The Missing Hancocks

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

The Missing Hancocks

Post by Brock »

Hurray - the Missing Hancocks are back on Radio 4 next Tuesday at 6.30pm! This one should be especially interesting, because it's a remake of one of the episodes that were made with Harry Secombe standing in for Tony Hancock. And who better to play him than Harry's son, Andy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08hnpmg

I'll miss Kevin McNally but I'm sure it'll be a good one. It's just a shame that Alan Simpson won't be around to hear it.

ozsat
625 lines

Re: The Missing Hancocks

Post by ozsat »

For those without iPlayer access - 4 Extra will repeat the show a few times a week later.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I've just caught up with the second episode on iPlayer. It's preceded by an introduction from Neil Pearson, one of the producers of The Missing Hancocks, who explains the circumstances in which Harry Secombe ended up standing in for Tony Hancock. One thing I hadn't realized was that if Hancock hadn't turned up for the fourth episode of the second series then the show would have been retitled to Secombe's Half Hour! (I can only speculate as to whether it would have been articulated as "S-S-Secombe's Half Hour"...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jb9nq

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The first of the last five missing episodes is re-created at 6.30pm tomorrow on Radio 4:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001fw7

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Seems I was wrong in the previous post - the final run of Hancock re-creations starts tonight at 6.30pm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009zcs

The last run consisted of only two episodes, making 17 so far, so I presume this is the first of three.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Not quite - the remainder will follow over Christmas...

5th Nov - The Diamond Ring

18th Dec - Prime Minister Hancock
24th Dec - Christmas Eve Party
25th Dec - Christmas at Aldershot
31st Dec - New Year's Resolutions
1st Jan 2020 - The Counterfeiter (a script pulled in 1955)

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I'm confused now. I thought there were only 20 missing episodes? Ignoring tonight's episode, there are 17 remakes listed here which have already been broadcast (excluding "The Director's Cut", which was an extended version of "The Matador"):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ly3 ... odes/guide

Adding in the five in your post gives 22 (or 23 including the unbroadcast one).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

There are 22 missing episodes, but one of those was a remake of a show that does exist so they needed to remake 21 editions. They've added in one extra rerecordng where an episode exists but in abysmal sound quality, and one further show based on an scheduled but ultimately unused script to make a total of 23 "new" HHH.

5 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 6 =23

The remade episodes are...

1/2: The Diamond Ring remake 5/1
1/5: The Hancock Festival 1/3
1/7: The Department Store Santa 4/2
1/8: Christmas at Aldershot 5/4
1/9: The Christmas Eve Party 5/3
1/15: The Marriage Bureau 2/3

2/1: A Holiday in France 3/1
2/2: The Crown Jewels 3/2
2/3: The Racehorse 3/3
2/4: A Visit to Swansea 3/4
2/7: Prime Minister Hancock 5/2
2/10: The Three Sons 3/5
2/12: The Matador 1/1

3/4: The New Neighbour 1/5
3/5: The Winter Holiday 4/1
3/7: The Red Planet 2/2
3/9: A Visit to Russia 2/4
3/10: The Trial of Father Christmas 2/5
3/11: Cinderella Hancock (remake of existing 1/10) rerecording unnecessary
3/12: The New Year Resolutions 5/5
3/15: The Breakfast Cereal 1/4
3/16: How Hancock Won The War 2/1 (very poor quality original recording exists)
3/17: The Newspaper 1/2

unmade script: The Counterfeiter (planned as 3/11) 5/6

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh thanks very much for that - it's extremely helpful! The publicity up until now has talked about "20 missing episodes" but the opening announcement tonight referred to "nearly two dozen".

I really enjoyed tonight's episode, which had a Guy Fawkes theme - hence the odd one-off scheduling, I presume. Similarly the forthcoming Christmas and New Year episodes have presumably been held back for the appropriate time of year. But how on earth the Radio 4 schedulers could have known that a General Election would happen the week before "Prime Minister Hancock" beats me entirely!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

ian b wrote:Not quite - the remainder will follow over Christmas...

5th Nov - The Diamond Ring

18th Dec - Prime Minister Hancock
24th Dec - Christmas Eve Party
25th Dec - Christmas at Aldershot
31st Dec - New Year's Resolutions
1st Jan 2020 - The Counterfeiter (a script pulled in 1955)
Sorry to return to this again, but where did you get this information from? "Prime Minister Hancock" was broadcast on the 18th, and "Christmas at Aldershot" and "The Counterfeiter" are indeed scheduled for Christmas Day and New Year's Day, but there's no episode scheduled for either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

(I loved "Prime Minister Hancock" by the way - very ingenious plot!)

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Those dates were the intention at the end of October, but now the two episodes are being held over for Christmas 2020.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Thanks for that. Seems an awfully long time to wait before we get the entire set, but I suppose it makes sense from a scheduling point of view.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Well, I think "The Counterfeiter" was worth the 65-year wait! (Question for pedants: since this wasn't a reconstruction, shouldn't it have started with "This is Radio 4" rather than "This is the BBC Light Programme"?)

Interesting to hear the producer Neil Pearson speculating at the start on why the script was never recorded by the original team. I rather think that Tony Hancock didn't like it because he wasn't in it enough, but we shall never know for certain.