Canaries in the Air

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Paul Hayes
625 lines

Canaries in the Air

Post by Paul Hayes »

A self-promotional post, I am afraid, but about something which I felt was justified as it may be of interest to members here.

This coming Sunday, the 17th, I have a documentary going out on BBC Radio Norfolk called Canaries in the Air. It tells the story of Norwich City's 1959 FA Cup run, when they reached the semi-finals as a Third Division side, beating First Division giants Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur along the way.

I know this sounds very specific, but I think it is of wider interest, to anybody with any interest in the history of football, the history of football coverage or of radio more generally. Norwich City's 1959 Cup Run is one of the great giant-killing runs; as the BBC Sports Review of the Year put it at the time, no team had ever captured public imagination the way they did.

There's also plenty of rare and interesting archive material, and a glimpse into a world where full live football commentaries very rarely happened, and had to be kept secret if they did... I suspect there is more archive surviving of this cup run than from any comparable team of the era, and also some bits of television audio which I am certain haven't seen the light of day since they were first broadcast 60 years ago.

Anyway, it will be available live online here from 1pm on Sunday, or for 30 days afterwards:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06yyyl7

I hope you enjoy it if you do have a listen! I'm very pleased with and proud of it, anyway.