Andy Marriott's Television Show

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Mark
Committee

Re: Andy Marriott's Television Show

Post by Mark »

That's a good point, songs are time-locked and no one seems to mind, but if it's TV themes ( and the programmes themselves), different story.

Watched "Dempsey And Makepeace" , "Home To Roost" and "Two In Clover", on Forces TV earlier...and guess who the announcer is!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

An absolutely smashing line-up this week - perhaps the best I've heard so far. It started with the full version of Murder, She Wrote, which won an Emmy for its British composer John Addison, a very fine composer of film themes and "serious" orchestral music as well. Shame it was wasted on a second-rate American TV series! Andy Marriott didn't credit him at all, which I thought was a bit of a omission (other well-known composers like Ron Grainer got a mention).

Other highlights were The Pallisers by Herbert Chappell, another fine orchestral piece, and one of my all-time favourites - "Penthouse Suite" by Syd Dale, which was used as the theme for Tarrant on TV but seems to pop up all over the place, notably in one episode of Father Ted.

Full list:

Murder She Wrote, A Touch of Frost (Ray Russell), The Name of the Game, Paul Temple (Ron Grainer), Fringe, Captain Scarlet, Sunday Night at the London Palladium (performance by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia), Tarrant on TV ("Penthouse Suite"), Sykes, Ask the Family ("Sun Ride" by John Leach)[*], Play School, Vision On gallery music ("Left Bank Two" - again!), Foyle's War, New Tricks, The Mr Men, Pie in the Sky, Public Eye, The Pallisers, Rumpole of the Bailey

Ads: Butlins, Horlicks, 1001 carpet cleaner, Birds Eye Crispy Cod Fries

The Addams Family, The Last Train, The Changes, Knight Rider, The Magician, The Bionic Woman, And Mother Makes Three, Steptoe & Son ("Old Ned" by Ron Grainer), Nearest & Dearest, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Flaxton Boys

[*]Not my favourite! I preferred the earlier "Acka Raga".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was certainly another good line-up.

Great to hear the full version of the excellent "Paul Temple" and "Rumpole Of The Bailey", but a shame we didn't get the all of "Public Eye", ( you could even tell it was taken off the DVD because of the sound of a train passing by!).

Some golden oldies with "The Magician" and "The Name Of The Game", I don't think I have seen the latter since it was on in the 60's!

"The Changes" is another favourite, although I'm not sure if the "Mr Men" theme was for the later series or not, ISTR the original theme ( on the Arthur Lowe episodes) was a slower instrumental version of it.

Interesting to hear "Sykes" is to be repeated, what channel though, Forces TV ?, ( which he is working on at the moment), except they haven't been showing BBC material, or could it be Gold?

I was agreeing with all he said on the show...until his attack on poor old "Nearest And Dearest", it was a great show, I think he must be a lot younger than some of us though, a few weeks ago he mentioned "Casey Jones" on Saturday mornings, I recall it on weekdays back in the 60's.

Agree with you on 'Acka Raga', by the way, by far the best, and a cracking tune.!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Quite a few repeats from recent weeks this time, but a good programme none the less. My personal pick this week was I Didn't Know You Cared - also Love Thy Neighbour simply because he had the nerve to play it! Incidentally I hadn't realized that Andy Marriott was a contributor to this forum until about a year ago.

Jeeves & Wooster, Blue Peter, Felix the Cat, Willo the Wisp, Ace of Wands, The Tomorrow People, David Frost theme (George Martin)[*], The Girl from UNCLE, Bergerac, Connie, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Thorn Birds, Coronation Street, Dallas, The Colbys, The Main Chance (series 4), Hadleigh (later series)

Ads - Gillette, Macleans, Birds Eye, Sara Lee

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Inspector Morse, Please Sir!, Love Thy Neighbour, I Didn't Know You Cared, UFO, The Prisoner, Barrier Reef, Chopper Squad, Stingray, The Spoils of War, The Victorian Kitchen Garden, Last Tango in Halifax, Stay Lucky, Harry's Game, Mission Impossible

