Radio Cymru 'Post Prynhawn' music

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Radio Cymru 'Post Prynhawn' music

Post by Nigel Stapley »

This is a last-throw-of-the-dice sort of thing.

Is there anyone out there who would know the identity of the theme music to Radio Cymru's late-afternoon news programme Post Prynhawn which was used from the late 70s until at least the mid 80s?

I always find it difficult to describe these things (and it's particularly hard when you haven't heard the piece for over 30 years), but it's an uptempo piece played by a modern orchestra, with the main melody played on trumpets and with the second theme played by the string section with the trumpets coming back in towards the end of that section.

I thought it might have been one of Rizzati's livelier pieces, but I've gone through all that I can find on YouCan'tMentionThatWebSiteHere with no success.

Would the title have been shown on the PasBs for the programme, do you know? If so, how could I track the info down?

Thanks in advance.

David Ballard
405 lines

Re: Radio Cymru 'Post Prynhawn' music

Post by David Ballard »

Although I can't answer your question, I'm fairly sure that I have a recording of it from the early 80s. I'm away from home at the moment but when I get back I'll see if I can find it and post it somewhere.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

David,

Did you ever manage to track this piece down?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The first port of call would be the current Post Prynhawn offices - they may well have the music logged in case they need to do a retrospective piece. PasBs, if they still exist, would probably be held in Wales, probably BBC, but possibly National Library of Wales, so if it were me, I'd be contacting them next. If all else fails, then you could try the BBC Written Archives at Caversham.

When I was researching the framework for Genome a decade ago, Nations channel information wasn't readily available outside of the Nations and I never got the chance to chase that up as the scope of Genome was always based on the London edition of the Radio Times.

If it is any help, by the 90s I think they were using Powergames 1 (https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/BR-0134) Released in 1993, this obviously isn't what you are seeking, but you might want to listen anyway.

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

Nigel Stapley wrote:David,

Did you ever manage to track this piece down?
Hi Nigel,

Sorry for taking so long. I've not found it yet, I'm afraid. It's not on any of the cassettes I've already transferred and I've been having problems with my PC which has delayed transferring the rest. I'm determined to find it though!

David

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

@David,

Many thanks for your efforts on this, it's much appreciated.

@stearn,

Yes, I think that's what they were using in the 90s. I'll see if I can follow up on your leads. Thanks for that.