"All Mouth And Trousers" R4

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Mark
Committee

"All Mouth And Trousers" R4

Post by Mark »

Didn't realise it hadn't been mentioned here, but there's only a day left to listen to this interesting play about the writers attempts to get their "Comedy Playhouse" made, which became the series "All Gas And Gaiters".

It's very good, with a soundalike cast including a great frank Muir from John Sessions.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

AndrewP
625 lines

Re: "All Mouth And Trousers" R4

Post by AndrewP »

It was a terrific programme wasn't it? My wife and I adored this! :)

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was very good, loved the scenes of rehearsals with Nimmo and Mervyn not getting on.

There are more interesting anecdotes in the script book.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

After several runs of the ten radio ALL GAS AND GAITERS episodes retained by the BBC Sound Archive, (plus the latter addition of the first episode strangely), R4X begins a complete outing for the first series of thirteen episodes this Sunday, 20th September.

8:30am, 12:30pm and 8:30pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0082bbs

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's good news, the only run with Derek Nimmo of course.

Funnily enough, I have been listening to some of them recently, and trying to compare them with the missing TV versions.

As you would expect there are some differences, for instance, in "The Bishop Turns To Crime", there was a female character in the TV version, ( no character name in the listing), but not in the Radio adaptation, and sadly it's not one of the scripts covered in the book.

Not surprisingly, the Beatles gag in "The Bishop Rides Again", was not used, out of date by then of course.

There is a lovely mini "Murder Ahoy" re-union in my favourite episode "The Bishop Sees A Ghost", with Mervyn, Nimmo and Gerald Cross ( as the Ghost), it was Patrick Newell in the TV version.

I have also been doing some comparisons with "The Likely Lads" as well.