[*]Announced as The David Frost Show, but I think that was the title of his US series. According to this site, the title is "By George! It's the David Frost Theme" and it was variously used on The Frost Programme as well as Frost on Friday/Saturday/Sunday between 1966 and 1973.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Brock wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:38 pm
"... also Love Thy Neighbour simply because he had the nerve to play it!"
It would be dreadful if today's narrow-mindedness were to spoil the enjoyment of this delightful pre-war dance band classic.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:25 am
Brock wrote:
It would be dreadful if today's narrow-mindedness were to spoil the enjoyment of this delightful pre-war dance band classic.
Yep...lets just pretend it's that one!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Quite a few repeats from recent weeks this time, but a good programme none the less. My personal pick this week was I Didn't Know You Cared - also Love Thy Neighbour simply because he had the nerve to play it! Incidentally I hadn't realized that Andy Marriott was a contributor to this forum until about a year ago.

Jeeves & Wooster, Blue Peter, Felix the Cat, Willo the Wisp, Ace of Wands, The Tomorrow People, David Frost theme (George Martin)[*], The Girl from UNCLE, Bergerac, Connie, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Thorn Birds, Coronation Street, Dallas, The Colbys, The Main Chance (series 4), Hadleigh (later series)

Ads - Gillette, Macleans, Birds Eye, Sara Lee

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Inspector Morse, Please Sir!, Love Thy Neighbour, I Didn't Know You Cared, UFO, The Prisoner, Barrier Reef, Chopper Squad, Stingray, The Spoils of War, The Victorian Kitchen Garden, Last Tango in Halifax, Stay Lucky, Harry's Game, Mission Impossible

[*]Announced as The David Frost Show, but I think that was the title of his US series. According to this site, the title is "By George! It's the David Frost Theme" and it was variously used on The Frost Programme as well as Frost on Friday/Saturday/Sunday between 1966 and 1973.
Another very good one, loved the double whammy of "Ace Of Wands" and "The Tomorrow People".

Also the better of the two excellent "Hadleigh" themes, and of course, "Please Sir!".

Let's face it, the "LTN" theme is a good tune.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 am
brigham wrote:
Brock wrote:
Sorry?

Was there a different, later theme for 'Love thy Neighbour'?

I didn't hear Marriott' s show, so I don't know what tune he played.

What I DID do, (at the time), was to watch the first series of 'Love thy Neighbour' , and the first thing I noticed was that the theme tune was a rather bland arrangement of the popular dance band hit 'Love thy Neighbour', as recorded by Harry Leader, and played by him on his numerous outings on the BBC's 'Music While you Work' programme right up into the 1960s.

THIS was the song I was referring to in my original post.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:26 am
Mark wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:16 am
brigham wrote:

Sorry?

Was there a different, later theme for 'Love thy Neighbour'?
Not that I'm aware of. The song was written by Mack Gordon and Harry Revel, and first recorded by Bing Crosby in 1934. The version used on the TV series was sung by Stuart Gillies, who won Opportunity Knocks in 1971.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

But if it had been the original one, it wouldn't risk any complaints ( which they might play on other Serenade radio shows) being the TV version...any excuse for a moan!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A mixed bag this week, with a number of repeats but quite a few interesting new ones. It's a shame that we got a truncated version of All Creatures Great and Small again - the full version would certainly be worth hearing. We also got the rather curious Parker, Well Done!, which was a sort of mini-story released in 1965 as the B-side to the Thunderbirds theme tune - though not, as far as I know, a theme tune itself. My personal picks were Blott on the Landscape and Here Come the Double Deckers.

Juliet Bravo, Knots Landing, Emmerdale Farm, All Creatures Great & Small, The Darling Buds of May, Dr Finlay's Casebook, Blott on the Landscape, Muffin the Mule, Parker Well Done!, The Invaders, Dan August, CHiPS, Ivanhoe, Richard the Lionheart, A Perfect Hero ("The Bells of Hell Go Ting-a-Ling-a-Ling"), Murder She Wrote

(Ads - Nestle's chocolate, Sunsilk shampoo, Ridgway's tea, Ever Ready batteries, Nescafé)

Clayhanger, The Plane Makers, The Strange World of Gurney Slade, Vera, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, Wycliffe, Here Come the Double Deckers, Josie & the Pussycats, Gentlemen & Players ("Life's a Game" sung by Petula Clark), The Littlest Hobo, The Cedar Tree (closing theme), Softly Softly Task Force, The Big Valley, Father Brown (1974 series), The Zoo Gang

At the end Andy Marriott mentioned that The Zoo Gang was written by Paul McCartney and that he didn't know of any other TV themes by him. What about "Step Inside Love", the theme for the first four series of Cilla? Maybe I should request it next week...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was also a shame we didn't get the full version of "Juliet Bravo", which is a great theme.

