Andy Marriott's Television Show

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

Andy Marriott's Television Show

Post by Brock »

Got to give a little plug for Andy Marriott's Television Show, an hour of nostalgic TV themes every Saturday at 5pm on Serenade Radio, an internet-only radio station that I've recently discovered which mostly plays "easy listening" music (like Radio 2 from about 50 years ago!). He takes requests as well.

Brock
HD

Re: Andy Marriott's Television Show

Post by Brock »

Just played the theme tune from Agony. I don't think you'd hear that anywhere else!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

If you're listening in the Bournemouth area, Serenade Radio will be available on DAB from Monday:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/07/serena ... multiplex/

I really would recommend it to listeners of a certain generation - it's aimed at the over-60s, although as a 54-year-old fan I think I'm old before my time!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:10 pm
If you're listening in the Bournemouth area, Serenade Radio will be available on DAB from Monday:

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/07/serena ... multiplex/

I really would recommend it to listeners of a certain generation - it's aimed at the over-60s, although as a 54-year-old fan I think I'm old before my time!
I'll certainly give it a go, as I love Feem Toons, even though I'm barely 19, and I don't care who knows it!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I was hoping that Serenade Radio might have some sort of catch-up service so that I could give you a link to the programme, but there doesn't seem to be one - although if you miss it at 5pm on Saturday there's a repeat at 5am on Sunday!

It's presented in a fitting style, often with the appropriate ITV company ident before the theme tune, and with a "commercial break" in the middle where they play soundtracks from a few classic ads (the station doesn't have any real paid-for ads, thankfully). Great fun and, if you're like me, you can try to guess the programme from the tune since he quite often doesn't announce them until afterwards. Some well-known ones in there and some real obscurities. And, as I said before, you can email in and request your own.

You get the occasional theme tune thrown in during the rest of the schedules as well. I'm listening right now and a few minutes ago they played Tony Hatch's theme for Out of This World (which I don't actually remember).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Sounds like they do a good job on it then.

Yes, I like the "Out Of This World" theme too, great piece of music, another Hatch belter!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Just discovered that Trish Bertram (ex-LWT) does the announcements at weekends. I thought that voice sounded familiar!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

This week's selection:

Department S - Edwin Astley
Dial 999
Ghost Squad
The Power Game - The Cyril Stapleton Orchestra
Bird of Prey
Where the Heart Is
Hannay
Bulman
Survivors
The Changes
General Hospital
The Baron - Edwin Astley
Goodnight Sweetheart
Knots Landing
Wimbledon closing theme ("A Sporting Occasion" - Arnold Steck)
Professional Wrestling (from when?)
Blackadder
The Golden Girls
The Protectors ("Avenues and Alleyways" - Tony Christie)

Adverts - Nestle's Milk
Penguin
Nimble

The Invisible Man (US series)
Scarecrow and Mrs King
House of Eliott
Vision On gallery music ("Left Bank Two" - Wayne Hill)
Jonathan Creek (Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre)
Partners in Crime
Inspector Alleyn - Anne Dudley
The Ghosts of Motley Hall
Muffin the Mule
Woomerang Boomerang - Jean Morton with Tingha and Tucker
Mr Rose - Roy Budd
News at Ten
Wonder Woman - Gimbel and Fox
Spider-Man
Weekend World
Jeeves and Wooster - Anne Dudley

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Managed to catch it, you are right, it was excellent, I think I managed to name them after the first few bars, with the exception of "Knot's Landing", it was familiar, but took me a while longer, good theme though.

I always preferred the original theme for "General Hospital", but the host didn't seem to like the show anyway, but I liked his intro for "Survivors", 'There's a virus spreading across the world and it started in China...in 1975!'.

Some cracking themes though, "Ghost Squad" and "Bird Of Prey" to name but two, I think the "Mr Rose" cover, came from the 'Time For TV' album, which I still have, a good cover by Brian Fahey.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Glad you enjoyed it! It's kind of addictive after a while.

By the way, Andy Marriott used to work as an announcer for Central TV and for LWT. He's the founder and managing director of Serenade Radio, and presents a two-and-a-half-hour programme on the station every weekday as well as the Television Show on Saturdays. It's all run by volunteers as far as I can gather, and funded by donations from listeners. An excellent station all round.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Well he certainly does a good job, manages to pack a lot of themes in the hour.

Some must come from DVD, as "The Ghosts Of Motley Hall" was obviously from the titles, so no full one of that sadly.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Another good show today - although there was a little bit of a clanger when he played the HTV ident before the version of the "Mr & Mrs" theme tune that was used on Border. (At least I think it was only used on Border - I can't remember the HTV theme music.)

