The News Quiz

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Dave Homewood
405 lines

The News Quiz

Post by Dave Homewood »

I cannot help but feel that the brilliant BBC Radio 4 comedy satire series has lost a huge amount with the departure of Miles Jupp from the presenter's role, as he was utterly brilliant and so sharp. Of all the many years I have listened to the series he has by far been the very best presenter.

And I am hugely disappointed they have chosen to replace him with one the least funny of all their comedians, Nish Kumar. He's just not a patch in my view.

Also the most recent episode had some woman who I could hardly understand a word of, why? Why on radio? Sadly the series has gone downhill, and I hope someone steps in and saves it soon.

brigham
HD

Re: The News Quiz

Post by brigham »

Dave Homewood wrote:

Also the most recent episode had some woman who I could hardly understand a word of, why? Why on radio? Sadly the series has gone downhill, and I hope someone steps in and saves it soon.
Perhaps she's been 'DAbbotted-in'?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Dave Homewood wrote:I cannot help but feel that the brilliant BBC Radio 4 comedy satire series has lost a huge amount with the departure of Miles Jupp from the presenter's role, as he was utterly brilliant and so sharp. Of all the many years I have listened to the series he has by far been the very best presenter.
I think Sandi Toksvig was my favourite, but Miles was certainly very entertaining.
And I am hugely disappointed they have chosen to replace him with one the least funny of all their comedians, Nish Kumar. He's just not a patch in my view.
Actually he's one of three rotating hosts: Nish, Angela Barnes and Andy Zaltzman will each do a series in turn. But I agree that he hasn't been too impressive so far.
That was Rosie Jones, who has cerebral palsy. It isn't the first time they've had a panellist with cerebral palsy - Francesca Martinez made a few appearances some years ago. I think Rosie was very funny but I agree that it can make challenging listening for some.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

For me, it took a little while to get used to Miles Jupp and it certainly took him a series to settle down properly. I was very disappointed when he announced he was leaving, more so than when Sandi Toksvig went, although I thought she was perfect in the chair.

I listened to the first edition with Nish Kumar and found it very hard going. I have downloaded the second edition podcast, but haven't bothered with it and, if I am honest, probably won't. Funnily enough, he was on an edition of Pointless Celebrities that was on TV in the background at the weekend, and I found him irritating on that. I may tune in for the editions with the other hosts, but that assumes I will remember who is on when. It was about the last thing on Radio 4 that I actually made a point of listening to.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Now that the News Quiz has finished its run, maybe I could point people in the direction of Breaking the News, BBC Radio Scotland's own news-based panel show, which has recently returned for its 15th series and is frequently funnier than its London counterpart. I thought this week's edition was absolutely hysterical. (Andrew Maxwell recycled his coronavirus joke from The News Quiz, but it was worth hearing again.) One of the few non-network programmes that I make a point of seeking out on BBC Sounds.

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

Yep I always listen to Breaking The News, it's great. I'm glad the next series of The News Quiz will be hosted by Angela Barnes too.