In the Distinct Nostalgia interview with the two leads, one remarks that the theme was supposed to be based on, or is a homage' to the "Z Cars" theme.

"Parker Well done" was a nice inclusion as it's great fun, although not a theme as you say.

Also enjoyed "The Plane Makers" , "Softly Softly", "Double Deckers" and of course "The Zoo Gang".

Had to agree with him about the Beeb turning down "All Creatures", although is it true about the reason, not for the young, what about "Call the Midwife", I wouldn't say that was aimed at the younger demographic.

Another good hour though.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thinking about that "Juliet Bravo" interview, it was suggested that the theme was supposed to be the "Z Cars" theme backwards.!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 am
Thinking about that "Juliet Bravo" interview, it was suggested that the theme was supposed to be the "Z Cars" theme backwards.!
I've tried playing the Z Cars theme backwards but I don't hear much resemblance! According to Second-Hand Songs, it's based on the C-minor prelude from Book I of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier - don't know if that's true but the chord sequence is certainly very similar. I can find almost no information on the composer, Derek Goom. It's all a bit of a mystery...

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I always thought it sounded like an ITC theme.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:31 am
Mark wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:21 am
I've tried playing the Z Cars theme backwards but I don't hear much resemblance! According to Second-Hand Songs, it's based on the C-minor prelude from Book I of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier - don't know if that's true but the chord sequence is certainly very similar. I can find almost no information on the composer, Derek Goom. It's all a bit of a mystery...
Might be a coincidence, but the main three notes of " Juliet Bravo" are the first three notes of "Z Cars" backwards, maybe that's where it comes from.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:59 pm
I always thought it sounded like an ITC theme.
Wasn't sure at first, but yes it does a bit.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:05 am
Might be a coincidence, but the main three notes of " Juliet Bravo" are the first three notes of "Z Cars" backwards, maybe that's where it comes from.
I really don't think so. The Juliet Bravo theme is in C minor and the first three notes of the main tune are E flat-G-F. The Z Cars theme is in F major and the first three notes of the main tune are F-A-C. If you play them backwards you get C-A-F - nothing like Juliet Bravo!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Funnily enough, we got the Z Cars theme this week (played forwards!), which may have been intended as a tribute to Frank Windsor, although he didn't say. We also got an entire episode of Hector's House, one that I actually remember watching as a kid (featuring the tuba). This is the third time since I've been listening that he's started with Dempsey & Makepeace - do you think he's got a thing about it? My personal picks were Colditz and The Goodies.

Dempsey & Makepeace, C.A.T.S. Eyes, Z Cars, Unnatural Causes, Top Secret, Soap, The Odd Couple, The Six Million Dollar Man, Logan's Run, Colditz, Who Pays the Ferryman?, Shadow of the Noose, The Magic Roundabout, Hector's House (whole episode), Get Smart, Police Squad!

(Ads - Birds Eye, Golden Wonder, Smarties, Ready Brek)

In Loving Memory, The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams, A Country Practice, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (played last week!), Fourth Arm, By the Sword Divided, Hammer House of Mystery & Suspense, The Grand, The Lost Islands, Jemima Shore Investigates, Joe 90, Inspector Gadget, Mighty Mouse, Mapp & Lucia, Ghost Squad, The Goodies (series 3 onwards)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, good to hear the "Z Cars" theme this week, you are probably right about the backwards thing, I was just 'Der Der' ing it, so the "Z Cars" bit was Der Der Derr, and "Bravo" was Derr Der Der ( babadaa), very technical I Know!...but maybe not!

He is perhaps just giving a sly plug to shows on Forces TV, hence "Dempsey And Makepeace", which is fair enough, and a great theme anyway, helps the ratings for the all these great shows they are screening.

My favs were "The Goodies", "Joe 90" ( I agree with him about the end theme being better than the main one) and "Ghost Squad".

Strange we only got about 30 seconds of "In Loving Memory", as the full version of this Library track is very nice.

"Cats Eyes" series 2 theme was probably better than the first, but there is a full version of the first one released on a TV themes Album, years ago) which is also very good.