First time I'd heard the "Mr & Mrs" tune in full, though - and also the first time I'd heard the full version of Bruce Forsyth's theme song for the Generation Game!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

HTV version was 'Love and Marriage', I think.

It was a good show, poor old "Mr & Mrs" though, I wouldn't say it was 'Naff', a decent and gentle show I thought, also "Space Patrol" theme is very musical, and the use of the dreaded word 'Dated'!!!

Shame some of the themes are so short though, but I suppose it's partly trying to fit in as many as possible in the time.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:02 am
Shame some of the themes are so short though, but I suppose it's partly trying to fit in as many as possible in the time.
Isn't it the other way round - he has to put so many in because they're so short? Not all theme tunes are available in full-length versions.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

This week's playlist for anyone who missed it:

Dempsey & Makepeace, The Sullivans, Wish Me Luck, The Gemini Man, The Fall Guy, Shillingbury Tales, The Simpsons, Dangermouse, Space 1999 (series 1),The District Nurse, A Horseman Riding By, Callan, 1990, The Equalizer, The New Professionals, Minder, New Tricks, Stay Lucky

Ads - Butlins, Horlicks, 1001 cleaner, Birds Eye Crispy Cod Fries

W. Somerset Maugham, Jewel in the Crown, Jennie Lady Randolph Churchill, Mary Mungo & Midge, Camberwick Green, Mr Benn, Soap, Grandstand ("News Scoop"), ITN News ("Non-stop"), Wimbledon closing theme[*], Cannon, McCloud, MacMillan and Wife, Journey to the Unknown, Hammer House of Horror, Hammer House of Mystery & Suspense, Number 73

[*]"A Sporting Occasion" by Arnold Steck - played two weeks ago!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh I don't believe it. He's just played the "Welcome Home to ITV" promo from when they returned from strike in October 1979!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I was doing the "321" fingers, just before the show was mentioned in the "ITV Back" promo.!

Liked the bundle of Anderson themes, especially "Secret Service", I have a Mike Sammes comp, which must qualify as one of the most unusual CD titles, 'Music For Biscuits', ( it includes ads they did, such as ones for Biscuits).

The Police series collection was also very nice, ( although they were all clobbered at the end with 'Dated' again!).

I have the first theme for "Pebble Mill" ('As You Please') always emotional to hear that one, the second theme is also excellent ('Millers Tune').

The week before, it wasn't "MacMillan and Wife" though, it was the "Mystery Movie" theme.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Last week my computer crashed at an inopportune moment and I couldn't get the full list - think I've got this week's. A few repeats from the last few weeks but lots of good new ones.

Dempsey & Makepeace, Pulaski, Rockliffe's Babies, Prisoner Cell Block H, Minder, Strange Report[* ], Champion the Wonder Horse, Daktari, Hijacked (from an episode of Joe 90), Knight Rider, Fall of Eagles, A Horseman Riding By, Dave Allen at Large, The Good Life, Laverne & Shirley, The Baron

Ads - Sunsilk (featuring "The Girl with the Sun in her Hair" by John Barry), Yellow Pages (the classic "J.R. Hartley" ad), TV Times

Cadfael, Midsomer Murders, Man Alive, This Morning, Green Acres[**], Blandings, Hogan's Heroes, SWAT, Voyagers, Black Beauty, Rosie & Jim, Postman Pat, Record Breakers, Humans, Sliders, Man from UNCLE, Milk Tray ad music ("The Night Rider" by Cliff Adams), MacGyver, The Rockford Files, Call My Bluff

[*] Also used as the opening and closing theme music every week - in full this time though!
[**] Was this US series ever shown in the UK? Don't recall it.

I'm thinking of sending a request in myself next week but I don't want to suggest anything too predictable. Do you think he'd play Whoops Apocalypse?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Tyne-Tees (Ch.8) showed Green Acres.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Green Acres was first shown on BBC 1 through much of 1966 into 1967 at first tea-time Sundays, later Friday mid-evening and finally Thursday early evening. A few episodes were shown in the summer and 1968.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Interesting selection this week, I thought:

The Duchess of Duke Street, To the Manor Born, Wings, Penmarric, Nanny, No Hiding Place, Echo Four-Two, Terrahawks, Tripods, First Wave, Hector's House, The Magic Roundabout, Reilly Ace of Spies, Rooms, Country Matters, Belle and Sebastian (Belle et Sébastien), Road Runner, Jason King, The Prisoner

Ads - Danish bacon, Flash, Kellogg's Corn Flakes

Juke Box Jury, The Darling Buds of May, Bouquet of Barbed Wire, The Sentimental Agent, Boon, Jemima Shore Investigates, Star Cops, Bewitched, Dr Kildare, Poldark, The Flintstones, Sez Les, Dad's Army

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Which 'Flintstones'?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:01 pm
Which 'Flintstones'?
The original ("Rise and Shine"), I think. If I happen to wake up around 5.45am tomorrow for the repeat I'll confirm it - since there's no catch-up facility, that seems to be the only way of checking!

