Rewinder

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

Rewinder

Post by Brock »

Don't think I've mentioned Rewinder here before. It's a series that comes round from time to time on Radio 4 on Saturday mornings, delving into the BBC Sound Archives and coming up with some surprising discoveries. Some of you may remember a similar Monday-morning series many years ago, presented by the late John Ebdon amongst others - but this one's presented by 34-year-old Greg James, Radio 1 DJ and "self-confessed radio nerd". It has the added advantage of incorporating suggestions from listeners, and this week a request for recordings of Peter Cook brought up clips of his ill-fated BBC2 chat show Where Do I Sit?, which was cancelled after three episodes. Other TV material includes clips of Training Dogs the Woodhouse Way, Record Breakers and The Generation Game, but there's much else besides - including one recording which pre-dates the BBC!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00055q2

brigham
HD

Re: Rewinder

Post by brigham »

Fascinating.

Lots of recordings 'pre-date the BBC', so I assume this one has some broadcasting relevance.

Is it Peter Eckersley's famous Station Identification for Two Emma Toc?

On the same page, I note the BBC's remarkable lack of enthusiasm for the now-saintly Elton John.

Before he 'came out', presumably!

Brock
HD

Re: Rewinder

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:50 am
Fascinating.

Lots of recordings 'pre-date the BBC', so I assume this one has some broadcasting relevance.

Is it Peter Eckersley's famous Station Identification for Two Emma Toc?
No, it's a recording of Florence Nightingale from 1890. It was chosen because it was her 200th anniversary this week.