"Who Pays The Ferryman" is also a lovely theme, in the charts at the time, and played on "Top Of The Pops".

a complete"Hector's House" episode was a nice idea, although no 'Silly old Hector', at the end.

Oh and 'Dated' again ( about the 'Logan's Run" theme!).

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:21 am
Yes, good to hear the "Z Cars" theme this week, you are probably right about the backwards thing, I was just 'Der Der' ing it, so the "Z Cars" bit was Der Der Derr, and "Bravo" was Derr Der Der ( babadaa), very technical I Know!...but maybe not!
I've looked into both pieces and I genuinely don't think there's any connection. The Z Cars theme was an arrangement by Fritz Spiegl of a traditional Liverpool folk tune, "Johnny Todd". As I mentioned earlier, the Juliet Bravo theme was arranged by Derek Goom and is credited to J.S. Bach, although there's some uncertainty about which Bach piece it's based on - see this MetaFilter thread for discussion. (The C Minor prelude seems like the best bet to me.)
Strange we only got about 30 seconds of "In Loving Memory", as the full version of this Library track is very nice.
I agree, it's a good theme.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Only Mr Goom knows the truth!

The theme from "The Lost Islands" was a little odd, basically singing the plot of the show.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:55 pm
Only Mr Goom knows the truth!

The theme from "The Lost Islands" was a little odd, basically singing the plot of the show.
True.
The only other one that comes to mind is for the 'Beverley Hillbillies'.
Any more?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The theme played over the closing credits to Blackadder II had different lyrics for each episode.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Gilligan's Island" is another one that did it.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Murder Most Horrid (with Dawn French) was another one where the lyrics of the closing theme changed each week to fit the plot. The penultimate line always had to rhyme with "horrid", and as the series went on, the rhymes got more and more ridiculous, until one week they just gave up and sang "la-la-la-la-la-lorrid".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:48 pm
Murder Most Horrid (with Dawn French) was another one where the lyrics of the closing theme changed each week to fit the plot. The penultimate line always had to rhyme with "horrid", and as the series went on, the rhymes got more and more ridiculous, until one week they just gave up and sang "la-la-la-la-la-lorrid".
That's a good one, I remember the series, but had forgotten about that!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Some classics this week! It was fitting that he played "She", the theme to Seven Faces of Woman, with music by Charles Aznavour and lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer, who died this week. However the version he played was sung by Peter Skellern rather than Aznavour himself, who sang on the original recording. Not sure of the reason for this, unless it was a rights issue.

Another one that didn't match my recollection of the TV series was the Scaffold's version of "On the Mountain Stands a Lady", the same tune that was used as the theme for The Liver Birds. The original is a traditional skipping rhyme, and the version released by the Scaffold is an ode to "Liverpool birds beat all the rest", but the version used on the TV show was neither of these - it started "What's got four legs, walks peculiar...", and I don't think it was sung by the Scaffold. There's a thread about it here but I haven't found out who sang the actual TV theme, and I'm not sure why it wasn't played instead.

Interesting to hear the full version of the TV-am theme by Jeff Wayne, which was used as a startup before the beginning of programmes (yes, I did get up that early sometimes!). Also good to hear Cheers again - one of the few US sitcoms I enjoyed. And the Mr Kipling ad.

The Avengers (Laurie Johnson), This is Your Life("Gala Performance" by Laurie Johnson), Owen MD ("Sleepy Shores" - Johnny Pearson), Love Story (ATV), Four Feather Falls (end theme - "Two Gun Tex of Texas" by Michael Holliday), Poldark (70s version), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Granada), Cribb, V - The Series, Sir Francis Drake, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, The South Bank Show (from "Variations" by Andrew Lloyd Webber), Seven Faces of Woman ("She" sung by Peter Skellern), The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Cheers, Roseanne

Ads - After Eight, Birds Eye Fish Fingers, Castrol GTX, British Airways, Mr Kipling

On the Buses, Bootsie & Snudge, Scaffold's version of The Liver Birds, Flambards, The Flame Trees of Thika, Ludwig, Return of the Antelope, Campion, Monarch of the Glen, The Sweeney, The Big Match, TV-am, Police Story, Phoenix Five, The Strauss Family, Call the Midwife, Man in a Suitcase