EDIT: I did wake up early but completely forgot - sorry. I'm pretty sure it wasn't "Meet the Flintstones", though.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

On the week before last's show, it was a shame we didn't get the full "Black Beauty" theme, which is one of the greats, but the full blast of "Postman Pat", (as good as that one is though).

Last weeks show was a very strong line-up, "Boon", "Terrahawks", "The Tripods" and "Star Cops", a very good show.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

An enjoyable pick this week:

Call My Bluff, Sapphire & Steel, V - The Series, New Scotland Yard, Peter Gunn, The Bretts, Sorrell & Son, Edward the Seventh, Charmed, The Green Hornet, Happy Days, Me & My Girl, The Young Doctors, The Streets of San Francisco, Man in a Suitcase[*], The New Avengers, Danger UXB, Campion, Christabel

Ads - Birds Eye Beef Burgers, Golden Wonder Potato Crisps, Smarties, Ready Brek

Boy Dominic, Tales of Edgar Wallace[**], The Beiderbecke Connection, London's Burning, The Mallens, Kolchak - The Night Stalker, All Creatures Great & Small[***], Noah's Ark, Grandstand ("News Scoop"), Law & Order UK, The Flockton Flyer, The Wombles, Central TV closedown sequence, Law & Order (US), Blue Bloods, Ironside

[*]Also used for TFI Friday, though this wasn't mentioned.
[**]As pointed out, not strictly a TV theme! Someone requested it and it was on TV a lot, though.
[***]Original BBC version, not the recent Channel 5 revival. (Sadly it was an off-air recording and the whole thing didn't get played.)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it was another strong one, the full version of "Me & My Girl" which was great, but "The Flockton Flyer" came and went like an express train, probably no full length version was made though.

The excellent "Grandstand" theme was played ( the best one) which unfortunately led to another outing for 'Dated', oh well.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"News Scoop". The associated captions sequence was inspired!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Another great pick this week. My highlight was the full version of Going Straight sung by Ronnie Barker, which I'd never heard before and has some very witty lyrics (whatever your view of the programme - I liked it although Andy Marriott clearly didn't!).

Test card music - "Barking"

Joe 90, Supercar, Stingray end theme ("Aqua Marina"), The Munsters, Going Straight, The Beverley Hillbillies, Shine On Harvey Moon, Goodnight Sweetheart, The Adventurer, The Human Jungle, The Persuaders, The Golden Girls, Only Fools and Horses (opening theme), 'Allo 'Allo, Worzel Gummidge, Hector's House, Bill & Ben, Blue Peter, Star Trek, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis

Ads - Nestle's Milk, Penguin, Nimble

Cade's County, General Hospital, Dangerfield, Ivanhoe, William Tell, The Adventures of Sir Lancelot, Reilly Ace of Spies, The Edwardians, Wings, Anglia TV transmitter announcement, Yogi Bear, Looney Tunes ("The Merry-Go-Round Breaks Down"), Top Cat, Popeye, Juliet Bravo, Dick Turpin, Clarence ("Keep Your Sunny Side Up")

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, another good line-up, and it was nice to hear the full version of "Going Straight", although I have heard it before, it's very good.

On the other hand, no full version of Denis King's "Dick Turpin" as with his other classic "Black Beauty" a couple of weeks ago ( although it was near the end of the show) the full version is excellent, a cracking tune.

"General Hospital" was also on recently, and still not the first and best version.

Interesting to hear Mancini's "Cade's County", not unlike his "Mystery Movie" theme.

Dated, said again, I expect it's going to pop up every week, to be honest.

Loved the story of Anglia staff calling it 'Angela'.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 pm
Dated, said again, I expect it's going to pop up every week, to be honest.
Seems an odd word to use on a station that's entirely given over to musical nostalgia. He regularly plays records from as long ago as the 1930s on his weekday programme and I've never heard him refer to those as "dated"!
Loved the story of Anglia staff calling it 'Angela'.
Yes, I like the little snippets of "inside information" that he occasionally throws in.