"Radio 10" schedule 1978

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

"Radio 10" schedule 1978

Post by Brock »

Here's a curiosity that I've just stumbled across - the schedule for the "All Network Service" (dubbed "Radio 10") that was broadcast by the BBC in place of Radios 1, 2, 3 and 4 as a result of industrial action by the ABS on Friday 22 December 1978:
16:00 News Summary – Paddy O’Byrne
16:02 John Dunn including at 16:35 Story Time
17:50 Shipping Forecast with Charles Colville
17:55 Weather Forecast with Michael Shore
18:00 News Summary – Brian Perkins
18:02 Kid Jensen
20:00 News Summary – Jan Leeming
20:02 Cormac Rigby with Popular Classics
22:00 News Summary – Brian Perkins followed by Sports Desk
22:15 Bill Rennells including Shipping and Inshore Forecast with Charles Colville
02:00 News Summary – Cormac Rigby and then closedown
Of course BBC television was completely off the air at the time. I was aware of its existence but I don't remember hearing any of it - I presume I must have been glued to ITV all evening like the rest of the nation (apart from Yorkshire, who had no television at all owing to a separate dispute). I can't imagine that many listeners would have stayed with it for long. Any recollections of this rather curious mish-mash?

Steve Williams
625 lines

Re: "Radio 10" schedule 1978

Post by Steve Williams »

I've got nothing much to add to this other than to say I love this kind of thing and, as you say, it is rather curious. I seem to recall reading that the 10pm news bulletin was also simulcast, in sound only, on the telly. What was Jan Leeming doing at the time, was she a regular radio newsreader? Don't think she was on the telly yet. Seems a bit odd to use so many different newsreaders.

Imagine tuning into Radio 3 and Kid Jensen turning up on it.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Steve Williams wrote:I've got nothing much to add to this other than to say I love this kind of thing and, as you say, it is rather curious. I seem to recall reading that the 10pm news bulletin was also simulcast, in sound only, on the telly. What was Jan Leeming doing at the time, was she a regular radio newsreader? Don't think she was on the telly yet.
She'd certainly been on television presenting Women Only for HTV West in the early 70s, and I think she read the regional news as well, but I don't remember her on BBC radio either.
Seems a bit odd to use so many different newsreaders.
I suppose they didn't want to be seen to be favouring any one network, so they used newsreaders from all four of them. It must have been bewildering for the listeners though.
Imagine tuning into Radio 3 and Kid Jensen turning up on it.
Radio 3 had actually broadcast a small part of Radio 1's output a few weeks previously, in the run-up to the frequency changes on 23 November 1978. Because Radio 3 was moving on to Radio 1's frequency of 1215kHz (247m), it was thought that listeners might need guidance on where to put their free sticker (remember them?), so at one point the Radio 3 announcer asked the engineer to fade up Radio 1 so that people retuning their radios knew what to look out for. Andy Walmsley's blog (from which I took the information in the earlier post) has more about it here - it's a great site if you're interested in this kind of thing.

Clive
625 lines

Post by Clive »

As a collector of old radios, those BBC frequency change stickers are a pain ! They manage to desolve any surface they have been attached to and there is no way to remove them without damaging the surface underneath.

Although the instant nostalgia value always out-weighs all of these problems !

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Brock wrote:Walmsley's blog (from which I took the information in the earlier post) has more about it here - it's a great site if you're interested in this kind of thing.
Indeed. There used to be another clip somewhere online of another time they did that, where they simulcast Tony Blackburn playing I Love America by Patrick Juvet, while Tony shouted "Hello Radio 3! This is where you put your Radio 3 sticker! We're going to be on 275 and 285 by the way!". And the Radio 3 announcer pointing out their new frequency was the date of the Magna Carta.

Michael Hoskin
405 lines

Post by Michael Hoskin »

I remember turning on Radio 4 at about 7pm, expecting to hear The Archers, and was surprised to hear Kid Jensen instead.

I don't think Jan Leeming was a Radio 2 regular at the time, unless she was a newsreader. She started presenting You and the Night and the Music now and again from April 1979, and I also recall hearing Jan Leeming presenting Radio 2 Top Tunes (standing in for Tim Gudgin, the regular presenter who was on holiday) in August 1979, in which pop songs were performed by Norrie Paramor and his orchestra. Paramor died only a couple of weeks later.