth and eleventh series, (she was a regular in Arthur Askey's radio show during her year off from LAUGH).

By the time of the ninth series the writers Bernard Botting and Charles Hart had got the thing down pat and, for the most part, just the core cast of Trd Ray, Kitty Blett, Laidman Browne, (who died the same year RAL ended), Rosalind Knight and Kenneth Connor - whose versitility is really on display with, what, three or four characters each episode?

Open with Kitty, in the office with Trumble, a bright idea, Sidney Mincing, more complications, meet another of Connor's characters, things fall apart, "I've done it again!" To end with.

It was marvellous to hear more from the 1958/9 run, and I hope the TS archive holds more may eventually get an outing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Pat Coombs, always great on TV, but her Radio work is quite fascinating too, including one of her specialities...Baby sounds.

Kenneth Connor was (as you say) incredibly versatile, with his voice work, he did the same with "Parsley Sidings", which I noticed, he also had a character who would build up a scene, leading to a pun he could barely say for laughing.

Joan Sims was another ( in "Floggits") with voices ranging from a little girl to an elderly lady, amazing.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Some more 'New to 4ex' episodes coming up.

Starting with a trip to a hypnotist, from 1959.

On Sunday July 21st.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

9/20 then, following on directly from where the last “new” run ended.

I have this noted as “Ted, the fountain of energy”.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Hopefully we'll get the remaining episodes of this series with this run.!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

9/21: Chickens on 28th July.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Great, looking promising!

I have it down as about 19 episodes repeated by 4ex up to the end of the last run, presumably 11 of them are Sound Archives ( 10 pre series 9 and a Jan 1960 episode, "Pay Rise") so perhaps there are no TS copies existing of pre series 9 episodes.?