Radio scripts

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Mark
Committee

Radio scripts

Post by Mark »

With the various threads on TV scripts, I was wondering what's known to exist of Radio scripts as well.

There have been various script books of course, for series like "Hancock's Half Hour" ( missing ones brilliantly brought to life by the new cast) and "The Goon Show".

Were these writers copies?...is there much known to exist at the BBC?

I noticed a while back, there was a "Floggits" script up for sale on Neil Pearsons Showbiz site.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

stearn
Committee

Re: Radio scripts

Post by stearn »

I've never had the need to access them, but I was under the impression that large numbers of scripts are held at Caversham (less hard copy, more microfilm). The first two series of The Goon Show were photocopied by the GSPS at Caversham and I subsequently digitised them. There are certainly collections of scripts outside the BBC held by former employees, or those who have bought from former employees. I have a couple of Goon Shows, an ITMA, and the Beyond Our Ken and Round The Horne scripts Douglas Smith kept.

Kaleidoscope have quite a number where writers and performers have donated them, the Monkhouse archive, which was quite extensive as it seems he would grab anything that wasn't nailed down (and have a good go with anything that was), and the Granada Script Archive in digital form (spare copies from Granada's archives that I digitised).

I have also digitised At Last The 1948 Show scripts, that were obviously retained somewhere in the past for someone to be able to get photocopies, and a fairly good run of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again (Humphrey Barclay was one source, and the others IIRC were from someone who worked in admin at the Beeb at the time).

Many writers don't keep their stuff, dumping or giving it away for charity auctions - think Fork Handles. I regret not contacting Rodney Wingfield a few months earlier than I did as he had had a clear out and got rid of loads of his scripts, which probably ended up in landfill not far from where I was living at the time!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks, very interesting, good to know there is a fair few about.

There's the "Hitch-Hikers" scripts too, presumably from Douglas Adams's archive?... released in book form a while ago of course.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:I noticed a while back, there was a "Floggits" script up for sale on Neil Pearsons Showbiz site.
They are still there - and with the prices Pearson wants for them I'm not surprised!

https://www.neilpearsonrarebooks.com/performing-arts

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mark wrote:I noticed a while back, there was a "Floggits" script up for sale on Neil Pearsons Showbiz site.
They are still there - and with the prices Pearson wants for them I'm not surprised!

https://www.neilpearsonrarebooks.com/performing-arts
This is very true!

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Do you think he's just got his decimal points in the wrong place by tapping in those two extra zeros that software knows you are going to put in, so does it for you already. They are all a bit steep.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

stearn wrote:Do you think he's just got his decimal points in the wrong place by tapping in those two extra zeros that software knows you are going to put in, so does it for you already. They are all a bit steep.
Yes, it's a bit of a shame, there are some interesting items there, Joan Sims's "Stop Messing About!" script, for one.